Need some advice for new computer

captpola

Hi guys, I'm new to FSX and looking to max out and get the most out of it. I bought an Alienware recently and just wondering if you guys think the specs could handle maxing out FSX. I'm not a computer techy so any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Specs below

Processor - Intel Core 4th Gen I7-4790

8 Cache up to 4.0 Ghz)

Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 upgrade

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s hard drive

8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600 MHZ (2x4GB) Non-ECC

Slot Load Dual Layer Blu Ray Combo

2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon R9 270 Graphics

Dell Outlet Alienware X52 R2

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh really? Okay maybe I need to just figure out what add ons to get and how to tweak it? The only thing I'm not sure about is the power supply. I think it's only 180 watts

It sounds like you are not happy with your FSX on your 'puter - what is it that you dislike?

There is no computer system that can run FSX really maxed out, meaning wieghed down with a ton of addons. You may get acceptable FPS if you have a good GPU and run a high clock speed, but the 32bit memory limitation to 4 GB will kill it frequently with OOM errors. So compromises need to be made.

The PSU does not really matter, only if you add additional hardware or if you change the GPU. If it really is too weak you will notice at some point (computer shutting down for no reason). But I figure Dell made it so that it fits to the specs, so no worries.

Can't see why. Your system will run FSX fine, just don't add too many addons. What is it that you are missing now in your sim?

And as I said, no computer will run FSX really maxed out for long - it can't. The memory limit is in FSX itself, not in the hardware. Don't fall for the Youtube videos. It is the easiest thing in the world to edit out an OOM crash and touch up things "a little".

I recently paid a visit to see my Godson. He had been trying to fly on his laptop that is really inadequate to really enjoy the flight sim experience, the cracked screen did not help either. After we sat down and I did a few minor adjustments we did a really good flight using the stock C172. The point I am trying to make is to enjoy the experience of flying. You have a good computer. Just slow down and build up FSX the way you want it. Do a lot of reading and studying about flying and computers. I found this to be very essential. There is a lot of material at your disposal that you can add to your simulator. Be warned. A lot of them are good programs, some, not so good. You just can't go slamming them into the computer and then expect to get good results.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Oh ok, well should I get a computer custom made and return this Alienware?

Nope. Keep what you have. There are a couple of things that could be different but the gain would be so small it's not worth the time or money. As I said in my reply to your other post, nobody can run FSX maxxed with a bunch of add-ons using precious CPU cycles and chewing up valuable virtual address space. But the Alienware you have is more than capable. That box is 90+ percent of all that can be done with running FSX and chasing the other 10% is going to be a very expensive proposition and may get you no better results than when you started. Just my humble opinion (but I've been there).....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

If you return it in fully working order it costs something. Returns are meant for defective products.

It sounds like yours works as advertised.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/what-exactly-is-alienwares-return-policy-us.249696/

Well no, the store I purchased it from has a 15 day full refund guarantee. So I have another 2 weeks to return it with no fee if I'm not happy with it.

I recently paid a visit to see my Godson. He had been trying to fly on his laptop that is really inadequate to really enjoy the flight sim experience, the cracked screen did not help either. After we sat down and I did a few minor adjustments we did a really good flight using the stock C172. The point I am trying to make is to enjoy the experience of flying. You have a good computer. Just slow down and build up FSX the way you want it. Do a lot of reading and studying about flying and computers. I found this to be very essential. There is a lot of material at your disposal that you can add to your simulator. Be warned. A lot of them are good programs, some, not so good. You just can't go slamming them into the computer and then expect to get good results.

Thanks, okay that's good to hear that my machine is capable. As far as "building up" I'm new to this FSX thing so I wouldn't know where to start. Trust me, I've done a lot of studying about aviation lol, I've been an airline pilot for 10 years now. Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated.

Nope. Keep what you have. There are a couple of things that could be different but the gain would be so small it's not worth the time or money. As I said in my reply to your other post, nobody can run FSX maxxed with a bunch of add-ons using precious CPU cycles and chewing up valuable virtual address space. But the Alienware you have is more than capable. That box is 90+ percent of all that can be done with running FSX and chasing the other 10% is going to be a very expensive proposition and may get you no better results than when you started. Just my humble opinion (but I've been there).....

Doug

Awesome, thanks Doug. I will start reading up on other forums to figure out where to even start. I feel like there is so many add on's and programs and videos it's overwhelming! Haha

Awesome, thanks Doug. I will start reading up on other forums to figure out where to even start. I feel like there is so many add on's and programs and videos it's overwhelming! Haha

And this exactly is the problem. These fancy addons that make FSX really shine cost a lot of money too. After some time you will have spent more on those than you did on your computer. Just add up what only the essential high quality addons will cost you (ActiveSky Next, REX4 Textures, FTX Global and Vector, a PMDG or A2A plane, a few nice Airport sceneries). And those only get you started...

And this exactly is the problem. These fancy addons that make FSX really shine cost a lot of money too. After some time you will have spent more on those than you did on your computer. Just add up what only the essential high quality addons will cost you (ActiveSky Next, REX4 Textures, FTX Global and Vector, a PMDG or A2A plane, a few nice Airport sceneries). And those only get you started...

Thanks so much for that list! Would those programs would together or do I need to choose between one or the other?

Thanks so much for that list! Would those programs would together or do I need to choose between one or the other?

Every one of those improves a different aspect of the sim. You would need all of them together.

- ActiveSkyNext improves the weather depiction

- REX4Texture improve sky, clouds, water and some other things

- FTX Global improves land textures

- FTX Vector improves roads etc (this is debatable, there are other packages superior to -Vector, but they only cover a limited area, whereas Vector works globally)

Which aircraft you like, you will have to decide for yourself. PMDG, A2A, RealAir, Aerosoft (Airbus) make some of the best.

Same goes for Airports - just decide on which location you would like and check out the offerings for it. One single high class airport scenery alone will set you back between 15 and 30$.

Now is a good time to go hunting for special sales, there are some on right now.

But, as the others already wrote, please make sure that you actually really NEED these improvements (each of those comes at a cost in money and performance). It would be wiser to just start out with what you have, and if you see something you don't like, maybe improve on that. There is a ton of freeware out too.

Every one of those improves a different aspect of the sim. You would need all of them together.

- ActiveSkyNext improves the weather depiction

- REX4Texture improve sky, clouds, water and some other things

- FTX Global improves land textures

- FTX Vector improves roads etc (this is debatable, there are other packages superior to -Vector, but they only cover a limited area, whereas Vector works globally)

Which aircraft you like, you will have to decide for yourself. PMDG, A2A, RealAir, Aerosoft (Airbus) make some of the best.

Same goes for Airports - just decide on which location you would like and check out the offerings for it. One single high class airport scenery alone will set you back between 15 and 30$.

Now is a good time to go hunting for special sales, there are some on right now.

But, as the others already wrote, please make sure that you actually really NEED these improvements (each of those comes at a cost in money and performance). It would be wiser to just start out with what you have, and if you see something you don't like, maybe improve on that. There is a ton of freeware out too.

Again thanks for breaking it down for me, that really helps. One thing I don't really like is the ground textures and the airports. I wish the environments looked more like google maps. Also the airports and ground equipment/traffic don't seem realistic one bit.

I think you must have much more than 180 watts - probably something like 600 or 800 watts in the power supply...

I myself have a CyberpowerPC Super Gaming PC on order: CPU Intell 6700K - not overclocked (at this time) liquid cooled, a GTX 970, and 16MB RAM. Don't know if I'm allowed to say here, but I bought it from (initials "TD"): But I think the're stringing me along after a week of waiting after purchase - I think it may be out of stock right now - but I hope it will be worth the wait - thought of doing my own build, but the cost of something going wrong, and the price of components; Well, I'll leave the build to the geeks...

I think you must have much more than 180 watts - probably something like 600 or 800 watts in the power supply...

I myself have a CyberpowerPC Super Gaming PC on order: CPU Intell 6700K - not overclocked (at this time) liquid cooled, a GTX 970, and 16MB RAM. Don't know if I'm allowed to say here, but I bought it from (initials "TD"): But I think the're stringing me along after a week of waiting after purchase - I think it may be out of stock right now - but I hope it will be worth the wait - thought of doing my own build, but the cost of something going wrong, and the price of components; Well, I'll leave the build to the geeks...

Well how do I check my watts? That sounds like a nice system, what was price range if you don't mind me asking?

Again thanks for breaking it down for me, that really helps. One thing I don't really like is the ground textures and the airports. I wish the environments looked more like google maps. Also the airports and ground equipment/traffic don't seem realistic one bit.

If you want the ground to look like google maps, search for photorealistic texture sets and read about what they do. For example MegaSceneryEarth does those. Covering one single state or country in photoreal costs anything between 30 and 100 $, depending on quality. Unless you find a freeware offering. And as photoreal is mostly flat (no houses or trees) you may need an additional autogen product in the same price range.

