Re-install of Active Sky 6 - to new WIN7 Machine advice

Qballbandit

Good morning,

After a 4 year absence in flightsim, I have copied my FS2004 install from a near dead XP system, to a well built WIN 7 machine.

I have FS up and running beautifully. All of my add-ons are copied over, but Active Sky 6 with GE Pro needs to be re-installed for the sake of proper registry entries.

Would someone be willing to advise me on how to get started, as I can't seem to be able to locate an install exe., or lic file, but have the whole slew of files in the modules folder in tact. Been so long.

Is Jim Skorna still the main man?

Thanks so much for any advice thrown my way.

Also comforting to see some familiar names from way back, still flapping their wings here. :)

Best,

Neil

I don't know how much this will help you but this ReadMe file was included with my download of AS6.

Dijvid

PLEASE READ THIS:

This is a special ActiveSky 6 installation package unwrapper for ASV/ASVE Users. You MUST have ASV or ASVE INSTALLED on the machine you are running this unwrapper on. ASV/E presence will be verified and the FULL installation package for ActiveSky 6 will be created in the destination folder.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you BACK UP this FULL installation folder in case you need to re-install ActiveSky 6 without the need to have ASV/ASVE on the system.

Upgrade Installation:

1) Run the “Unwrap-ASv6.exe” program provided in this download package.

2) Follow the prompts. ASV/E existence will be verified and the ASv6 full install package will be saved into the specified installation folder.

3) If you wish to uninstall ASV/E, please do it now, BEFORE actually installing ASv6*.

4) Run the ASv6 full install setup.exe program (it can optionally be automatically launched at the completion of the upgrade installation process).

* If you uninstall ASV After installing ASv6, some shared files might be removed causing ASv6 runtime problems. If this occurs, you can run the ASv6 installer again and choose the REPAIR option to replace such files automatically.

ActiveSky Version 6 and ActiveSky Graphics are being launched as an integrated/combined product and can be purchased for immediate download at http://sales.hifisim.com/ASv6 Existing ASV/E users can upgrade to ASv6+Graphics absolutely free from http://sales.hifisim.com/ASv6/downloads.htm

Good day shanwick,

I thank you for your reply!

May I ask what directory you find the file in, because all I have at the moment are 2 directories in the MODULES folder:Image_2015-11-06 1205.24.999.jpgImage_2015-11-06 1205.36.295.jpg

Unless there is a "Program Files" folder still left on my old "broken" XP machine, but I looked a few times, when the machine stayed up long enough, and nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks much,

Neil

I have AS65 that I moved from an XP machine to a Win 7 PC I put together.

AS 65 is installed in the modules folder of FS9. I assume AS 6 is similar. There will be some registry entries that need to be made.

I set up my Win 7 PC with the same folder hierarchy as my XP machine.

I went to my simmarket order history file and got the key for installation from the order invoice - or it was in my conformation e-mail, or both. I originally saved all of that to CD when I purchased it.

If you do not have the install file and saved information, for a small fee simmarket will make available a download.

My AS65 was a culmination of several upgrades from the original so I did not want to have to install all of the dependent previous versions. What I decided to do was purchase Active Sky Enhanced since I also have FSX and ASE works with both. ASE will pull in GE Pro textures as a batch process. If it can't than you can take screen captures of the various situations for replacement textures and ASE will pull them in.

If your AS6 was installed as a full version, then you are not dependent on previous versions and can stick with it probably.

Hope this helps.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello ronzie,

Yes, as you can see from my screenshot above, I have a bunch of updates as well. Was (is) simmarket the sole place to purchase AS? I Have no idea if that is where I purchased it, as it's so many years back now.

I just tried to login, and have no account there - at least not recognized by the username I am trying to use.

It might help if you configure win explorer to show file extensions and hidden files, etc. Click tools/folder options/view and enable those choices. Now you'll see which are exe files that you can click on in the list or detail view.

There is another 'gotcha'. A few years ago hi-fi sim changed their weather server location and a service pack had to be installed to download archive or current weather. Without the update it showed no such date.

In your ASv6 folder is asv6.ini and that needs to be updated for current paths as used in Win 7 particularly your documents path. Use a text editor. Then double click ASv6.exe. You might have to choose run as admin to meet Win 7 security. See what happens.

They also have a warning for copy protection that when you connect to their server they check your IP address for change. Now I am on DSL and my IP address for the cloud is managed by my provider via cloud DHCP and can change. I do not pay for a fixed address so that statement puzzles me. Maybe they only check the range owned by that provider. This only may be for ASE.

So check your .ini folders for your new paths, etc. See what happens.

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi again ronzie.

Simmarket confirmed that they have no record of my account, so out of luck there.

At this point, I am willing to purchase the whole package (ActiveSky Evolution?) over again, so I can start the install fresh, include any updates, and go from there.

I do appreciate your replies very much!

Neil

ASE works with FS9 and FSX. There will be two setups.

If you like you can get deep into it to bring in your ASG graphics. There is no automatic import for that. The is a document on batch importing your GE Pro graphics in the manual.

Again, what is different is the where the user application data and document folders are in Win 7 as opposed to XP.

Here is how I moved the ASG graphics into ASE. You'll need to register as a forum user after you register ASE on your Win 7 PC. This thread refers to Win 7 structure:

http://www.hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?5219-Importing-ASG-texture-groups-into-ASE-from-networked-PC-AS65

If you are don't want ASG graphics, just GE Pro, there is an automatic process for that after you get GE Pro installed on your Win 7 PC.

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Following up:

I can't seem to find any place that has me on record purchasing ASV6, so I feel like I've hit a dead end. Can't see anywhere where I can pay again for the full package either.

This said, are there any other Cloud/graphics packages that will load to FS9 based on real METAR's?

I have GE Pro up and running again, but will have to make selections manually now without ASV6. Also have ASE, but with no cloud packs, I'm stuck.

Appreciate any information and suggestions very much,

Neil

Please see page 14 in the ASE user manual. It tells about importing graphics from GE Pro. The GE Pro integration button will only show if GE Pro is installed.

I don't have GE Pro but I did read this part again today.

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was the graphics form ASV (clouds) that I needed in ASE, not from GE PRO.

The good news is, hifisimtech came through for me, overnight, with a new ASV6 install .exe, so I am officially back in business. ASV6 is back up, configured, and functional. ASE can import cloud sets now. And, ASV is in sync with GE PRO.

Took a week to get here, and I sincerely thank everyone who responded and provided input. :)

Best,

Neil

Archived