'Section 8' F-86 Sabre Jet...

Autolite

I've got a question reference the 'Section 8' F-86 Sabre jet. (I was going to ask on the 'Section 8' forum but it seems to be closed).

I'm running the Section 8 Sabre on MS 2004 COF (Win XP Home 32). The smoke plume from the engine is coloured light 'purple'. Is this normal? I thought that the smoke trail from a Sabre jet engine is suppose to be dark brown/black.

Does anyone else who's running this airplane see purple smoke from the tail-cone???

Does the smoke happen at engine start or when you initialize the [Smoke On 001.jpgSmoke Off 001.jpgSmokeSystem] by pressing the I key?

With 'Smoke ON' the exhaust plume is white with a slight purple ting. With 'Smoke OFF' the exhaust plume is light purple...

With 'Smoke ON' the exhaust plume is white with a slight purple ting. With 'Smoke OFF' the exhaust plume is light purple...

How about posting the [smokeSystem] from the aircraft.cfg file to see what effects file is being used.

There may be some difference between the FS9 and the FSX version. This is how mine blows smoke.

f-86.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

How about posting the [smokeSystem] from the aircraft.cfg file to see what effects file is being used.

Your aircraft seems to be blowing smoke normal. Here's what the FS2004 .cfg file shows. Maybe I should check the same file on the FSX version...

GCS0001.jpgGCS0002.jpg

[smokesystem]

smoke.0= -20.0, 0.00, 0.0, fx_SF86_EngFire // JR

smoke.1= -20.0, 0.00, 0.50, fx_smoke_w

What you are showing is from the [Lights] Section. Did you have all lights on by pressing L?

The coloring may be made up from the Orange and Blue flame and smoke. Mine is the same.

I've got a question reference the 'Section 8' F-86 Sabre jet. (I was going to ask on the 'Section 8' forum but it seems to be closed).

I'm running the Section 8 Sabre on MS 2004 COF (Win XP Home 32). The smoke plume from the engine is coloured light 'purple'. Is this normal? I thought that the smoke trail from a Sabre jet engine is suppose to be dark brown/black.

Does anyone else who's running this airplane see purple smoke from the tail-cone???

The color of smoke is set by parameters in the fx file (usually located in the effects folder). I believe it is the numbers after "color start" and color end." The trick though is to determine which numbers to use. RGB coloring is set by 3 sets of numbers. I think some fx files may use 4. However, your paint program in windows can easily help you, it has a feature to edit colors and by simply selecting a darker color or pure black, there are corresponding windows showing the numbers that represent that color. Backup the fx file and try experimenting, it's really not that hard. You can also change the density of the smoke if you like.

The color of smoke is set by parameters in the fx file (usually located in the effects folder). I believe it is the numbers after "color start" and color end." The trick though is to determine which numbers to use. RGB coloring is set by 3 sets of numbers. I think some fx files may use 4. However, your paint program in windows can easily help you, it has a feature to edit colors and by simply selecting a darker color or pure black, there are corresponding windows showing the numbers that represent that color. Backup the fx file and try experimenting, it's really not that hard. You can also change the density of the smoke if you like.

I'm a little hesitant to start messing around with the effects files but I might give it a try. First I'll have to watch a couple movies like "Jet Pilot" or the "Hunters" just to be sure that I get it right... :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050562/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051750/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3

Jet Pilot.jpgThe Hunters.jpg

Okay, so here is the ' exhaust fx' file for my Section 8 F-86 Sabre jet (FS2004). I see where it's says 'color start' and 'color end' with four values listed for each. You're saying that I can change the color of the Sabre's exhaust by changing those values...right?

F86 Exhaust fx.jpg

Update: I tried changing those values as you had suggested. Using 'Paint', I selected the values to go from black exhaust smoke to grey. However, there was no difference made at all on the first test flight. I must be missing something or I didn't understand something...

I'm glad you decided to give it a try, you are on the right track here and as long as you have backed up your original files, you can't hurt a thing. Once you get a little familiar with these fx files you will have fun customizing and adding smoke for several planes. And once you get the hang of it you will agree it's not that hard.

And I assume, and forgot to mention in my post, you are using notepad to open them right?

Is there also a ParticleAttributes.1 or is it just .0?

Ok, let's have at it here, we'll have you smoking just the color you want in no time.

I would start out trying this. It should be a gray of some sort. That 4th number value is density.

Color Start=75, 75, 75, 10

Color End=75, 75, 75, 0

And there is a file you may want to find, a tutorial on smoke effects. smoketut.zip (might be in flightsim yet?) which is a tutorial on smoke effects. I highly recommend it. You will soon be our expert on smoke effects and will agree with me it's not that hard at all, it just takes a little learning of how those fx files work.

Also don't forget you will be diddling around with 3 different exhaust color effects.

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

The actual smoke effect when the I key is also hit is white. Did you also try the "alternate" effects that had the // in front of them?

RCChopper has some good ideas! I did a small experiment and made a change to the effects being used. I had a smoke effect from a B-47 that I tried. With the [smokesystem] off I had puffs of black smoke out the tailpipe and nice effects by hitting the I key.

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

//light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

//light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

//light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

// alternate

// light.8= 6, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

// light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

// light.10=9, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

Sabre.JPG

I'm glad you decided to give it a try, you are on the right track here and as long as you have backed up your original files, you can't hurt a thing. Once you get a little familiar with these fx files you will have fun customizing and adding smoke for several planes. And once you get the hang of it you will agree it's not that hard.

And I assume, and forgot to mention in my post, you are using notepad to open them right?

Is there also a ParticleAttributes.1 or is it just .0?

Ok, let's have at it here, we'll have you smoking just the color you want in no time.

I would start out trying this. It should be a gray of some sort. That 4th number value is density.

Color End=75, 75, 75, 0

And there is a file you may want to find, a tutorial on smoke effects. smoketut.zip (might be in flightsim yet?) which is a tutorial on smoke effects. I highly recommend it. You will soon be our expert on smoke effects and will agree with me it's not that hard at all, it just takes a little learning of how those fx files work.

Indeed I'm using 'Notepad' and I backed-up the original fx files. I'll try it again and see how it goes. (and the 'Particle Attributes' is 0).

You mentioned that the fourth value is density. I read it labeled as being "Alpha" in the fx file for a different plane. I guess that would be te same as 'density' then right???

Also don't forget you will be diddling around with 3 different exhaust color effects.

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

The actual smoke effect when the I key is also hit is white. Did you also try the "alternate" effects that had the // in front of them?

Yeah, I saw those files too but I didn't mess with them. I'm not sure that I understand what effect those files have in relation to the 'exhaust fx' file. I think I need to play with it a bit more before I really get to know what I'm doing. ( and no, I didn't try the 'alternate' effects).

BTW, your experiment with the fx on your aircraft look super!!!

RCChopper has some good ideas! I did a small experiment and made a change to the effects being used. I had a smoke effect from a B-47 that I tried. With the [smokesystem] off I had puffs of black smoke out the tailpipe and nice effects by hitting the I key.

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_smoke_B47.fx // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

//light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

//light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

//light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

// alternate

// light.8= 6, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke

// light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke

// light.10=9, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183127[/ATTACH]

That much smoke would've gotten you shot down in a hurry!

..... or are you hit already?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Color End=75, 75, 75, 0

Yes, I tried those numbers but it still made no difference at all. I'm guessing that I must be missing some simple step or something else here. I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks guys for your help and patience! I'd really like to learn how to do this and understand it properly...

Yes, I tried those numbers but it still made no difference at all. I'm guessing that I must be missing some simple step or something else here. I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks guys for your help and patience! I'd really like to learn how to do this and understand it properly...

We have to be very close here on figuring this out. I don't have this plane but it does look nice. I may have to get it when I have more time and look at everything and figure it out. But, since you are willing to keep going and probably learning a bunch on the way, let's get it going for you.

I don't think the effects in the light section are at all what we want to modify. I'm thinking they are creating some flames and related smoke like an afterburner effect. ???? Sure, this could create a smoke effect but for now, I don't think this is the way to go and will make it way more complicated. I also suspect any smoke being emitted from this light effect may be interfering or masking other colors from the smokesystem. In that case we would either make a change to the color values in those effects files or just disable them altogether for now. It does say "flame and smoke" in that light section you posted earlier. So rather than try to fix that collection of colors just disable it would be my recommendation. Use // in front of those lights. You can easily undo that later.

What we need to resolve is in the smokesystem section. And let's confirm the aircraft.cfg is calling up the right effects file we are editing. exhaust fx I think you said in an earlier post.

But, since you are willing to keep going and probably learning a bunch on the way, let's get it going for you.

I should have some spare time later today or perhaps this evening to have another look at this.

The 'Section F8 F86 Sabre Jet' is a really terrific model! The creators did a spectacular job with it. I am running this airplane on FS2004 COF because AFAIK, they haven't as yet created a true FSX model of this plane. I think it's still in the works.

But I believe that its a very popular airplane. My lazy side is hoping that someone else with the same jet on the same program might be able to give us a look at their 'smoke fx' file... :D

Don't know if this will help ya, I spent quite bit of time downloading those F-86 Jets this last spring I have bout 22 of them for those F86's from the F86 site.

Heres my F-86 Aircraft CFG file, some areas I tweaked myself - cockpit lighting being one.

I get that Afterburner Flame effect just fine and the Jet Black smoke effects.

I also see a note in my CFG File that I installed Service Pack 1 for the F86, that I had found on 1 of the 3 major web sites , which updated the F-86 Sabre Jet for Section 8 F-86 Jets.

Heres my Current Aircraft CFG Files.

[lights]

//#1=beacon #2=strobe #3=nav #4=cockpit #5=landing

//#6=taxi #7=recog #8=wing #9=logo #10=cabin

//index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename

light.0= 3, -12.43, 18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_steadyg

light.1= 3, -25.55, 0.10, 1.81, fx_SF86_steadyw

light.2= 3, -12.43, -18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_steadyr

light.3= 2, -12.43, 18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_flashg

light.4= 2, -25.55, 0.10, 1.81, fx_SF86_flashw

light.5= 2, -12.43, -18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_flashr

light.6= 5, 8.60, -0.55, -2.10, fx_SF86_landing

light.7= 5, 8.60, 0.55, -2.10, fx_SF86_landing

// alternate

light.11=1, 0.60, 0.00, 0.00, fx_SF86_Firepower3 // JR gun flashes

light.12=7, -15.0, -18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices

light.13=7, -15.0, 18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices

light.14=10, -4.00, -4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2port // JR wing clouds

light.15=10, -4.00, 4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2star // JR wing clouds

light.16= 4, 1.92, -0.07, 1.48, cs707_vclightred

// light.17= 4, 1.0, 0.5, 1.6, cs707_vclightred

[effects]

wake=fx_wake

water=fx_spray

dirt=fx_SF86_Dust_medium // JR

concrete=fx_SF86_Belly_Sparks // JR

touchdown=fx_SF86_TireMark,1 // JR

contrail=fx_SF86_TurboSmokeHeat2 // JR

startup=fx_SF86_TurboStart2 // JR

windshield_rain_effect_available = 1

[smokesystem]

//smoke.0= 0.0, -27.0, 0.0, fx_SF86_EngFire // JR

smoke.0 = 0, -84.44, 0.50, fx_smoke_w

I should have some spare time later today or perhaps this evening to have another look at this.

The 'Section F8 F86 Sabre Jet' is a really terrific model! The creators did a spectacular job with it. I am running this airplane on FS2004 COF because AFAIK, they haven't as yet created a true FSX model of this plane. I think it's still in the works.

But I believe that its a very popular airplane. My lazy side is hoping that someone else with the same jet on the same program might be able to give us a look at their 'smoke fx' file... :D

Ok here we'll take this one careful step at a time.

1. Post the [sMOKESYSTEM] section. Not the light section you posted in post #5 even though that is creating some smoke. I (and you) need to verify that the file it calls up exactly matches the fx file name we will edit with the color values later (or you already have).

2. For the sake of avoiding any possible color mixing, put // in front of those lights (8, 9 and 10?) just like it is in front of the alternate lights. That will disable them for now, easily restored later.

Ok here we'll take this one careful step at a time.

Well, what I have got sorted out so far is that I've been modifying the the wrong files. There are various files listed as 'fx_engsmoke', 'fx_f86exhaust' and 'fx_SF86TurboSmokeHeat2'. Changing the values in these files made no difference.

I also have a Gmax Sabre Jet on this computer too! It seems that I was messing around with the smoke file for the wrong airplane.

Checking the 'Section F8 Sabre' installation files as opposed to the installed 'Effects' files on FS2004, I now at least know that the file I need to find reference the 'Section F8' jet has the prefix 'fx_SF86'.

There are six files for this airplane that are prefixed 'fx_TotalXaust'. I'm not sure where to start... (and it's already past my bedtime) :(

Well, what I have got sorted out so far is that I've been modifying the the wrong files. There are various files listed as 'fx_engsmoke', 'fx_f86exhaust' and 'fx_SF86TurboSmokeHeat2'. Changing the values in these files made no difference.

I also have a Gmax Sabre Jet on this computer too! It seems that I was messing around with the smoke file for the wrong airplane.

Checking the 'Section F8 Sabre' installation files as opposed to the installed 'Effects' files on FS2004, I now at least know that the file I need to find reference the 'Section F8' jet has the prefix 'fx_SF86'.

There are six files for this airplane that are prefixed 'fx_TotalXaust'. I'm not sure where to start... (and it's already past my bedtime) :(

That's the reason I asked you to post the smoke system section and the fx file name to make sure you are working with the correct file (and for the correct plane). The smoke system section I wanted to see is in the AIRCRAFT.CFG as mentioned earlier. Until I see that, there is little more I can do to help unfortunately. Read and follow my suggestions carefully and precisely. I have already told you where to start. And I certainly haven't recommended editing all those fx files you mentioned. Of course changing the values in those files made no difference. They are probably the wrong files!! You seem to be going off on your own unguided path now, making a VERY SIMPLE fix almost impossible.

Archived