Transponder Certification Question:

Hey everyone. Well over 90% of my Avionics Career has been military aviation. During this time, I have done many annual and biannual transponder Mode C checks and Pitot Static, and Altimiter accuracy checks over the years. In the military world they just trained you on how to do it, and the aircraft maitenance manual had the limitations in it, when it was done you signed it off.

Now that I work in the civilian sector for an on-demand cargo company, I hear things are abit different. What do I have to do, to be qualified or certified to sign off on an aircraft's mode C check, or an Altimeter leak/accuracy check? It would save my employer alot of money if they can get me certified to sign it off rather then flying the aircraft to another airport for another shop to check it.

Also, my boss' first cousin once removed has recruited my assistance in upgrading the transponder in his Beech Baron. It would be nice to be able to leagally sign off on the check once it's done.

Currecntly I have Airframe and Powerplant certifications with many years of avionics work in my military background.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Hi Jonathan!

I don't have a good answer, since even after I got out of the Corps I stayed with "military" gear and services. I just wanted to say Hello! to a fellow tweak :D And welcome to the Forums.

I think, although rarely, that to get IFF certified, and I may well be wrong, you have to take FAA classes similar to you A&P. You might try asking your local A&P instructor how to get you AVI cert. I may be wrong though. It's been a LONG time since I helped my lovely wife with her A&P. Me, I always stayed I-Level and pretty much avoided being out on the line whenever possible, and since I spent a lot of time in Yuma, AZ, "out on the line" was a bloody hot place to be, trust me. AVA, AFTA, and AVI-C7 were school enough for me :)

Anyway, glad to "meet" ya, hope you enjoy your time here :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived