Great Circle Routes

jmfabio

Hi All,

I visit the forum often to read as it is a great learning tool. I do not post often as I usually have little useful to contribute and rarely have problems that I can't figure out. That is why after 10 years I am still a junior member.

However, i was researching Great Circle Routes and in the process came upon a useful website. Many may already be aware of it, especially those that fly big iron and long routes. But suffice to say that it warrants checking out.

It calculates routes (no waypoints however), distance and time based upon input of Origin and Destination, type of aircraft (long list to choose from. Military aircraft are included in list but selection does not include speed. The speed of military can be inputted but only in kmp/h. For me, a Damn Yankee (one who moves from the north of US to the south and stays) I must convert speed to kmp/h . No big deal.

Check it out. You may find it useful or at the very least interesting.

Here is the link: http://www.greatcirclemapper.net/

Joe

Recently flew from Sydney, Australia, SYD. to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, AUH on an A380. Looking on a conventional map, you would expect to fly north-west. Even though I was aware of great circle routing, I was surprised to see us head south-west flying over Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth before crossing the Indian Ocean heading NW towards Abu Dhabi. Just goes to show how much difference GC routing can make. I am assuming the southerly routing was to make best use of high level jet streams to minimise time and fuel usage.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I am assuming the southerly routing was to make best use of high level jet streams to minimise time and fuel usage.

Nope -- in the southern hemisphere GC routing tends to go south, while in the northern hemisphere it tends to go north. What it actually does is to figure the shortest distance across a sphere (globe). Take a piece of string (pulled tight) on a globe from your departure point to your destination and notice the apparent curve in the string.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Nope -- in the southern hemisphere GC routing tends to go south, while in the northern hemisphere it tends to go north. What it actually does is to figure the shortest distance across a sphere (globe). Take a piece of string (pulled tight) on a globe from your departure point to your destination and notice the apparent curve in the string.

+1!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

*That aint the fastest road to country kitchen buffet!

#No, but it's the shortest, save the most gas that way.

;)

Yes, that's true, in fact it often messes drivers up when they first start to use GPS route navigation in their highway vehicle. Shortest Route is frequently not the fastest Route.

If a small town is traversed by driving straight through on Main Street complete with multiple stop lights, that may well be the shortest route. However, if the bypass has no lights, it will likely be the fastest route to the next town. Burn a little fuel, save a little time.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived