Default aircraft extraction?

Trollydolly

Hi.

'No such thing as a stupid question'? let's see with this one:

I have FSX steam, so is ir safe for me to remove ALL of the default aircraft and only keep active the ones I want to fly. I will leave sound, gauges, etc where they are, but just take out everything in the aircraft folder - leave them in 'hanger' on my desktop so I can easily add any in later if I want them. Why do this? just so I can free a little space and not have to scroll through a lot of never used craft..

Stupid?

Hold my beer and watch this...

Here's a much easier way:

Open the aircraft cfg file and change

[fltsim.0] to [fltsim.1]

That's it. The planes are still there, but they don't appear in the list anymore.

Nevertheless please note that 99% of the availablee add-ons require a default plane to be loaded first for FSX to initialize correctly.

Preferably the default 172.

It's never a good idea to use any add-on plane, expecially a complex one, as the default.

ahhh that post has stopped me in my tracks, maybe leave them - doncha just love novice FSX pilots ;)

My reasoning for doing this is that there is so much addon scenery and textures that I need the space to be able to put it on, so thought extracting aircraft I am unlikely to use would do the job.

Alternative? I have an external hard drive, could I store the scenery on that instead?

Hold my beer and watch this...

The scenery could be put on any drive you like as long as you point to it so the Sim will use it. I also do not recommend deleting or hangaring any default aircraft. They are used as AI in the Missions and if they are missing, the Missions no longer work. I have a huge Hangar Folder that is used for addon aircraft that I like but don't fly often.

No question is dumb! Helping to answer them helps us to stay sharp. Well, me anyway!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Alternative? I have an external hard drive, could I store the scenery on that instead?

You certainly can. When you add the scenery through the scenery library you just browse to its location and treat it exactly as you do when adding within the FS folders.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

great, I will use the external drive and not touch the planes, but what Meteor says sounds doable, hide 'em rather than move 'em thanks a lot for the help.

You can also hide each one by making this change in each [fltsim.xx]

panel=0

I think you have easily passed the "Newcomer Phase" so please join us in the FSX Forum:D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived