FSX Crash

Kent33

Yesterday I tried the WIN10 upgrade from Win7. I wasn't impressed but the biggest issue was the start screen for loading FSX appeared for a couple of seconds and disappeared. Happened twice. That did it! I then chose the available option to revert to my WIn 7 OS.

It was restored and all is fine except that after a couple of minutes flying FSX crashes, Screen goes black, speakers hum and computer locks up.

I tried to recover to a previous date (two days ago) and an "unspecified" error occurs.

In 5 years FSX has never crashed, so now I have to learn how to unistall and reinstall FSX properly. I have no ad-ons to recover or install, but I suppose I'll have to get the Service Packs. Can someone give me a step by step?

I'd really appreciate it...thanks.

Yes, I read the top post on crashes and it's well over my head.

Win7 64bit OS

Pentium Dual Core E6600 @ 3.7GHz

3 GB Ram

Speaker sounds more like a driver or windows issue.

Computer locks up. Do you mean not responsive at all? I mean, did control alt delete not work, and was holding the power switch the only way to shut down?

Because that is not an fsx issue, but points to more serious issues.

If it were just fsx crashing, you would still have control over windows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Speaker sounds more like a driver or windows issue.

Computer locks up. Do you mean not responsive at all? I mean, did control alt delete not work, and was holding the power switch the only way to shut down?

Because that is not an fsx issue, but points to more serious issues.

If it were just fsx crashing, you would still have control over windows.

I was afraid that might be the case. Yes...not responsive at all.....power switch to shut down.

What I don't understand though is why everything works fine but only crashes when running FSX?

Thanks for the quick response

I just read my message again. It sounded a it too negative.

I'm just saying I don't think the problem gets caused by FSX.

I'm not saying that that means I/We won't help.:)

Why it crashes when using FSX. Hard to say. FSX does use the computer hardware very intensely. Graphics sound etc etc, all at once.

So all drivers need to be installed and working correctly.

You can check this in controll-panel in Windows.

(Hardware--Device Manager)--look out for yellow or red marks in there.

Now that I think about it some more. When fsx gets installed it installs also:

DirectX 9.0c

(there is a seperate installer for it on your install disks. Disc one I think.)

It gets installed automatically when installing FSX. But you can also install it manually from the disk.

DirectX 9.0 is not in Win10.

(And you can't even install it I believe.)

So, that may have been removed when migrating to win 10...

Not repaired when going back to Win7...

I would try installing DirectX 9.0c manually.

If that is your error, it would only be showing in FSX.

Your other programs are all perfectly happy using the other DirectX versions (10 and 11) to put mages on the display.

-----------------

If that's it, it would of course look like a specific FSX issue.

It wouldn't be fsx causing it directly, but fsx is the only prog that's affected by it.

I hope that gets you going again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No problem. I didn't consider it negative. I considered it correct. And thank you again for the reply.

Anyway, I followed the step by step instructions found here for uninstalling and reinstalling FSX, which includes DirectX 9 . Took some time but well worth it. Looks better, feels better. Unfortunately PC still crashes.

But it's a slightly different crash. Whereas before the screen went dark and speakers hummed, now it just stops with display still showing, and no hum (or sound) from speakers. I still have to power down manually.

I updated two out-of-date drivers the and Device Manager says everything is working properly fine.

Something I just this minute thought of.....2 or 3 years ago there was a guru here that posted a bunch of performance tweaks which I followed. With the reinstall, those are all gone. One of those tweaks had to do with specifying "virtual memory". Don't know if that would have anything at all to do with this problem? But it does seem that since I can fly for a minute or two before the crash, that "something" might be overloading?

One last thing of interest regarding those tweaks and I'll let you go. Strange as it is, before, when everything was working, I would never hit the target frame rate for my settings. I didn't mind, I would rather see the scenery and graphics than achieving 20 fps.

Here's the strange part. With the default settings (because of the reinstall) higher than what I had adjusted to, I'm now getting a solid 20 fps for the minute or two I can fly!

Crazy....anyway I appreciate your help and all the work the other experts here do. It's amazing! But I'm just a casual pilot now and then and it's just not that big a deal. Maybe something will work, maybe it won't.

Thanks again....Happy Holidays

Archived