Milton Shupe B18 startup.

Hello

MSs b18 is one f my favourites, but I can't start it manually in X (can in 9)

With batteries on ,and throttle controls all set correctly etc etc if I press the start button ,it simply stays depressed ,the props turn very slowly as if trying to start ,but nothing happens .I can't unpress the SB it stays firmly in the down position.

I then have to resort to cntrl E .

Not the greatest fs problem, but would like to start up correctly

Any ideas please.

Andy

What's the b18? The only one I've heard of is the 1930's Douglas B-18 Bolo twin engine bomber.

Just a thought- some engines take a looong time to start after pressing the start button, especially some turbos and some jets, go to external view and listen for the whine getting louder and louder, or with jets look down the intakes to see if the fan blades are spinning.

What's the b18? The only one I've heard of is the 1930's Douglas B-18 Bolo twin engine bomber.

Just a thought- some engines take a looong time to start after pressing the start button, especially some turbos and some jets, go to external view and listen for the whine getting louder and louder, or with jets look down the intakes to see if the fan blades are spinning.

Apologies

It is of course the D18.

By Milton Shupe

Its not a case of holding down the start button.

This aircraft starts with no problem in Fs9 ,using that Sim no extended period of starter holding is required.

I have the same problem with the default Maule in FSX, whilst the cessna's can be started manually i can only start the Maule by Ctrl E

This is not a huge problem in the league of horrid FS glitches ,but annoying none the less.

Cheers Andy.

I tried the D-18 that I listed the filename. No cockpit switches in either cockpit so it ain't that one. Happy Ctrl+E !

Trying this one, which is an fSX model. b18dc05.zip

Was successful with starting one engine but will have to experiment with getting 2 started and running. I did notice that the start switch stays down until the engine starts.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hello Zip

The beechcraft iam talking about is this one D18SVC2.ZIP its actually for nine ,but after adding a prop bitmap update runs perfectly in X.

You can't mistake it as it is a top drawer freeware aircraft ,with terrific panels ie two 2d and Vc panel.It runs on X with no problems apart from startup only available via control e.

Using it in nine there are no problems manually starting.

Cheers

Andy

PS there are definitely cockpit switches in this model.

Could you perhaps be missing a button in the sequence? According to a write up I saw on "another webasite":

IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE, PAY ATTANTION TO THE ENGINE START SEQUENCE (REFER TO THE CHECKLIST).

You should first engage the starter (the starter button is being pressed simultaneously with the ignition boost and primer buttons) and then move full forward a mixture lever.

This is on the version by Vladimir Gonchar, available on FlyAwaySimulations, and here on FlightSim, file names fsx_d18s_3nm_fl.zip and b18dc05.zip. This is developed, with permission, from Mr. Shupe's amazing efforts.

Perhaps you need more than just prop textures. Maybe a switch isn't working quite right in your download? The Ignition Boost? I believe the primer is a "dummy", in FSX Acceleration, but I am frequently wrong.

Just tossing ideas out there. Maybe one will stick, or suggest an avenue of investigation?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Gentlemen,

The FS9 D18S will work in FSX Accel for me but it can be finicky. Sorry, its FS9 xml code.

Look at the attached:

1) Ensure your prop and mixture levers are full forward

2) Ensure all lower switches are on, left to right, Both batteries, gens, and boost pumps.

3) Move your Starter Selector switch to the right engine

4) Select Ignition Boost and Primer, then Starter

5) Once you hear the engine starter engage, click the Starter switch to move it Off that engine. If it does not start, move the starter selector switch back to the right and try again. It usually starts the first or second try.

6) Move the Starter Selector to the Left engine.

7) Select Ignition Boost and Primer, then Starter

8) You will hear the starter try to engage a little, click the Starter Selector to move off the Left engine. This may take 2 or 3 attempts but it always starts for me.

The starter selector switch cycles through Right, Left, Off so keep after it until you position it correctly.

After the Left engine starts, ensure the Starter button has disengaged. If not, just click the starter selector through its cycle.

Hope this helps.

Milton Shupe

d18s.jpg

Milton Shupe, FS2004 Modeler Hack

Video Tutorials -

Website Location for My Aircraft

My Flightsim Uploads

Gentlemen,

The FS9 D18S will work in FSX Accel for me but it can be finicky. Sorry, its FS9 xml code.

Look at the attached:

1) Ensure your prop and mixture levers are full forward

2) Ensure all lower switches are on, left to right, Both batteries, gens, and boost pumps.

3) Move your Starter Selector switch to the right engine

4) Select Ignition Boost and Primer, then Starter

5) Once you hear the engine starter engage, click the Starter switch to move it Off that engine. If it does not start, move the starter selector switch back to the right and try again. It usually starts the first or second try.

6) Move the Starter Selector to the Left engine.

7) Select Ignition Boost and Primer, then Starter

8) You will hear the starter try to engage a little, click the Starter Selector to move off the Left engine. This may take 2 or 3 attempts but it always starts for me.

The starter selector switch cycles through Right, Left, Off so keep after it until you position it correctly.

After the Left engine starts, ensure the Starter button has disengaged. If not, just click the starter selector through its cycle.

Hope this helps.

