Add-on Scenery Requirements and AI Traffic Compatibility

TheBoeing738

Hello simmers,

My hard drive recently crashed and appears to be corrupt - now it appears I have to start from scratch by adding ALL add-ons again (and re-installing FSX).

This time, for the first time ever, I'm considering (finally) purchasing some scenery packs but my computer specs aren't great. I was wondering if anybody knows the specs required for a couple of packs in particular that I'm looking at;

• FTX Melbourne > This also requires the FTX Australia SP4 pack I believe - need specs for this too...
  • FlyTampa Sydney

I also have some other more general questions relating to these packs which I'm hoping can be cleared up:

• 1. SP2 requirement - It's been so long since I've dealt with any FSX installation etc, does SP2 require me to install SP1 as well - or is that already part of FSX? I have to install FSX from scratch unfortunately and I can't remember!
  • 2. There's no overall limit to the number of times FSX can be installed is there? I've already been forced to installed the same disk 3 times but not within the last 18-24 months. Due to complications, I may need to download scenery packs before I re-install FSX so I'm just being super-careful here by asking even though I think I know the answer.

Traffic Compatibility:

• 1. I believe WOAI works with Flytampa - is it also compatible with FTX?
  • 2. Are FTX AI traffic packs more worthwhile? And are they compatible with Flytampa and do they work at default airports? This is actually new info to me as I never realised ORBX made freeway AI packages.

Thankyou for any help - sorry if there are any obvious q's but I just really don't want to make any mistakes here and I haven't yet found conformation :).

Perhaps it's useful to post my laptop specs here too - which I also haven't done for ages so bear with me...

Intel Core i7-2670EM 2.20 GHz

Win7 64-bit

HDD 950(ish) GB

2GB GeForce GT 540M

4GB RAM

I'm aware I'll probably need more RAM and I'm looking into that but individual specs for those packages would really help me determine how much I'll install if anyone knows. Thanks heaps.

One very obvious question is, what version of FSX do you have the CD's of.

Is it just FSX-Deluxe?

Or do you have the FSX-Gold 3 DVD box, which is Fsx-Deluxe plus the extra Accelleration Disk.

(Btw, Deluxe and the Accelearation disk were also sold separately. In that case you would have the exact same disks.)

If you have FSX-Gold you do not need SP1 and SP2 at all. The benefits of the SP1 and SP2 are already in the Acceleration disk, and the service packs should then not be installed separately as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Obvious question was, what OS.

I see you answered that already, Windows7-64bit.

Windows 7 contains a option to create a system image. It's built into Windows in Win7, so no imaging software needed.

If you had made a System image before the mayhem started. A system Image is a snapshot of the entire system, all drives and their contents, compressed in a smaller, easy to store size.

You store a Image on an external drive.

In case of your main drive corrupting, or breaking down, you could have simply:

*bought a new drive if needed,

*plugged it in,

*Booted with your recovery CD in the disk,

*Chosen the option "restore an image" from the options the recovery disk gives,

*restored the image from your external drive,

*And be up and running within half an hour.

All your files, programs, Windows, everything intact.

I made an Image yesterday, so if my drive gets damaged tomorrow, I can go back to the situation from yesterday without any problem.

I would only lose two days of work.

I make an image every one to two weeks.

If you have enough space on the external HD you can keep older images when creating a new one. Just rename the old one, then create a new one.

Real easy, and has saved my butt a few times already. (It comes in real handy if you accidentally install a virus too!!)

Worth looking in to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, sorry I should have mentioned, FSX Deluxe. So I still need to install SP1 and 2 don't I?

Unfortunately, I hadn't bothered to back-up any data which I'm certainly disappointed with myself about. I'd like to think I'd have done so if I previously had payware and a vast amount of add-ons installed. At least I've only lost stuff I can easily re-install again but, yes, I must have a way to back-up this time and will look into it. Thanks for the info.

Yes, you will need to install SP1 and SP2, it will run better with those installed. Better performance.

You can find them here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/

---------------------------------------------

The great thing about a system image is that it does not just backup your data.

It is a snapshot of the full system.

Partitioning, Windows, your programs, data, etc. The whole shebang.

You can restore the image to an empty HDD and you have everything back.

The restore operation takes under an hour.

Windows has it's own inbuilt tool. I used that for a year or so. Succesfully made use of it a few times.

Now I use the imaging software "Acronis" to make images. Payware.

Because I got a free copy with a piece of hardware I bought a while ago.

It has a few extra options.

But I don't use those much really. I do like the fact that saving an image goes a bit faster with this.

Windows own utility does it pretty fast as well though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I should add a note.