Payware airports are a lot bettter, even some freeware ones. But consider this: if you only cover the major air hubs of the world with payware scenery for 20-30$ each, you will have to spend several thousand $$...

The real question here is "want" or "need" IMHO.

OH, btw I forgot: FsGlobal Ultimate or FSGenesis or the FreeMeshX for mesh (= elevation data of the earth's surface). The default mesh is not terribly high rez, so mountains etc. are too "smooth" or rounded.

It was $1,400 from TigerDirect (looks like it's OK to give the name -every forum has different rules). The power supply wattage should be on the spec sheet from Alienware.

I was thinking about buying a PC from Alienware - but then I saw it was bought-out by Dell, (whose PC's are not know to be stellar examples of graphics display). Plus, I think Alienware is overpriced - they seem concentrate a lot on eye candy: But, they still put out good gaming computers, and should be more than adequate to handle the demands

of FSX...

If you want the ground to look like google maps, search for photorealistic texture sets and read about what they do. For example MegaSceneryEarth does those. Covering one single state or country in photoreal costs anything between 30 and 100 $, depending on quality. Unless you find a freeware offering. And as photoreal is mostly flat (no houses or trees) you may need an additional autogen product in the same price range.

Payware airports are a lot bettter, even some freeware ones. But consider this: if you only cover the major air hubs of the world with payware scenery for 20-30$ each, you will have to spend several thousand $$...

The real question here is "want" or "need" IMHO.

OH, btw I forgot: FsGlobal Ultimate or FSGenesis or the FreeMeshX for mesh (= elevation data of the earth's surface). The default mesh is not terribly high rez, so mountains etc. are too "smooth" or rounded.

Oh geez. This can get pricey haha. Yeah I guess I'll have to figure out what areas I'll want to fly in. There are so many add ons!!! Do you use any of those you've listed?

It was $1,400 from TigerDirect (looks like it's OK to give the name -every forum has different rules). The power supply wattage should be on the spec sheet from Alienware.

I was thinking about buying a PC from Alienware - but then I saw it was bought-out by Dell, (whose PC's are not know to be stellar examples of graphics display). Plus, I think Alienware is overpriced - they seem concentrate a lot on eye candy: But, they still put out good gaming computers, and should be more than adequate to handle the demands

of FSX...

Ahh I see. That's a pretty price tag! I hope it doesn't give me any issues, I've only had it a few days and I'm out of town on a trip. Ill try to find the specs and see what it says. I found it online and it says "330 W AC Adapter" I'm guessing that's the plug and not the actual power supply?

Oh geez. This can get pricey haha. Yeah I guess I'll have to figure out what areas I'll want to fly in. There are so many add ons!!! Do you use any of those you've listed?

Sure, all of them. I don't recommend stuff to others that I do not personally own. But don't take my word for it, there are a lot of threads on the forums too, about how to start with what addons in FSX. Do your own reading and try to get an understanding of how the sim works, what components it has and what those addons actually do. Then decide on what to buy. And before you do buy it, ask back here if the product you selected is worth it. There is a big chance that someone already owns it or can point you at an alternative - maybe even a free one.

And be mindful of the fact that every addon will cost you a bit of sim performance. It will look nice, but it will nibble at your FPS and memory. So asking beforehand and watching out for reviews and user experiences is imperative IMO.

One of the first purchases I made for FSX years ago was the mesh (one of the FS Globals), as the elevation profile was the one thing that bothered me most - if you know the shape of those mountains by heart, FSX default can be "not so nice".

Sure, all of them. I don't recommend stuff to others that I do not personally own. But don't take my word for it, there are a lot of threads on the forums too, about how to start with what addons in FSX. Do your own reading and try to get an understanding of how the sim works, what components it has and what those addons actually do. Then decide on what to buy. And before you do buy it, ask back here if the product you selected is worth it. There is a big chance that someone already owns it or can point you at an alternative - maybe even a free one.

And be mindful of the fact that every addon will cost you a bit of sim performance. It will look nice, but it will nibble at your FPS and memory. So asking beforehand and watching out for reviews and user experiences is imperative IMO.

One of the first purchases I made for FSX years ago was the mesh (one of the FS Globals), as the elevation profile was the one thing that bothered me most - if you know the shape of those mountains by heart, FSX default can be "not so nice".

Excellent. Thank you, I will do that. Do you have any freeware that's worth downloading?

If I remember correctly, the X52 ships with an external 180W AC adapter. I replaced it with the Dell FWCRC 240W AC Adapter. Runs cooler. FSX Gold Accelerator ran okay on it but I have since switched to the XPS 8700 Windows 10 Pro system.

Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Archived