Default C172 - nav and beacon light questions

Qballbandit

Hello,

My default C172's rotating beacon is not visible in exterior view. Yes, everything is on, and all other lights function.

Also, from the interior right & left views, the nav lights are off position, as in not on wing tip.

What parms in which config files can I look at to correct - or is there a larger problem to solve?

Thanks very much,

Neil

Let's start by having you show the [Lights] section from the aircraft.cfg. The beacon lights should be referencing an Effect from your Effects folder. The Effect may be missing.

Wingtip lights can be moved to their correct position (this may take trial and error). I would tend to doubt there will be a "wing-flex" problem causing the lights to shift while flying.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr. Zippy,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Here ya go:

[LIGHTS]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit

light.0 = 3, -2.88, -18.11, 2.95, fx_navred

light.1 = 3, -2.88, 18.11, 2.95, fx_navgre

light.2 = 2, -3.15, -18.31, 2.95, fx_strobe

light.3 = 2, -3.15, 18.31, 2.95, fx_strobe

light.4 = 1, -20.60, 0.00, 6.33, fx_beacon

light.5 = 4, -2.77, 0.00, 1.40, fx_vclight

light.6 = 5, -12.88, -4.11, 3.95, Newll

light.7 = 5, -12.88, 4.11, 3.95, Newll

I do see the "fx_beacon.fx" file in the root effects folder.

Comparing it to the default C182, where the same file/light works, I am baffled.

I am familiar in the trainsim world with shifting light positions, but not sure the values are the same; -2.88, -18.11, 2.95 (which is left/right; which is high/low; which is fore/aft)

Much appreciated :)

Neil

EDIT: I just now found that I need to hit "L" to get the beacon to function. it won't come on using the panel switch. It is an add-on panel, so is there something I can tweak to get the switch to work is now the mission.

I notice in fsx as well that sometimes a popup panel switch has no effect.

In that case there are two (three) options.

install a popup panel from a differen aircraft.

But often not easy to find one that has those exact switches all.

You could keep the popup in, and install an additional one just for that one switch, but I find that gets confusing.

Look around in the VC for the switch. There is a good chance that will be effective.

Edit the XML file for the not fully working popup panel.

I find that not easy, .xml gauge file editing. Easy to acces, but hard to know what to fix.

And, sometimes the gauge is not a .xml but a .dll or .gau file. Those are harder to get at. (Maybe a .gau is possible with a payware tool, I forget which, maybe FSPanelStudio or something.)

//Notice again, I'm talking FSX, but It shouldn't differ that much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you both for your replies.

I'll check the VC and see if the switch works. If not, I can live with the "L" key for now.

And, the positioning info helps a lot - I can run with that.

Best to you both.

Neil

It's always fun to bang my head on the desk and figure things out. Is the addon panel strictly a 2D panel and is it freeware? How about a link to it or file name if it came from the Library here? Maybe a little bit of tap dancing will accomplish wonders!;)

heh-heh, ya - that could be a challenge. This is a very recent slam copy of my old XP version of FS9 (onto my WIN 7 box) - which I have not run in 4 years plus, because of that XP machine's mobo dying a slow death (causing frequent freezes).

After the long hiatus, I have forgotten almost everything I used to know, which was quite a bit, sadly.

I'll see if I can get that info tomorrow, and reply back.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this! :)

Neil

Good morning mrzippy,

The addon panel in question is Chuck Grimes CG172r12.zip.

Just a nice 2D panel.

Neil

Gave it the ol college try! I was attempting to replace the beacon light switch with one from another aircraft. No difference. It must be something in a .cab file that isn't worded correctly for the operation of that switch. I guess it will be "Press the L key".

Roger that. Appreciate the "ol college try"! :)

If I may, let me ask one more lighting question. I notice on this new FS install, that I am not seeing taxi or landing lights illuminate for my GA aircraft.

I used to see them on the old XP machine, so not sure if there is a "setting" on this new install on the WIN& box that just ain't right?

Thoughts?

Neil

Hello again mrzippy,

Yes, that option is checked. When in external view at night, I can barely see the lights, but I see them - kind of a very pale glow, not like it should be.

Can't see them at all in the 2D cockpit.

Neil

How about any other aircraft like a 737? Can you see the landing lights from the cockpit? Have you tried reverting back to the default panel? I wonder if you were using a modified Halo.bmp on your old system that gave you better looking lights?

The readme clearly states that you must back up your default 172 panel AND model files THEN install his 'updated' MODEL and PANEL and GAUGES.

He says to say yes to 'overwrite' but I would be cautious. Say no, one at a time, then make a note of which gauge is going to be overwritten. Go to gauges and add 'bck' to each gauge (ie: '*.gau.bck') and THEN go re-do the copy and overwrite. At least you have a back up of those gauges, just in case.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hello napamule2,

This is not a new add. I added this panel/gauges/etc. back in 2005. I just recently copied my old FS files to a new FS install, on my WIN 7 machine. Everything is visible and functional in the 2D, it's just that the Taxi & Landing lights are barely visible - both internal and external.

When looking externally, I can just barely see the lights - a barely noticeable faint beam, almost non-existent. I can reposition them up/down/side-to side, but I can hardly see them, like I used to - an obvious white beam of light.

This also goes for my C182!

I have not yet had time to check the other default aircraft, but will today.

Thanks for your reply,

Neil

And reporting back,

I can see perfect landing lights on the default 737's/747's, etc.

It's my default C172 & C182 (with add-on panels), where I can just barely see landing or taxi lights.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Neil

***EDIT: This issue has been resolved, as Nicks landing lights just saved the day. :)

Archived