FSX/FS9 joystick usage

ital

The Cyborg model has a twist rudder that might be more helpful.

So does the Logitech, which I have used for years without any problems.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

So does the Logitech, which I have used for years without any problems.

peace,

the Bean

Maybe I should read with my glasses on! Missed the first description about the twist rudder. I concur on the 2nd one!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro by far!

I have gone through three of them over the last 10 years or so - not because they fail, but I use them at least once a day, I drop them, my cat knocks it off my desk, etc. I really like them.

I was a real life USN pilot, have an FAA ATR, so I think I have some credibility.

Like many joysticks, it has a twist handle for rudder input, along with several pre programmable buttons. I suggest using the upper right toggle for nose up/down trim, the upper left toggle for incremental flaps, the trigger for gear up/down. (the "hat" switch between these two will default to panning around - leave it that way."

If you do not already know, study the OPTIONS/CONTROLS/BUTTONS and KEYS section of the Flight Sim MENU bar to set up the buttons - getting familiar with it will greatly increase your enjoyment.

With any joystick, once you calibrate it, don't fool with the settings for an individual airplane, because they all will feel different with those same settings. Instead, learn how to modify the [flight_tuning] section in the aircraft.cfg file using NOTEPAD or other text editor ;save a backup first. Typically all these airplane stability factors are set to a value of 1, but can be changed as you desire:

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar = 1.00

parasite_drag_scalar = 1.00

induced_drag_scalar = 1.00

elevator_effectiveness = 1:00

aileron_effectiveness = 1.00

rudder_effectiveness = 1:00

pitch_stability = 1.00

roll_stability = 1.00

yaw_stability = 1.00

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.00

aileron_trm_effectiveness = 1.00

rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.00

p_factor_on_yaw = 1.00

torque_on_roll = 1.00

gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1.00

gyro_precession_on_pitch= 1.00

hi_alpha_on_roll = 1.00

hi_alpha_on_yaw = 1.00

DON"T FOOL with lift or drag parameters - others are OK. For instance, if you don't want that annoying swerving around during takeoffs and power changes, set these as a test -

p_factor_on_yaw = 0.00

torque_on_roll = 0.00

gyro_precession_on_yaw = 0.00

gyro_precession_on_pitch= 0.00

hi_alpha_on_roll = 0.00

hi_alpha_on_yaw = 0.00

If this section, or some of its elements are missing, cut and paste them in - it works.

Make sure when you save the new version that it is going to saved as an ASCII type file with the proper name - aircraft.cfg, not something with a ".txt" extension.

And finally - I do not mean to insult anyone who designs a plane and makes it available, but flight sim does not allow for very accurate modeling of how some airplanes should actually handle, so there is no shame in getting it to fly well to your liking. Airplanes are inherently stable to a point, and handle in a relatively predictable fashion, just like a car. It should not have to be manhandled all the time, but guided instead. Otherwise, it would never get certified - civil or military!

Good luck

Well they're both the same price, both have twist grip for rudder, and both have a POV hat, but I think I'd go for the Cyborg because the throttle lever is bigger and would give better precision movement.

By comparison the Logitech throttle lever is just a stubby little thing.

On the other hand you get 12 buttons on the Logitech but only 5 on the Cyborg, but I'd personally still plump for the Cyborg because I never use joystick buttons anyway and I use the keyboard instead.

Logitech 3d owner here. I have had mines for nearly 8 years or so. Its buttons are a bit knackered from over-usage but its still a good stick.

The throttle might be smallish, but its easy to use with your thumb while your hand rests on the lower buttons. And because its a tumbler arrangement its pretty accurate for a cheap stick.

Grip wise, its excellent and I have yet to find another stick that "feels" as good. And the buttons it has are for me absolutely required. I use the top buttons for flaps/trim and the lower buttons for wheels/airbrakes etc.

Very nice stick overall for its price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Me again -

The reason the Logitech feels good is that it is modeled after a REAL military spec for tactical aircraft! For instance, at least until recently, airplanes like the A-4, A-6, A-7, F-4 all had the same grip, and it is nearly identical to the Logitech. I have flown all of these aircraft in real life.

The real one does not have the two rocker switches next to the pan button (the hat switch was actually for elevator and aileron trim). The trigger was for guns, rockets and missiles (set up by the ordnance selector panel), the side button was not there; instead, a red push button near the top was for bomb release.

Hi All,

My 2 cents...

I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS X, which is close in price to your other choices, maybe 10 dollars or so more. Decent amount of programmable buttons (12), a much larger throttle handle, the ability to either twist the stick for the rudder, or use the paddles located under the throttle for rudder movement. And you have the option to separate the throttle from the stick.

I've used it since 2012 and never had a problem - been dropped many, many times... ;)

Just another option to think about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXYMFS?keywords=thrustmaster%20hotas%20x&qid=1444237174&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Thrustmaster 1.jpgThrustmaster 2.jpg

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Do any of the sticks in this thread have a "ratchet" throttle lever action which click-click-clicks at each notch as you push/pull it?

I'm thinking of buying a ratchet stick like that because I've been using a Saitek Cyborg for 10 years but the throttle is a silent "smooth action" type which sends me nuts.

which sends me nuts.

Nuts are healthy for you in small quantities! So you're looking for something that maybe has detentes at certain positions? I wonder if the Satek (probably speled rong) throttle assys have ratcheting throttle levers?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The thrustmaster looks very cool. Apparently looks like bestbuy has it and cheaper too :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-x-flight-stick-for-playstation-3-and-windows/3326185.p?id=1218395105697&skuId=3326185

One of the reviews said it doesn't work with windows 8 but all the rest is good, I'm guessing E-Buzz have windows 7? Mine is win7 home premium.

ScatterbrainKid: The Thrustmaster, while doesn't have a ratcheting throttle, does have a single detent at the halfway point.

ital: I have the Thrustmaster working under Win 8.1. Under Win 7, it worked flawless! :D My advice is to stay with Win 7 as long as possible for FSX.

There seem to be known FSX issues with joysticks in general with Win 8 and Win 8.1. The most common, and the one that I experience on occasion, is the dreaded "Joystick Disconnect."

I've searched and tried every possible "fix" I could find, but no joy (pun intended ;) ).

What happens to me is, if I inadvertently click the mouse on the desktop while flying in windowed mode (I use 3 screens and exclusively fly in windowed mode and use a program called "Windowed Borderless Gaming" to get rid of the, well, window borders...) and instead of clicking on one of the 2D instruments on one of the other screens, (Autopilot, ATC window, etc.), FSX doesn't respond to joystick input at all.

I can sometimes get it to work by using alt+enter to switch between windowed mode and full-screen, but it doesn't work all the time. The only fix for me at that point is to restart FSX. :mad:

This can be very frustrating if this occurs near the end of a long flight and you're coming in for a landing...

If you only fly in full-screen, or you're VERY VERY CAREFUL not to click on the desktop while in windowed mode, you might not have this problem in Win 8.

Other than that, the stick works perfect for me under Win 8.1.

As stated previously - stick with Win 7 for FSX for as long as possible. At least until all the kinks with FSX have been worked out under Win 10.

I also have the Logitech, and it too is a good joystick. I just went with the Thrustmaster because I wanted a more realistic throttle handle, and I'm not a big fan of the twist grip to actuate the rudders. I know the better thing to have would be actual rudder pedals, but that'll be a purchase for the future.

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

oh lol 3 screens, nice setup captain.

Good to hear it runs well under win7. I have no intentions changing my windows, I'm happy with it, everything is doing fine. I use FS9 because of my addons and yes this joystick looks great because of the throttle control. I hope it can be very useful for racing games as well which the joystick's movements can be a good handle for the driving in GTR2. Thanks.

Logitech works fine for my Windows 10 / FSX Steam setup.

real life airplanes really don't have throttle detents except for example, idle/reverse/fuel cutoff, (military) and afterburner (in stages if equipped).

I use my thumb on the paddle of the Logitech, make small, smooth changes on approaches, absorbing how airspeed changes with throttle motion. You can fine tune power at cruise using F2 and F3 if you need to.

Logitech works fine for my Windows 10 / FSX Steam setup.

real life airplanes really don't have throttle detents except for example, idle/reverse/fuel cutoff, (military) and afterburner (in stages if equipped).

I use my thumb on the paddle of the Logitech, make small, smooth changes on approaches, absorbing how airspeed changes with throttle motion. You can fine tune power at cruise using F2 and F3 if you need to.

I like the Extreme 3D. It's the closest thing to a cyclic on a CH-46 I've found.

Now if they'd just come up with a realistic collective that actually has a separate throttle control, I'd be interested. And no throttle and collective are by no means the same thing.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I like the Extreme 3D. It's the closest thing to a cyclic on a CH-46 I've found.

Now if they'd just come up with a realistic collective that actually has a separate throttle control, I'd be interested. And no throttle and collective are by no means the same thing.

I was thinking about this the other day. I had the idea of using this old extreme 3d for it. Basically turn it 90 degrees and mount it. Then disable the left and right actuator. That just leaves the twist grip and the vertical axis actuator.

That's pretty much a decent collective right there methinks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was thinking about this the other day. I had the idea of using this old extreme 3d for it. Basically turn it 90 degrees and mount it. Then disable the left and right actuator. That just leaves the twist grip and the vertical axis actuator.

That's pretty much a decent collective right there methinks.

Just a thought... because the twist grip has a 'center' spot, wouldn't the Throttle axis be stuck at 50%, unless you hold the twist grip fully forward for Full Throttle, or full 'opposite' which decreases the Throttle?

You have a good idea, Capt.!

(Like I should talk... I'm currently using a Logitech Gamepad for FS! Surprisingly, it works pretty good & it also works for helo's, too!)

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Just a thought... because the twist grip has a 'center' spot, wouldn't the Throttle axis be stuck at 50%, unless you hold the twist grip fully forward for Full Throttle, or full 'opposite' which decreases the Throttle?

You have a good idea, Capt.!

(Like I should talk... I'm currently using a Logitech Gamepad for FS! Surprisingly, it works pretty good & it also works for helo's, too!)

As standard, yes it would be on the center point. But its a simple mod to add a spring that holds it at full left twist as the zero point. I had to change the twist on mines because it was floppy and lose. I added some covers to the spring ends to give it a more robust center point. Its still a wee bit wonky due to age but good to use never the less.

So basically you take out the standard "centered" spring and replace it with a normal spring and your good to go. At least in theory.

Of course it needs someone to actually go about making it. But I have seen plenty of Extreme 3d mods over the years so its entirely feasible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wasn't aware you could do that, Capt.! Like you said, in theory it should work fine!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived