My laptop brightness key has stopped working.

I'm sorry, I know little about laptops.

I did find this. One thing it also refers to is possibility of switching off F keys through Control Panel.

I looked up your laptop on the hp website but didn't find anything obvious. Haven't looked at the manual yet, only at Top Issues and at Solutions.

Update:

I read the manual now, and saw the function keys mentioned. I could not find them explained in detail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Scats,

How long has this been happening. If it has just only happened when you turned it on look at the simple things first. A darkened screen normally points to a power (i.e. battery) saving mode. Check that the power cable is fully plugged in, especially at the cable to laptop connection point.

Most laptops have the ability to set various power saving settings and usually have a number of set defaults, mine for example (Acer 8943G) are labelled Balanced, High Performance and Power Saver. All have set defaults that can be customised. On most laptops you can access the power options via Control Panel > Hardware and sound > Power Options or by right clicking on the battery icon in the taskbar notification area.

On my laptop, right clicking on the battery icon also gives an option to adjust the screen brightness

Regards

Brian

Thanks guys nothing seemed to work so in desperation I started the "Computer Reset" routine which gave me a clean slate by returning the default factory settings across the board and it seems to have worked touch wood!

I've got to reinstall games and files and docs and stuff but no big deal, I'd got them all backed up..:)

Archived