FSX Sudden issue with graphics not displaying at all - please help

pred02

Hi,

I have been using FSX for a year now with loads of add ons and no issues. I flew my last flight yesterday with no problems, whereas today when I loaded FSX I experienced the following issues:

1.On the free flight screen at startup I cannot see the plane rotating - just empty sky

2. When I go to scenery config I see the list of all entries ticked off my they are just blank

3. Once I open the sim and start it I hear the plane and see a few graphics/items but the rest is either blank or flashing textures

I see the menus normally and also can change settings. Since yesterday when everything was working the only change I made was I installed a scenery (which I later de-installed but the issue persisted).

I also today tried:

1. Recreating the fsx.cfg file by erasing it

2. Changing the scenery settings

3. Updating the video driver

4. Changing the display settings in the sim

Nothing is working. I spent a lot of time building the sim and installing addons, do not want to start from scratch. Does anyone have any ideas?

Support is much appreciated.

By adding that scenery and then deleting it may have cause something to change. Maybe not a full re-install but a Repair may be necessary. The addons you have will not be affected by doing the Repair.

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.

You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder/subfolders before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they must be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

This advice was from fxsttcb, Flightsim.com Moderator.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi,

Many thanks all for your responses. I check the autogen folder as per the aircraft preview blog and all the files are on there.

I do not have enough hard drive space to do a full backup of the existing installation but will consider doing the repair this weekend.

What would I need to reinstall in this case?

Thanks

.................. the only change I made was I installed a scenery (which I later de-installed but the issue persisted).

RE this scenery - Did you install it using any installer or .exe file provided by the author or did you manually place the files. If an installer was used it could be that some files may have been placed in a location that you are unaware of or overwritten/replaced files of the same name. If an installer was used I suggest installing it to a temp folder and see where it has placed files

Regards

Brian

RE this scenery - Did you install it using any installer or .exe file provided by the author or did you manually place the files. If an installer was used it could be that some files may have been placed in a location that you are unaware of or overwritten/replaced files of the same name. If an installer was used I suggest installing it to a temp folder and see where it has placed files

This is a very good point! (also made in post#2) What exact scenery did you install/uninstall?

Also, with no backup of FSX, you will need to do the REPAIR option.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

By adding that scenery and then deleting it may have cause something to change. Maybe not a full re-install but a Repair may be necessary. The addons you have will not be affected by doing the Repair.

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.

You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder/subfolders before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they must be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

This advice was from fxsttcb, Flightsim.com Moderator.

I did the repair following instructions (removed Acceleration, repaired then reapplied). The issue persists - no difference after the repair.

A couple of other points:

- Scenery was Aerosoft Stuttgart - I had no issues previously with any Aerosoft scenery installs.

- I mentioned above but once in FSX I can see just textures flashing and nothing else. Sound and the rest of the sim work fine

- Once I quit FSX, I also get an 'Fatal Error - FSX must restart.

- It is interesting that I cannot see the scenery entries when going under the sceneries - except any of the newest ones where as in the scenery.cfg they are all listed.

- It is interesting that I cannot see the scenery entries when going under the sceneries - except any of the newest ones where as in the scenery.cfg they are all listed.............

Which scenery are we talking about here - all of your scenery or the Aerosoft scenery. By default Aerosoft scenery, be it a standalone item such as Stuttgart or scenery included in an aircraft product, does not install into the standard FSX addon scenery folder but goes directly into a root folder within FSX (ie C:\FSX\Aerosoft\). This folder will have all of the scenery and textures files as well as a copy of the manual and readme files. By default the Aerosoft install will also make a back up copy of the scenery.cfg file.

I suggest:-

1. Read the manual - it will tell you the name of the scenery.cfg back up file. It will also give details of any known issues and pointers on how to set your settings to get the best from the product - this may tell you why you are having the problems you have reported.

2. Follow the instructions included in the manual to ensure that you have deleted all of the product.

3. Rename the current FSX scenery.cfg something like scenery_dead.cfg and then OPTION 1 - rename the aerosoft backup file to the scenery.cfg OR OPTION 2 - let FSX build a new one

Hopefully, this will get you back flying.

Regards

Brian

Which scenery are we talking about here - all of your scenery or the Aerosoft scenery. By default Aerosoft scenery, be it a standalone item such as Stuttgart or scenery included in an aircraft product, does not install into the standard FSX addon scenery folder but goes directly into a root folder within FSX (ie C:\FSX\Aerosoft\). This folder will have all of the scenery and textures files as well as a copy of the manual and readme files. By default the Aerosoft install will also make a back up copy of the scenery.cfg file.

I suggest:-

1. Read the manual - it will tell you the name of the scenery.cfg back up file. It will also give details of any known issues and pointers on how to set your settings to get the best from the product - this may tell you why you are having the problems you have reported.

2. Follow the instructions included in the manual to ensure that you have deleted all of the product.

3. Rename the current FSX scenery.cfg something like scenery_dead.cfg and then OPTION 1 - rename the aerosoft backup file to the scenery.cfg OR OPTION 2 - let FSX build a new one

Hopefully, this will get you back flying.

Brian - you are a rockstar. It was the issue with scenery.cfg file being corrupted after the installation. I copied one of the old scenery.cfg files and everything was back where it should have been. I now see the airplanes and can fly normally.

The scenery listing is still a bit messy (i.e. a lot of scenery are invisible, but I think I am back on track now)

Hi,

Glad your back up and flying.

As you still have some problems with scenery listing I suggest that you let FSX create a new scenery.cfg file - simply rename the current working file to scenery_good.cfg and start FSX. As there is no valid scenery.cfg file FSX will build a new one. If it doesn't resolve the problem or creates other issues you can simply delete it and rename the scenery_good.cfg to get back to your current situation.

I also suggest you try the following scenery config utility as it will highlight problem areas and help remedy them......

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Its free and is a great utility - I have been using it for a number of years now and no longer use the FSX scenery settings area to add scenery any scenery that I have downloaded and it automatically recognises any payware installs. The link goes to the latest version - make sure that you click the correct download button, its the one located to the right of the star and downloads this week entries. There is a version available on this site but its several versions out of date but is still usable.

Regards

Brian

Archived