Simulation Rate ("R" key control) not working correctly

b3burner

In FSX, when I hit the R key, and advance the sim-rate with the + key past 4x, it will indicate that it's higher, but it won't actually move any faster than 4x. (Examp... I can max out the rate at 128x, but it still only moves at a rate of 4x). I confirmed this watching the cockpit clock on the default Cessna 172 as I was doing this.

This seems to mainly happen while I'm still in the plane on the ground. If I roll down the runway, takeoff, and get airborne, then it rapidly shoots into 128x mode, and the plane (as you might guess) is barely flyable that way. If I throttle back and allow it to lose airspeed, then the sim rate slows back down to 4x (baring in mind the indicator in the upper-right corner has never once changed, and has read 128x, this whole time).

A few other details:

1. I'm a Windows 7- 64 bit user.

2. It also happens on my v2.5 copy of P3D.

3. It DOES NOT happen on my FS9. (Which is to say, it works fine... no concerns there).

4. I noticed this for the first time last night, a few days after having just run the FSX-Steam update to v10.0.6215.0... and having added the new version of FSUIPC (v4.947-- October 8, 2015).

5. I tried removing my fsx.cfg file and putting in a safe storage folder off to the side, but it didn't help any. Same problem, even with the newly generated fsx.cfg file.

5a. On a side note (different issue), when I went to put my old fsx.cfg file back where I had had it before switching it out, the simulator remembered my display settings, but didn't remember my uniquely (customized) key short cuts. Why is that? I thought the idea of saving my old fsx.cfg is that if I put it back, it's supposed to remember all my key assignments. Yet oddly enough, it seems to have remembered most of my joystick assignments... so go figure. But 5a.'s just a side note. Back to the main point at hand above--

What do you think might be preventing the sim rate from advancing properly, while the plane is on the ground? Do you think the update has anything to do with it? Could it be an FSUIPC issue?

Thanks,

-- John

Hi John,

As far as I know this is by design (or a bug in FSX that has never been solved).

But I suspect it';s just a built-in limitation.

FSX boxed (Sp1/2/Accel) does the same.

No clue why this changed (IF it has) from FS9 to FSX.

But indeed, when the aircraft is on the ground, sim-rate doesn't get higher then 4.

As also reflected (unlike in the menu) in FSX's internal variables..

Rob

Didn't know that one. On the ground R: -1/4x, -1/2x, 0x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x. Wow, never new.

I took off at R = 128x (don't know how cause it behaved like a V1 on steroids) managed to reach 14000 feet in nano seconds (estimated not display) and at some point in it, R went on its own to 16x. It crashed little afterward. Not even fun.

It didn't settle at 4x that's for sure.

Cheers,

Okay thank you to all who replied. I guess in all my years of working with FS9, and having full functionality of 2x through 128x, I would have never thought to check that FSX's only works on a stand-still up to 4x. This is because I seldom change the sim rate to a faster one, and I guess I had never had a reason to do it in FSX until last night.

As for the the Controls Folder containing my current key settings... do you mean to say that when I make changes it stores them there, but as soon as I backed my most recent 'FSX.cfg' out and let the sim build a new one upon restart, it also erased my Standard.XML file and created a new default one of those too?! Dang! Never knew it did that. I guess I should have backed up my custom set 'Standard.XML' along with my custom set 'FSX.cfg'. I'll know for next time.

Thanks,

-- John

Archived