graphics card issue

dougie573

hi

i was running a gforce gtx460 1gb for a couple of years on windows 7 64 bit. I have 8gb ram and an i5 processor.

i thought that my graphics card was a bottleneck in the quality/fps balance.

i bought a gforce gtx960 with 2 gb on board memory and find that the fps/ quality is exactly the same. i would have thought i would get some sort of improvement.

am i doing anything wrong? (apart from expecting too much from the new card)

The better card should enable higher antialiasing settings and Anisotropic Filtering settings.

This is set through the Nvidia menu,

or the Nvidia Inspector settings.

----

The relationship: Sliders--FPS

is purely the result of CPU

(and progs running in the background)

I don't know what else to say. I wish I had better news. Sorry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The better card should enable higher antialiasing settings and Anisotropic Filtering settings.

This is set through the Nvidia menu,

or the Nvidia Inspector settings.

----

The relationship: Sliders--FPS

is purely the result of CPU

(and progs running in the background)

I don't know what else to say. I wish I had better news. Sorry.

Also, make sure that you are running off of the GTX,and not the on-board graphics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't expect a LOT of improvement, though, for FS. It mostly uses the CPU. In P3D, however, you'd find that the 960 would make a big improvement, since P3D makes heavy use of the GPU. The improvement I saw on P3D, when going from a GTX 570 to a GTX 970 was small, in terms of frame rate, but huge in "eye candy," that is, I can have the autogen sliders maxed, the wx stuff maxed, water maxed and a bit more in areas outside the Seattles and the So Cals that would have brought my system to its knees with the 570, and a very modest (2-3 fps) frame rate improvement, too. But it made little difference in FSX, except for antialiasing and such, as mentioned above.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived