Gyro Sound in certain Add On Planes

SPOFF

I have recently come back to FS9 after a long absence. After a total UNINSTALL (Multiple) of FS9, and finally using the Crack NoCd to get back FS9, I reinstalled a Beech 18 by Milton Shupe. (D18svc) It worked FINE. I regained my ATC Audio that had disapeared years ago...as well as the "Gyro Sound" winding up when the battery's were turned on.

Then I diddled around trying to Re-Insatll a P-51 Mustang. I installed/uninstalled it a couple of times. The installer said the installation was a success BUT it didn't appear anywhere.

ANYWHO: I've lost the "Gyro Sound" for the Beech 18. Can I grab this sound from somewhere else and RE-Insert it ...somewhere. SPOFF

ANYWHO: I've lost the "Gyro Sound" for the Beech 18. Can I grab this sound from somewhere else and RE-Insert it ...somewhere. SPOFF

Check your sound folder of your aircraft. Is there a file called gyrosound.wav or something similar? If the .wav is there then look in the sound.cfg for a section that uses that .wav file. This sample came from my C172. Check any default aircraft sound files to see if the gyro sound is used and copy from there.

[GYRO_SOUND]

filename=c172_gyro

maximum_volume=8800

The .wav file and [GYRO_SOUND] can be added and tried in different aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks guys for the input. There was no .wav file for Gyro sound in the "Sound" folder of the Beech 18..only a single folder called SOUND in the Sound folder which wouldn't Open or Play.

SO: I went to my "Howard 500" (Aircraft) and copied the Gyro sound file from that plane and went back to the Beech and pasted it into the Beech 18 sound folder. There are now TWO files in the Beech 18 sound folder: A file called SOUND, and the Gyro sound .Wav file from the Howard 500. If I click on the .wav file I can hear the Gyro sound on my media player.

Booting up FS9, Beech 18, still no Gyro sound in the Beech 18. SPOFF

Thanks guys for the input. There was no .wav file for Gyro sound in the "Sound" folder of the Beech 18..only a single folder called SOUND in the Sound folder which wouldn't Open or Play.

SO: I went to my "Howard 500" (Aircraft) and copied the Gyro sound file from that plane and went back to the Beech and pasted it into the Beech 18 sound folder. There are now TWO files in the Beech 18 sound folder: A file called SOUND, and the Gyro sound .Wav file from the Howard 500. If I click on the .wav file I can hear the Gyro sound on my media player.

Booting up FS9, Beech 18, still no Gyro sound in the Beech 18. SPOFF

What is the .zip filename of the Beech18 you are using? Is it from the Library here?

I tried the one in the File Library and the sound folder contained an alias to the DC-3 sound.

sound.JPG

I would copy the entire Howard 500 sound folder to your Beech 18 folder.

Hi Zippy. The file is D18SVC4.zip. It came from Flightsimonline.com/d18s/ back in September 2006. SPOFF

OK, that's the one I tried! I would recommend copying the Howard500 sound folder to Beech18 aircraft folder and using those sounds since it has the gyro .wav file. The aircraft are similar.

UPDATE: Just tried the Howard500 sound folder in the Beech18 and it worked perfectly! I never sat in the cockpit long enough to listen to the gyros spin up after turning on the battery.

Hi Zippy: Do I have to DELETE anything in the Beech 18 folder... Before I copy over the Howard 500 sound folder..?? Just verifying: "Howard 500 sound folder to Beech18 AIRCRAFT folder. SPOFF

You can delete the old sound folder if you wish or just overwrite the old folder with the new one. Confirmed...Howard 500 sound folder to Beech 18 aircraft folder.

Enjoy!:D

Hi again Zippy: Thanks for your input. You have suggested replacing the complete sound folder in the Beech 18 with the complete sound folder from the Howard 500. I may try that.

The missing Gyro sound in the Beech 18 seems to be less important, when considering that replacing the entire file will also give me the more powerful sound of the engines in the Howard 500. I understand that many of the Add On planes use "Stock" sounds from "Other" planes...such as the DC3 in FS9. If I make the change I will report back. I know I can reverse the action if I'm not happy with the results.. Thanks again Zippy. SPOFF

In a sound folder is normally:

a file, "sound.cfg"

and

a lot of other files, .wav files.

The sound.cfg file is read by fsx when using the plane. It contains the info which files are played, how loud, and when you need to hear them.

The .wav files are the sound files that are played.

If you look in the sound.cfg file (you can open this with notepad), you will see how these .wav files are played in fsx.

For example, are they heard in outside view or inside, how loud, etc.

By changing/editing the sound.cfg you can change what the plane sounds like. Doing that is quite tricky.

I had a few planes that had a whining sound in the engine that I didn't like. I tried editing the sound.cfg but could not figure out how to fix it.

Eventually I just played all the .wav files one at a time, and found the whining sound that way. I then disabled that .wav file itself, by changing it's filename from:

xxxxxx.wav

to

xxxxxx.wav.bak

And, no more whining sound.

--------------------------------------------

Some addons don't have a complete sound folder with all those files in it.

Instead all they have in the sound folder is a file named sound.cfg

And if you open that sound.cfg file in notepad you will see that all it contains is:

[fltsim]

alias=B737_400\sound

Which means:

"Dear fsx, if you load this aircraft, please load for it the files located in folder:

B737_400\sound"

In other words, this aircraft will use the sounds from the 737_400.)

Of course that means to hear sound for this aircraft, there must be a

B737_400\sound

folder in your main

..\Simobjects\Aircraft

folder

---------------

If you want to replace the "alias" setup, and give this plane it's own sound, just delete the \sound folder that it has now. Then put in the sound folder that you want.

The other way around works too.

So you can also delete a "complete" sound folder, and replace it with a \sound folder that just contains an "alias" sound.cfg file.

as you like.

(remember of course to make backups before deleting.)

------------

The aircraft.cfg file contains in the first sections a line:

sound=

(with nothing behind the = sign)

that means: for this aircraft, look in folder ..\"This Aircraft"\sound and use that sound.cfg file.

If the line was for example:

sound=AAA

That would mean:

Dear fsx, for this aircraft load the sound.cfg file from folder ..\"This aircraft"\sound.AAA

--

each testure has it's own line:

sound=

so that means you could even use different sounds with different textures of the same aircraft.

===========================

(I use FSX, and the alias setup in the sound.cfg file is sometimes a small problem when using a FS2004 addon aircraft in fsx.

In an addon that is "for FS2004" the sound.cfg sometimes links to an fs2004 default aircraft. But those are not all present in fsx.

In fsx for example there is no B737_400. So if the sound.cfg refers to "alias=B737_400\sound" you would hear nothing when loading that plane in fsx. I would need to edit the sound.cfg so it says "alias=B737_800\sound" instead. The B737_800 is in fsx, so after that small edit the sound in the addon plane works fine.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived