FSX won't install from DVD's only used once

mondo19

Hi

Can anybody help explain what this error message means that appears when I try to run the FSX installation DVD :

[1608 Unable To Create Installdriver Instance................Return Code 2147024894]

Trying on a fresh install of windows 7x64 after replacing my HDD.

Checked the DVD on a spare PC running windows XP & worked OK

Tried numerous fixes from the Microsoft web site with no luck. Before my HDD failed it was working fine on the same windows [7x64]

My system is an Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8600 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 video card & windows home premium 7x64

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be much appreciated as I'm running out of ideas.

mondo19

Just an idea but there are two install destinations in Win 7, namely-

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

some people say FSX should be installed into one, but some people say into the other.

When I installed FSX from DVD's a while back it automatically chose (x86) to install itself into, so I let it go ahead and it installed and runs fine.

Hi

Can anybody help explain what this error message means that appears when I try to run the FSX installation DVD :

[1608 Unable To Create Installdriver Instance................Return Code 2147024894]

Trying on a fresh install of windows 7x64 after replacing my HDD.

Checked the DVD on a spare PC running windows XP & worked OK

Tried numerous fixes from the Microsoft web site with no luck. Before my HDD failed it was working fine on the same windows [7x64]

My system is an Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8600 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 video card & windows home premium 7x64

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be much appreciated as I'm running out of ideas.

mondo19

It'll be the fresh install of Windows - some of the installer updates won't have been downloaded and updated, or it could be the .net.

Either way, run Windows update a couple of times for a couple of days, then try installing FSX again.

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

some people say FSX should be installed into one, but some people say into the other.

When I installed FSX from DVD's a while back it automatically chose (x86) to install itself into, so I let it go ahead and it installed and runs fine.

And many other people will recommend avoiding Program Files altogether. Create a folder in the root C: and install it there to avoid problems with permissions etc.

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

The reason is that there are two different versions of win7. A 32bit version, and a 64 bit version of win7. (32 and 64 bit versions of xp, vista, win8, as well)

In the 32 bit version, there is only one program files directory, called "Program Files".

In the 64 bit versions there are two directories. One called "Program files", (for 64 bit programs), and the other is called "Program Files (x86)" and is for 32 bit programs.

FSX is 32 bit.

So on a 32 bit windows the default install location is "Program Files"

And in a 64 bit windows, the default install location for FSX will be "Program Files (x86)"

Why the x86 you ask.

Well, x86 computing is the same as 32 bit.

And x64 is for 64bit.

( for the history, google and read a wiki.)

You will see this when you download programs as well sometimes. If the program offers two versions you will get the choice of what to download.

for example the program 7-zip offers:

7Zip-x64

7Zip-x86.

When using a 32 bit windows you have to use 7Zip-x86. The other one won't even install.

When using 64 bit Windows you could choose. But I found out the 7Zip-x64 version works a lot better on 64bit Windows.

All that aside, You do not want to install FSX to the default location.

Things in "Program Files" or Program Files (x86) are protected by windows from changes. Which means that installing an addon, or a scenery, will be very difficult. You are locked out of that folder.

Instead you should install FSX to a different folder.

You create this somewhere yourself. For example a folder C:\FSX, (or E:\FSX if you want it on another drive.)

Then you run the installer, choose "advanced installation" and tell it to install to the folder you created.

Some people install FSX to program Files anyway, and then remove the Windows protection of that folder. Not a good idea. That protection is really usefull, and switching it off can put your system at more risk. It protects the important programs that ARE in Program Files folder(s), like you virusscanner for example. (This protection is call UAC).

Windows protects the folder by not allowing users or other programs (like viruses) to make changes to the files in there, so a virus can never disable your virusscanner by corrupting it's files.

By installing FSX to your own folder, you install it somewhere UAC does not control, and you are free to work on FSX as you like.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most likely it's a Windows InstallShield error. Mallcott has given good advice...installing all Windows updates may well solve the problem.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived