Changing plane view options

ednixon

Not a menu option, but somewhere I believe there's a way to modify or maybe even turn off altogether, the visual inertial effects of acceleration and deceleration. This is modeled by making the instrument panel drop down during take-off run (simulating the effect of g-force pushing you back in the seat) and when the brakes are applied the whole plane lunges forward. How do you turn this off? Although it is somewhat realistic, I don't particularly care for it.

I found this on the net, I haven't tried it and don't know if it'll work with anything later than Win 7-

The Momentum Effect in FSX

Certain cameras in FSX have what is known as the momentum effect applied to them. This means that when the aircraft accelerates or decellerates, the camera will move in response to the movement of the plane. If you don't like how the camera does this, read below to find out how to change it.

First of all, it depends on what type camera you want to disable this on. There is the virtual cockpit camera that applies to all aircraft, and individual aircraft cameras customized for each aircraft.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Virtual Cockpit Camera

If you want to change the momentum effect in the virtual cockpit camera, then find and open up the following file: Cameras.CFG, with notepad.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Vista / 7: C:\Users\"User"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Once the file is open, locate the camera that is titled "Virtual Cockpit" and look for "MomentumEffect = Yes".

Changing Yes to No will disable this effect. It may also say True or False instead. Now save, and you're done.

--------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft Camera

This is almost the same as above except the view is located in the aircraft section in the camera menu when you right click. Open up the aicraft.cfg file for which ever aircraft you want to make the change in.

Aircraft: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes

Helicopters: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Rotorcraft

C:\Program Files (x86), for Windows 64 bit installations.

Now look for any camera that has the line "Category=Aircraft". This means that it is in the aicraft category in the camera menu. Right below that should be MomentumEffect=TRUE.

As showed above, change the TRUE to FALSE, and save the file. You'll have to do this for each camera individually.

http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/momentum-effect-fsx.html

Much like the "G" effects (visual dimming, up to blackout), no, there isn't a way to loose the inertial effect, that I am aware of.

Having said that, it dawns on me the Mr. Bean will probably, correctly, contradict me. He usuall does :D He is one wise soul in hte sim worlds. If it's known, it seems like he knows it.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I love scatterbrains idea. New for me. And it is probably the only way as he says.

Just thought I should add. There is also cm option in the menu bar:

aircraft--realism settings--G effects

the sliders on that page may also have some options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never heard of the idea that SBK presented, but I love it! Glad he found that, i really am.

As for hte G-effects, I am pretty sure that's for how it affects the plane, not the pilot. From what I can tell, no matter what, you black out. But heck, I can give it a shot!

Thanks for all the help!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks all ... for the record changing the cfg files worked. At least my instrument panel doesn't slide up and down any more. The nose still bobs just a bit with brake application, but it seems to be less than it was. Can't say for sure (without more experimenting) that these cfg changes were responsible for that.

Thanks all ... for the record changing the cfg files worked. At least my instrument panel doesn't slide up and down any more. The nose still bobs just a bit with brake application, but it seems to be less than it was. Can't say for sure (without more experimenting) that these cfg changes were responsible for that.

Yes, you will still have suspension travel under breaking or accelerating. It just seems reduced with momentum off.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

Archived