Milton Shupe

Good heavens Milton!

I will try your terrific startup procedure.

Failing that ......a little bird tells me control e works :D

Great aircraft great startup.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Andy

Could you perhaps be missing a button in the sequence? According to a write up I saw on "another webasite":

This is on the version by Vladimir Gonchar, available on FlyAwaySimulations, and here on FlightSim, file names fsx_d18s_3nm_fl.zip and b18dc05.zip. This is developed, with permission, from Mr. Shupe's amazing efforts.

Perhaps you need more than just prop textures. Maybe a switch isn't working quite right in your download? The Ignition Boost? I believe the primer is a "dummy", in FSX Acceleration, but I am frequently wrong.

Just tossing ideas out there. Maybe one will stick, or suggest an avenue of investigation?

Pat☺

Thanks Pat

I only mentioned the prop bitmap thing ,because irrespective of startup procedures ,you need that bitmap when using this aircraft in FSX.

Apart from these minor details this aircraft works perfectly in FSX,and is a real classic of freeware wonderfulness IMO.

Cheers Andy

Apart from these minor details this aircraft works perfectly in FSX,and is a real classic of freeware wonderfulness IMO.

Well, of course. It's from Mr. Shupe :D

Ok, I was just trying to offer a suggestion, and it seems not a bad one, from his response. I don't have the bird. Well, I do NOW :) I'm gonna try the float version, see how it is on the water. Supposed to the best float plane out there, so well worth taking a look at! I have been flying, and loving, the Spartan from Mr. SHupe. Amazing plane, really it is.

Enjoy the 18 :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Andy,

you said a few posts down the file you are using is:

D18SVC2.ZIP

In the library that is not listed as FS9

but as FS2002 (FS8)

As far as I know (hearsay) FS2002 aircraft work fine in FS2004

But FS2002 aircraft often don't work in fsx. Some do, but many need to be converted first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Andy,

you said a few posts down the file you are using is:

D18SVC2.ZIP

In the library that is not listed as FS9

but as FS2002 (FS8)

Hello

I am getting my Beechcrafts in twist.

I wonder if I've downloaded the 2002 model by mistake?

I don't think I have ,but better check.

The version for 9 is this one D18SVC4.ZIP

Cheers Andy

Hello Milton and all

I tried your startup procedure , but unfortunately it was no go for me.

But never mind.

I appreciate that this aircraft was originally for Fs9 ,so as everything else works ,iam not going to fuss about having to use CTrl E in this case.

Cheers Andy

Socks, don't feel like the "Lone Stranger". i was unable to do the manual start also. Nice plane, resting comfortalbly in the recycle bin. Damn IPAD!

Socks, don't feel like the "Lone Stranger". i was unable to do the manual start also. Nice plane, resting comfortalbly in the recycle bin. Damn IPAD!

LOL You guys are pretty tough on an FS9 aircraft built in 2004 and released in 2005 before FSX was even contemplated. There must be something better out there to pick on than a 10 year old product. :-)

Milton Shupe, FS2004 Modeler Hack

Video Tutorials -

Website Location for My Aircraft

My Flightsim Uploads

LOL You guys are pretty tough on an FS9 aircraft built in 2004 and released in 2005 before FSX was even contemplated. There must be something better out there to pick on than a 10 year old product. :-)

They still hold up well in 2015 in FSX. I still fly both that Beech 18, and also the

Spartan Executive. :cool: Flew em both on FS9, and been using them on FSX

since I went to it in 2006 or so.

Hello There

I am most certainly not being hard .

If you note my post I did say that I realised that this was an Fs9 original aircraft ,and so in its case using control E was not a problem as far iam concerned .

I've kept it ,and use it more frequently than any other in Fsx at the moment .

I also have it installed in Fs9.(were of course manual startup is no problem

So Milton Sir!

No hardness on my part.

Great aircraft

Actually great engine sounds (extra downloaded)as well.

Cheers

Andy :D

PS

This model is also extremely take off (takes itself of really )friendly , and likewise landing .

:D

Milton, actually you are right. I was trying out the FSX version of the C-45, another great looking aircraft with the same situation. Ctrl+E worked everytime but manual start was always crank, crank...chuffa, chuffa, chuffa then no go. Love the C-47v2:D

Wow such a dither! I'm a pragmatist. I try to not get terribly hung up over things that take away from the mission. Using Control E on occasion doesn't bother me any more than using Control J to call for the jetway. Perish the thought, I have even pushed R + to finish a flight before dinner! Or P when nature or the phone calls. There's no flight officer here to take over for me.

I try to sim accurately, that's what we're doing. But I also try not to get all flustered on the occasions when it just isn't practical to do so.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

FS9 planes often need an aircraft.cfg tweak to start in FSX.

In the [piston_engine] section, try increasing the...

normalized_starter_torque=n.nn

...value, I usually double it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

FS9 planes often need an aircraft.cfg tweak to start in FSX.

In the [piston_engine] section, try increasing the...

normalized_starter_torque=n.nn

...value, I usually double it.

peace,

the Bean

Hello Bean

Will give your tweaket a try.

If that fails ,then control e is fine by me.

But thanks for your help.

Andy

The correct answer is 0.316.

Does that help any?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived