Weird Error Message...

Autolite

Good day y'all!

I'd like some help with a weird error I'm getting. I recently acquired a good used computer (OS Win XP Home 32) onto which I installed FS2004 and FSX. The flight sims are running fine but I can't seem to install any of my add-on aircraft. Each time I try to install an add-on aircraft, I keep getting this error message:

"The Installer File Is Damaged. Try Obtaining A New Installer File."

I get this same message over and over with each new aircraft I try to install. I've previously installed these same add-ons a few times before on other machines without ever having this problem. I suspect there is some sort of common glitch with this new machine. I'm thinking that it's unlikely all of my installation files have simultaneously become corrupted.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this error or how to fix it? I've never had or seen this problem before. I've done a Win XP Update, a virus scan, a disk clean and a couple of defrags. Nothing seemed to help.

Does anyone know what might be going on here???

Disable the anti-virus program you are using and try again.

Jim, you let me down on this one, I was expecting you to say "move on up to Windows 10 and leave XP in the boneyard." But I was pretty excited to see you really are willing to still support XP systems. Good job Jim !! If Microsoft ever wants to hire you, feel free to use me as a reference. :)

Disable the anti-virus program you are using and try again.

Thanks for your help. It's most appreciated!

Unfortunately though that suggestion didn't work. This computer had three anti virus applications on-board. I removed two of them and disabled the third. I'm still getting the "Installer File Damaged" error message when I try to add an aircraft.

This is too weird. Has anyone seen this problem before with Flt Sim add-on aircraft files???

Where are you seeing these installer files?

Is it in the individual aircraft folders and does it have a big, brown icon?

If so, these are not installers and you can ignore them. They are the .air files that contain the basic flight dynamics, not installers.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Where are you seeing these installer files?

Is it in the individual aircraft folders and does it have a big, brown icon?

If so, these are not installers and you can ignore them. They are the .air files that contain the basic flight dynamics, not installers.

peace,

the Bean

Indeed, they are .air files with big brown icons.

Anyhow the problem is solved. The error message was generated by the 'Adobe Air' application. I removed all the Adobe applications to start with but re-installed Adobe Reader only. I then installed 'WinZip 12' and used that application to install the aircraft add-ons.

The problem was that there were applications already on this computer that I am not at all familiar with. Usually when I build a computer, I do a clean install of the OS and then I install all the applications that I am familiar with. I didn't do that with this machine but rather I started working with the OS and the applications that had come with it.

I was getting an error message that I hadn't seen before because I was using applications that I was not familiar with.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions... :)

Indeed, they are .air files with big brown icons.

Anyhow the problem is solved. The error message was generated by the 'Adobe Air' application. I removed all the Adobe applications to start with but re-installed Adobe Reader only. I then installed 'WinZip 12' and used that application to install the aircraft add-ons.

The problem was that there were applications already on this computer that I am not at all familiar with. Usually when I build a computer, I do a clean install of the OS and then I install all the applications that I am familiar with. I didn't do that with this machine but rather I started working with the OS and the applications that had come with it.

I was getting an error message that I hadn't seen before because I was using applications that I was not familiar with.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions... :)

And make sure there are no existing associations left with .air files. Adobe Air has long been an issue as far as conflicting with flightsim .air files. Removing the application is the first step, then making sure there are no lingering associations is the 2nd step.

And use winzip cautiously for installing aircraft. It is always wise to use that just to unzip the zip file like to a temp folder, rather than just install directly using winzip. Unless you like more surprises. Most of the time you should be ok, but winzip is not a good installer. It doesn't care WHAT it is putting in where. That should be decided by you not winzip.

And use winzip cautiously for installing aircraft. It is always wise to use that just to unzip the zip file like to a temp folder, rather than just install directly using winzip. Unless you like more surprises. Most of the time you should be ok, but winzip is not a good installer. It doesn't care WHAT it is putting in where. That should be decided by you not winzip.

Yeah, I've used a temp file in the past for unzipping. I got lazy and did a direct install this time for just a couple of add-ons. It seems that WinZip will sometimes just throw the files anywhere but the 'Read Me' instructions that come with the add-ons call for WinZip. If there are any problems I should be able to fix them by going in with Windows Explorer shouldn't I?

Is there an application for installing the Flt Sim add-on files that you would recommend other than WinZip???

WinZip is not really an 'installer'. It is simply an application to compress files to a smaller size more suitable for posting on websites etc.

There are a number of utilities available to manage add-ons - searching on this site using the advanced search option and 'addon manager' will throw up a few. However, I believe that they all require you to unzip the contents of the zipped file into a temp folder first

Regards

Brian

You are double-clicking on the Brown .air file (which is NOT an Installer package) This is your .air file and it looks like this because of Adobe .air being installed on your computer.

installer.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

And make sure there are no existing associations left with .air files. Adobe Air has long been an issue as far as conflicting with flightsim .air files. Removing the application is the first step, then making sure there are no lingering associations is the 2nd step.

There is no conflict between Adobe Air and MSFS.

This only problem happens when you click on the "installer" and nothing happens.

MSFS does not care what app is associated with the .air file, it will still use them as expected.

You can remove Adobe Air if you like, it is not necessary in terms of MSFS.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

....... Adobe Air has long been an issue as far as conflicting with flightsim .air files. ...............

To further clarify RCChopper and MrZippy comments regarding Adobe AIR.......

Seeing as you have removed all Adobe products and then re-installed only Adobe Reader be aware that if you let the Reader app automatically update it will re-install AIR by default. Do manual updates and make sure that you deselect any additional add-ons suggested.

However, it is also worth noting that AIR is actually a development tool used in many apps, websites etc and, therefore, may be required by some apps on your pc. You will, obviously, get an error message if this is the case. You will then have to make a decision as to whether the app is required or not and install AIR if appropriate.

To clarify Chopper's comment, in normal day to day operation Adobe AIR will not affect the operation of FS, neither will having a FS .air file being associated with it (indicated by the file being brown as pointed out by Zippy). It is only if you wish to edit the .air file that you will have a problem. For this you will need to download an app called AirEd and, once installed, right click on the .air file and select Open With from the menu and then associate the file to AirEd.

Regards

Brian

WinZip is not really an 'installer'. It is simply an application to compress files to a smaller size more suitable for posting on websites etc.

There are a number of utilities available to manage add-ons - searching on this site using the advanced search option and 'addon manager' will throw up a few. However, I believe that they all require you to unzip the contents of the zipped file into a temp folder first

So what's the advantage of an add-on manager over WinZip? The add-on manager will ensure that the add-on files will automatically go into the correct FltSim folders???

So what's the advantage of an add-on manager over WinZip? The add-on manager will ensure that the add-on files will automatically go into the correct FltSim folders???

You don't use Winzip to install downloads into your FSX flightsim. There are programs that will do it but to be safe, I always advise to unzip, extract, or whatever magic you use, to your desktop and insert the appropriate folders/files into their respective places (Effects, Gauges, sounds, etc). I don't trust "Auto-installers" because of some of the stuff these uploaders put into their downloads. Trusted auto-installers would be things like ORBX or other payware items.

You don't use Winzip to install downloads into your FSX flightsim. There are programs that will do it but to be safe, I always advise to unzip, extract, or whatever magic you use, to your desktop and insert the appropriate folders/files into their respective places (Effects, Gauges, sounds, etc). I don't trust "Auto-installers" because of some of the stuff these uploaders put into their downloads. Trusted auto-installers would be things like ORBX or other payware items.

So what you're saying is that it would be best to either use a payware application or just unzip to a temp folder and place the files into their respective folders manually...right???

So what you're saying is that it would be best to either use a payware application or just unzip to a temp folder and place the files into their respective folders manually...right???

The payware installer only would come with a payware aircraft or scenery and could only be used with that purchase, no others. The 2nd suggestion of unzip to a temp folder and going from there is what I recommend.

The answer isn't that simple. Both WinZip (and other similar apps such as 7-zip and WinRAR) and, by default, most add-on managers can only place the folders to the locations set by the author of the package. What an addon manager often adds is the ability to select your own choices and often makes it easier to control and catalogue what you have installed.

As I have most of my addon scenery, traffic files and object files located outside of the FSX I never install any packages directly into FSX - the only items that get installed directly to FSX are payware using their inbuilt setup process. My personal preference is to unzip all packages to a temp folder, this allows me to check what folders/files have been provided. If the package includes an auto-installer or .exe file I will also point that to an temp folder. I will then manually move the files to the appropriate folder - in the case of scenery related items into my on addon scenery setup and Aircraft to the Simobject and other FSX folders as appropriate.

I actually don't use any addon manager but do use a scenery config tool (called SceneryConfigEditor) to simplify activation of the scenery in FSX

Regards

Brian

Archived