You can not restore individual files from an image. Only everything at once.

So I backup all my data seperately. To the same external HDD. (folders 151126D etc. (=26 nov 2015 D)

I have only Win and programs (including fsx) on C. Nothing in 'My Documents' or 'My Pictures' which are also on C.

All my data is on drive D and drive E. So for backing up all I need to do is select the folders on D: and dragging them over to the external into 151126D. I usually drag them over in groups of 10 at a time.

Best to NOT copy the recycle bin over. Copying it back to the pc later by accident can cause issues.

------------

-----------

a note on the image itself:

before I make one I always update programs first.

--

I clean up the desktop.

--

the image takes up around 60% of the size of all files on your pc. If you have 90g on C, 150 on D, 100 on E:( total 340 gb. The image will be around 210 gb at a guess.

---

the Recycle Bin is in the image too. I empty the Recycle Bin before making the image.

---

you can make an image of the whole system, all drives.

*It is also possible to make an image of just C. (actually, the boot partition which is needed is always included. (only 100mb in size, notice, mb !)).

Anywho, just C is possible too.

I remember all I had at one point was a recent image of C and a file backup.

I restored the image. That gave me a drive with only a C partition with win and all progr intact, and a lot of free space also.

I then created a new D and E partition in the free space. And copied my date back.

All hunky-doorie.

---

---

there are many ways of approaching it.

Best have both an image and some backup as well.

Even if you'r not sure what image is right for you, make one. The read up on it.

Lot's of info online.

Especially in my case a backup is needed. My windows is OEM and therefore tied to the Pc (mainboard).

I would be able to restore the image to a new Pc, but Windows will not run there, as it can't activate on that new mainboard with my old key.

With a backup on cm external I would still have all my files.

I would be able to buy a new copy of windows, and copy the files back.

-----------------

I think I make a full image of all drives every 6 weeks or so

an image of just C every one to two weeks, and before "scary installs".

a backup of all files at the same time as a system image.

It varies a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So each time you save to the external drive, do you just overwrite the previous backup on it? I don't want to see myself getting 'cluttered' by what's on the external drive each time. On that note, more of a general hardware question, would you have any clue if I could now use this old internal HDD for backing up data? I have a SATA USB cable which connects it fine. Would you, or someone else, know if 'formatting' the disk as it prompts me to do, and overwriting the current files which are inaccessible, would make it a blank HDD which would now act as an external HDD??

An update on my computer specs for my original scenery questions. I'm looking at upgrading to 8GB RAM. Does anyone know if that will be enough in total for these 3 scenery packs:

• FTX Melbourne(YMML)
  • FTX Australia SP4
  • FlyTampa Sydney
  • Also, GSX?

One last thing, I managed to find specs required for ANOTHER FTX airport pack - which says min. requirement is a 2.4GHz processor. Am I at a loss here with my processor of 2.2, as in, would this apply to all ORBX packages?

Thanks, I think I've narrowed my original silly questions down to the processor concern!

Hold off on formatting!

It is probably quite easy to get your data back.

If you want to do it yourself, you could download and burn a live CD of some Linux version. This is a cd that you can burn. free. It runs (boots) from CD and needs no HDD to be on. It installs no files on HD.

But!!! it is a full OS. You can access your drives with it.

You can use it to cop all your data to an External HD.

Then disconnect the ecternal,

Then reinstall windows on the internal HDD. And happily reclaim all your files.:):):) Happy days!

------------------------

----------------------

It would mean getting used to Linux, but, not to worry.

It comes with a desktop, just like windows,

It has a file explorer, just like windows does.

(scroll down, better (easyer) option then Linux mentioned below)

---------------------

-------------------------

If you feel uncomfortable with this, bring your pc, or just the internal HDD to a good local repair shop.

They will definitely have similar software available and should be able to get all your personal data back to you in a few days. They will probably put it on an external HDD as well.

I have a local shop here that does this for a very small fee.

-------

I recently received an old HDD from a friend that had 5 years worth of personal pictures on it. Documents, pictures of granddaughters first 4 years, other family members, She was a semi-pro photographer. So the pictures meant a lot to her. That was an external, SMART data failed, Thing smelt like burnt wool.

Using a Linux live CD I managed to rescue 98 percent of her files, to a new external I bought for her.

Took me a few days, the usb interface of the drive had failed so I had to take her old external apart so I could hook it up. most time went into making sure everything was copied over correctly, but, well worth the effort.

----------------

anywho, don't format your old drive just yet. Especilly if you have important documents, pictures, etc on it that you have no copies of.

Often most of it can easily be recovered.

If you ave a second PC available, you can hook it up in there as an additional drive, access it with that OS, and recover your files that way.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.:):)

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I've been advised to take it into a repair shop and see what they can do. I don't like my chances but that's because I've always had such bad luck with any hardware or software. Which is why I'm always asking question about so many things on this forum haha!

I don't think I have the patience or frankly the motivation to deal with it myself but I WAS meaning to go to a repair shop today but haven't got around to it. Perhaps tomorrow. After that, I can't make it back into town for the rest of the week but wanted FSX in the meantime at home!

Let's say I don't get to a repair place for a couple of weeks: If my files are recovered, and I install FSX in the meantime on the new/current HDD, if I copy the recovered files onto the current drive, FSX will still be installed on the old drive from last time right? As you can see I have no experience with this, sorry, just don't want to go into the FSX activation-time limit - that would kill me!

You can (quite easily):

-1- get new HDD

-2- disconnect old hdd

-3- connect only new HDD

-4- install windows on new HDD

Then:

-5- Hook up old hdd as well

-6- (Maybe make sure the system boots from new HDD still, in bios, select drive to boot from.

In same menu as when selcting "booting from a CD".

But may not be needed.

Selecting in bios only needed if won't boot after connecting old hdd, because that would mean it's trying to boot from old hdd instead of correct drive. )

-7- Old drive contains files of windows, fsx etc, but....

NOT A PROBLEM. Those are not active programs. They are concidered by the new OS as pure DATA. Not as working programs.

-8- WARNING. Do not go trying to start the old .exe files on the old hdd.

Treat it as old data.

Running programs from there is a very bad idea. your new windows install will not like this.

Save your pictures, your documents, etc.

-9- Btw, the old hdd drives will get new drive letters. Your old C drive will not be named C any more.

On the new HDD you have a C: drive already.

(Maybe also D:) )

In that case old "C" from he old hdd, wil now become E automatically.

-9- Install any programs you want to C on the new HDD. Use the installers.

No copying "intact" folders!

-10- If you also install FSX, you can even move over old files from the old hdd. Aircraft, Addon Airports, Gauges, texures, etc.

-11- Before you start installing extra programs, copying over files, pictures etc,

BACKUP THE SUFF FROM THE OLD hdd TO AN EXTERNAL HDD. ALL OF IT.

You said the old drive was showing corruption, maybe failing. So don't wait, back it all up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, I have another suggestion. Takes some typing.

Realised also I didn't specify, but in the previous post (post #9) I was referring to two internal drives.

Using the Windows method in your case would be much easyer.

I was forced to use Linux back then, as her drive was from an Apple computer.

But I had used it before, so Linux wasn't a steep learning curve.

If you never used it (or DOS) before, then maybe stay away from Linux for now.

I'll explain another method in a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a bit of confusion; when you're referring to a new HDD, is the one I'm currently using fine? It was just installed and has essentially nothing on it. Windows 7 has just been installed. The old hard drive that appears corrupt is the one you refer to is step 5, I presume? If so, is this after I possibly recover it? Because right now I can't access it with the SATA cable - although I haven't tried internally either.

And when you say hooking them up together, do you mean both internally? Or one with a SATA cable? (This is a laptop btw). Yeah, I was hoping to just copy FSX completely to save going into individual folders. I've forgotten which addons are where - scenery, gauges, sounds folders etc... Lost track.

I have another idea, will post it in a bit.

To be clear, in the previous post I meant buying an internal HDD (empty).

Installing Win on that.

Attaching the old internal hdd as well,

etc.

with emphasis on internal.

Linux was needed for what I did, because her disk was from an apple computer, and Windows can't read Apple's files. (Not directly anyway.)

In your case using Windows itself would be much easier.

I knew Linux already, but there is a learning curve.

Maybe better to excercise some patience, and wait until you find a shop, an empty HDD, or a second Win PC you can borough for a day.

I'll post the other method I thought of in a bit.

Sorry, our posts crossed.

I'll read yours in more detail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was assuming you had a desktop.

And only one HDD at the moment that was damaged.

I assumed you were posting from a phone.

So I meant, using one HDD with windows installed on it and working. I referred to this as "buying a new HDD, hooking it up solo, and installing Windows"

Next I meant, hokking up the other HDD too, internally.

--Then Starting the PC booting from the "new OS" on the NEW HDD.

--That way gaining access to your folders.

If I referred to your old hdd I wrote It like that, but if I referred to you new HDD I used capital letters.

---------------

But you already have a new drive with an OS install on it.

So you did all those steps already.

Yes, using that is fine.:)

Now to get the new OS to recognise the old drive...

hmmm.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I see now you have a laptop. You have an internal drive with an OS installed on it.

How do you hook up the old drive?

Does the laptop have an external connector that you can hook up a sata drive to??

(Sorry, I'm not that experienced with laptops. Please explain.)

And what is on the old hdd.

An OS, correct? And do you have the full install DVD for that also?

---------------------------------------

--------------------------

That other idea I had:

(This is when having only the old hdd with the stuff you want to get back installed internally.)

There is something called a "Repair Install"

Let's say,

Windows won't boot,

You can't get it fixed,

But the disk is still seen in the BIOS.

(It is installed internally, and working correctly)

You can then:

*Pop it the windows install CD of that same install,

*choose do a repair install from one of the options menu's that it offers,

(look up where, the option is hidden somewhat)

*Choose to do the repair install without formatting the hdd

The disk starts, and installs Windows.

If all goes well,

*Windows is installed fresh, and works,

*All your programs are intact and working,

*Your other partitions, with data, are intact as well,

*A folder has been created on C, called windows.old

[When doing a Repair Install, as always with this kind of stuff,]

[Windows will show a warning "This may cause you to lose all data on the drive!!!]

The windows.old folder contains the old, failed windows, including "My documents, My Pictures" folders, mail, etc" You can rescue those files from there.

After rescuing files you can safely delete the windows.old folder.

-----

So, that is in case the old drive contained Windows, and the install is buggered up.

(for example a registry error that prevented booting, or similar.)

But to do it, the drive must still be recognised in BIOS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yet one more option would be to use a sata to usb adapter.

Someting like this. They come in the form of a housing as well.

They come with a mains power to dc adapter, as a sata drive requires power to run.

Sometimes it helps with hard to access drives.

You connect the drive with this to a usb port, and acces it like any external drive.

-have to go now, good luck for now-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, that clears up what I was confused about - no problem. I'm connecting the old hdd with a SATA to USB cable. But when it recognises the hdd, it can't open anything and wants to format it - hence why it appears corrupt and I'm having troubles.

As for the recovery disk, I would have no clue where it is - I would have to search the entire house I feel! For this method, the old hdd must be inserted into the laptop internally I presume??

Edit: Was typing during that last post, but that's what I've tried using. For now, I'll go to a repair place tomorrow and see if they can do something -- I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance il.

Ok, if you bring it to them, tell them to absolutely not format it.

Seems obvious, but isn't.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would be able to access it using linux.

To explain I would have to look that up again.

Also carries again the risk of loosing it all.

With a bit of luck the shop should use a similar method anyway. (there are windows solutions too that do the same basic disk operation. Thing is they are expensive. A shop would buy that and use it for all such repairs, so for them (and you) that makes it affordable.

Good news the disk is at least recognised. That gives you a good chance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well the repair place had a look at the drive and said they were unable to recover files from it. Appears to be corrupt, which is why it was replaced to begin with, as the laptop crashed. Not sure what more I could do with little experience. Would take a lot of effort and time for me to attempt anything so I might go ahead and re-install FSX onto the new HDD. I'm desperate to fly in it agian this week but am going away at the end of the week, so don't have much more time to wait around.

Sorry, I don't understand.

You have a working drive inside the laptop now, correct?

with Win on it?

large enough?

is that where you wanted to install fsx?

because then you can go right ahead with the install of course.

Or did you want to install fsx on the separate drive?

using that converter?

do you mean you want to format it?

I would say, don't format, not yet. Unless there is nothing important on it.

If you have important files that you need backups of, hang on to it for a bit.

Drives are not that expensive anymore, I would get a new one, and hang on to the "failed" one that has those files on it.

Lots of questions I know, but could you please answer them all, thanks.

The friend I helped got the same reply from the shop when she brought her external to. They said connecting the drive it wasn't recognised.

Said she would have to send it to a data recovery centre instead. Those charge hundreds of dollars for drive rescue attempt. She decided not to do this.

Instead she held on to the drive for almost three years afterwards, then met me and offered me the drive as a gift. I offered her to save the files instead, and managed to do it.

So if it has important personal files on it, pictures, etc, hang on to the drive for a while. You never know what might occur.

I will try to write a mini-guide to an attempt of getting files back. (Linux)

i'll send it to you as a PM I think.

But that will take some time. I have started a textfile, on my desktop so I won't forget.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I have a new drive installed in the laptop - which is basically empty. Sorry if I confused you! I'll be installing fsx on it.

Ok, I won't format the old drive and I'll hang onto it. That would be very much helpful, thanks! That's fine, there's plenty of time - I won't have a chance to attempt anything myself until after I get back in at least 3 weeks.

Archived