Outerra/Anteworld, can it be the best world rendering simulation engine thus far?

senpm

I'm delighted to see Prepar3D reaching V3, and I'm looking forward to the future development.

However, for some years I have been using Outerra (Anteworld) as a side simulator for just flying around, and I just want to show this to those who are not familiar with it. Compared to this, the old Microsoft-based engine used in Prepared and FSX just really shows its age. Have a look at this in-game footage:

screen_1430219859.jpg

Look at that tree-count.

What is Outerra? Well it's a project currently under development to procedurally render the whole world geographically.

It has no roads or cities, just forests and mountain ranges and clouds and seas and a dynamic Night/day cycle.

screen_1427504876.jpg

It looks beautiful, and it is silky smooth!

There are some guys developing aircraft for Outerra, and they get more and more detailed.

screen_1427505240.jpg

I just want everyone here to see what can be done as far as world rendering goes. This engine would be excellent as a basis for world rendering say in the next "FSX/P3D", just add roads, cities and airports. There is a sandbox mode already and people have started making some detailed sceneries. However what is planned its to import road vector data from openstreetmap to get roads and bulidings.

I was totally blown away with the experience of piloting the included MIG-29 in the mountains using an Oculus Rift.

It was amazing! Here is a similar video of what that was like.

I urge everyone to check out the demo at http://www.outerra.com/

Cool, but it still looks very dated to me compared to how even consumer computer graphics look today. It has lots of objects, but we still have the same old patchwork of aerial photographs and some (I admit, a lot of) 3d objects placed on them. It's a very old way of rendering graphics.

Have a look and compare GTA5 graphics for example. This is what is possible with modern technology. My dualcore rig at home runs this because most is rendered on the GPU. Mind you GTA5 is not a sim by any means, I'm just comparing graphics.

With streaming thechnology and a procedurally rendered world, graphics like this are very possible even in a sim if it is correctly made.

This video is a good example of what I think next gen flight sim should look like.

Now of course, outside world rendering is only one thing for a sim and the flying experience has many other factors that contribute to the feeling of immersion - But we really need to lift the sims to a new level - because modern GPU's and technology gives us the oportunity to. Maybe in afew years, we will have a beautiful "World Simulator" as a base for all kinds of simulations and games and virtual reality applications. Maybe a joint venture of different developers. Who knows, a guy can dream right? :)

Almost all available sceneries for Outerra originate with one person under the name "Acetone".

In the first video, you see his Alps scenery (Now with some road spikes due to changes in subsequent versions of Outerra but he is repairing them) And his Talkeetna Alaska area scenery. And obviously there are several planes converted from FSX, mostly from User Levi Cires.

Those things can be found on the forum, or at this site: http://www.outerramods.com/

They are in Outerras "OTX" format which means simply click on them and they will auto-install into Outerra. :pilot:

Archived