How to calculate time during Slew Mode in FSX?

Happpy

Hi, Guys!

Suppose I'm going to Australia from Dubai. After flying 1 hour of Aircraft, I turn ON slew mode and reach near Australia in seconds. After that I turn off slew and start normal flying. After landing I'm watching that Clock on Aircraft didn't count Slew Mode time. So how I can calculate the slew time so that I can find exact flight time.

Regards,

For what purpose, I wonder?

I you want to do mainly take-offs, SIDs, STARs and landings, choose shorter routes.

If it's for bragging, fly the routes real time or check an airlines' RW time table.

Wim

Just for varying speed and different Altitudes.

I mean:

1st time, I'll go at 525Knots and 32000ft & see how much time it will take?

2nd time, I'll go at 300knots and 40000ft and then again will see how much time it has taken.

Can you please tell me how can i do this?

Hi Happpy,

You can change the sim rate using an entry in one of the menus or by useing the following key combination:

R followed by +/= to increase or _/- to decrease

Note the following regarding use:

1. Press R once and then press the required key - for example pressing R then +/= twice will increase the sim rate to X4 (i.e. four times the default (realtime) speed). You only need to press R once to be able to immediately change the rate during the flight UNLESS you press another key (other than +/= or _/-) then you will have to press R again (e.g you change the rate early in the flight and then change the view from VC to outside view you will need to press R again to change the sim rate)

2. You can increase the rate to X2, X$, X8 or X16. You can, if you wish slow the rate to below realtime to 1/2 (half speed).

3. The current sim rate is displayed in the top right hand corner but note that it only displays the faster or slower speed and not the default speed when selected (i.e. if you increase the rate it will display X2, X4 and so on. When you decrease the speed it will display X4, X2, no speed rate shown (ie at default) and then 1/2).

4. At higher sim rates the scenery will blur. If you go above X4, when you decrease the rate the sim will play 'catchup' and automatically 'reload' textures files for your current position so you will get a loading bar like you do when first load the flight.

5. Above X4 all AI is disabled. As with the scenery it will be reloaded as at 4. above but you may notice a lack of traffic for several minutes once the reload has taken place.

Regards

Brian

Hi Happpy,

You can change the sim rate using an entry in one of the menus or by useing the following key combination:

R followed by +/= to increase or _/- to decrease

Note the following regarding use:

1. Press R once and then press the required key - for example pressing R then +/= twice will increase the sim rate to X4 (i.e. four times the default (realtime) speed). You only need to press R once to be able to immediately change the rate during the flight UNLESS you press another key (other than +/= or _/-) then you will have to press R again (e.g you change the rate early in the flight and then change the view from VC to outside view you will need to press R again to change the sim rate)

2. You can increase the rate to X2, X$, X8 or X16. You can, if you wish slow the rate to below realtime to 1/2 (half speed).

3. The current sim rate is displayed in the top right hand corner but note that it only displays the faster or slower speed and not the default speed when selected (i.e. if you increase the rate it will display X2, X4 and so on. When you decrease the speed it will display X4, X2, no speed rate shown (ie at default) and then 1/2).

4. At higher sim rates the scenery will blur. If you go above X4, when you decrease the rate the sim will play 'catchup' and automatically 'reload' textures files for your current position so you will get a loading bar like you do when first load the flight.

5. Above X4 all AI is disabled. As with the scenery it will be reloaded as at 4. above but you may notice a lack of traffic for several minutes once the reload has taken place.

Thanks for reply Brian! I've done this trick already. I want 64X or more speed.

When I knew I cannot increase it up to 64X then I decided Slew mode. But unfortunately slew mode doesn't count time.

In that case, I don't think that what you are after is something you are going to be able to find out by using the sim. There maybe flight planning addons/utilities out there that can be manipulated to give you an estimate but I suggest searching the web for a realworld flight planning aid or mathematical based calculation tool.

Regards

Brian

There may be an option, but I'm not sure how to make it work regarding different speeds.

The flight planner, enter a plan, and it will give you the waypoints.

Then stay in the flight planner, and click on "Nav-log".

It will give you a list of all waypoints. Including times to the waypoints.

At the top of the log it lists total time, fuel burn etc.

Problem is, I don't know what speed it assumes for cruise speed.

If you create the plan with a ultralight selected you will get very different resulting times then with a 737 selected.

But what speed it's based on... no idea.

The aircraft.cfg file does have a cruise_speed= parameter. so maybe it's as simple as that.

You could test this easily.

select aircraft,

make flightplan,

write the time to destination on a scrap of paper.

Then:

Change the aircraft.cfg file "cruise_speed=" parameter. Increase the speed there.

start fsxc again,

MAKE the same flightplan. (don't be lazy and load the old one!!),

check if the time to destination is less now.

If this works, no flying is required.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just for varying speed and different Altitudes.

I mean:

1st time, I'll go at 525Knots and 32000ft & see how much time it will take?

2nd time, I'll go at 300knots and 40000ft and then again will see how much time it has taken.

Can you please tell me how can i do this?

IMO any decent FMS/FMC gives a rather correct ETA for a given FL once you've stablized after TOC. You'll have to go payware for this I'm afraid.

Or you can go maths/physics: for a given fixed cruise Mach number (eg. 0.78) calculate IAS for different FLs, then try to calculate TAS and corresponding G/S. All very hypothetic, as one has to make temperature/weather assumptions.

I'd fly the route a couple of times...

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

There may be an option, but I'm not sure how to make it work regarding different speeds...................................

I considered and (partially) tried this method before I made my replay at post #6.

As well as the issues you raised I noticed that making changes to the cruise altitude field made no difference to the timings. Had a quick look at a number of aircraft.cfg files and none seem to have a parameter to change cruising alt

Regards

Brian

U

IMO any decent FMS/FMC gives a rather correct ETA for a given FL once you've stablized after TOC. You'll have to go payware for this I'm afraid

Wim

Greetings All,

I would heartily recommend Plan-G for this mental exercise. Once you've loaded your flight plan, you can change altitudes and cruising speeds at will and compare the results. You can also program the wind conditions expected en-route. Plan-G works very well for me AND it is free-ware. (Though the author does have a donate box somewhere on the page... Here is the link http://www.tasoftware.co.uk

Respectfully,

Brian

If you'd all care to step into my laboratory for a moment, I've just conducted an experiment that may interest you, its purpose was to find out what 128x speed equates to in real terms.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/karloff1_zpsgu9p2ovs.jpg~original

I paused the sim, then selected World>Time and season...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Time4_zpslrcvtqlc.jpg~original

...which takes us to this screen, I set the times to exactly 1 pm and 5 pm-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-time1_zpsyexvspvu.jpg~original

...then went back to the sim and hit 'R' to activate the Rate option, and hit '=' several times to bump up the rate to its maximum of 128x.

I then unpaused the sim..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Time2_zps0xakcwv4.jpg~original

...and kept my eye on the clock on my mantelpiece, and after 5 minutes real time I paused the sim and saw that about 20 minutes sim time had elapsed-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-time3_zpsx5k6jpzw.jpg~original

Conclusion- At 128x Rate, time is speeded up only 4 times, not 128 times.

It's not as fast as Slew, but is useful because it means an airliner cruising at 500mph will be speeded up 4 times to 2000mph with 128x engaged.

And when you've got to your destination you'll find the ingame clock has sped up to match the rate, unlike slew.

However, maths is not my strong point so if anybody wants to conduct a similar experiment go ahead and let us know if your conclusions match mine or if there are other factors I may have overlooked..:)

All replies mean (as I've understand) that we cannot calculate SLEW TIME. Am I right?

And We cannot do simulator fastest over 16X too. Am I right guys?

I haven't experimented with Slew time yet, but the sim can definitely be sped up to 128x in non-slew.

Hit the 'R' key, then tap '=' and '-' several times to speed it up and slow it down, the speed will display in the top right corner of the screen.

I won't say you can't.

Simply because I haven't found a way does not mean no one else has either! Or may think of a way in the future perhaps!!

But, if you slew the clock in VC doesn't move.

I think all you change in slew is your position.

You will notice you can drive a plane straight through a building in slew, without crashing. Even if crash detection is enabled.

You will also notice moving fast in slew that your engine thrust does not change.

The plane is not flying, using fuel, etc. Nor is it counting time.

It is just moved. Like a child moves a toy car when playing.

So I don't think measuring speed makes any sense.

You can slew from New York to Tokio in 10 seconds.

You could say, it's moved 2500Nm in 10 seconds, which gives a speed of 15.000NM per minute. But it wouldn't make any sense.

That's why we offered you some alternative ways of figuring out the time en route without doing the actual flight in real time. I thought that was what you were after.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, i just experimented with Slew but can't make time run during it. (sniffle).

For example I took off, adjusted the World>Time and season readout to zero minutes, then entered slew and slewed to a thousand miles away, then exited slew and looked at the World>Time and season figures, but they hadn't moved, they were still on zero minutes.

Conclusion- time freezes when you enter Slew unless somebody can show otherwise.

Conclusion- time freezes when you enter Slew unless somebody can show otherwise.

Yep, time is frozen in slew mode. Only using the "speed up" modes would one be

able to calculate time, and I'm pretty sure the clock will account for it in that mode,

which would make adjustment unneeded.

But I never use that mode... I always fly the whole flights real time.

May be one reason why I prefer short flights.. I don't like sitting at cruise for hours

on end. :p

Archived