Correcting FSX stock scenery

oldfunflyer

All the FSX default scenery is only approximate, and the only remedy is to buy addon scenery.

I haven't got it, but MegasceneryEarth 2.0-Texas looks okay, you can either buy the whole state package for 50 dollars or just the area you want. Brownsville is in the Southeast Texas area for 20 dollars. You could buy just that one, then if you like it buy the other 2 areas.

It's photoreal scenery, meaning every bridge and everything is in its exact proper place, you'll even be able to see your own house.

But like all photoscenery, most buildings are flat 2D, but if you stay above about 1500 feet they give the illusion of being 3D.

Check it out here-

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=19744

I have Mega scenery Texas and it is a great product, But when they got to the border with Mexico they I guess stop work on it . I flew it from west of McAlen Tx. to the gulf along the Rio Grande River and what a mess they made of it. Maybe if they do Mexico they can clean up the border area.

oldfunflyer

This type of thing is pretty much why I bought Vector. Most of the highways, bridges,

waterways, etc are a good bit better than default. But I haven't actually checked

around Brownsville yet.. I'll do that in a little bit and see what it looks like..

Another thing about Vector is it's global, so the border shouldn't really matter to it.

I checked Brownsville a little last night. One problem is I don't really know that town,

and without looking at a map, I'm not sure where all the various bridges should be.

In the the city itself I saw a few of them, and most seemed to be where they should

be. One thing I did notice.. I guess the Rio Grande is a bit wider than most of the

city bridges that Orbx uses, so on some of the bridges across the wider sections

of river, they used two bridges end to end to cross the river. They are lined up

correctly, but do look a tad bit funny as they have a dip in the middle.

But I saw no bridges that were not crossing the river, or just laying out away from

the river. So not totally perfect, but likely a good bit better than default.

Thank you for the input. Question - Orbx has the Global and the Victor do I need them both?

Regards

Yep, you would, as vector uses some of the global textures as I recall.

Later on I could take snaps of default vs orbx so you could see if you think it is worth it.

I still have installs with the default scenery. Or if you had a problem area in Brownsville,

you could take a snapshot, and I could check the same location with the orbx stuff and

take a shot of it for comparison.

MBKHOU - Again Thank you for your reply. I'll admit I do not know how to take screen shots but will learn. It just bothers me that in Megascenery when you get away from the border things look so good (for photo scenery) then in and around Brownsville they have this transparent blue and mud color over so much of it. I sent a e-mail asking if they where going to do anything about it but have not received a reply.

Best Regards

I have Mega scenery Texas and it is a great product, But when they got to the border with Mexico they I guess stop work on it . I flew it from west of McAlen Tx. to the gulf along the Rio Grande River and what a mess they made of it. Maybe if they do Mexico they can clean up the border area.

Yeah it must look bad to have everything chopped off at the border; I'd write to the Megascenery people to complain if I were you, they've got your money!

MBKHOU - Again Thank you for your reply. I'll admit I do not know how to take screen shots but will learn. It just bothers me that in Megascenery when you get away from the border things look so good (for photo scenery) then in and around Brownsville they have this transparent blue and mud color over so much of it. I sent a e-mail asking if they where going to do anything about it but have not received a reply.

Best Regards

I compared the default scenery to the Orbx global/vector scenery, and there is

quite a large difference. The river is much different in the default scenery, and

seems much wider around Brownsville vs using the Orbx stuff. I didn't see any

real bridges in town, unless I missed them. Looked mostly like roads that just

crossed the river. Where as the orbx stuff did seem to place the bridges where

they should be. I compared with a map, and most seem to be there. Overall, the

water bodies and coastlines seem much more accurate with vector. IE: around

S. Padre Island seemed a little more accurate, and I think the global textures

looked better than default. The State highway 100 causeway is there on both,

but I think the bridge itself was a tad better with vector. Both default and vector

cover the ship channel, but default does not show many of the other small bodies

of water, which vector does. Also the golf course, which is just north of the border

in Brownsville is there with vector. Vector adds all golf courses according to real

world.

I made a short video flying over Brownsville in the Cessna so you can get an idea.

I was using real time, which gave the fall textures.. Which probably look a tad silly

in Brownsville for this time of the year, but that happens no matter which scenery,

as it's a FSX thing, and calls for fall textures after Sept 1 or whatever the date was.

Same deal in Houston.. Fall textures look silly here until about Dec 1... It's still quite

green here, and will be unless there is a freeze later on. I could have changed the

date to show spring or summer green textures, but didn't think of it..

I use FS Water Configurator to adjust the water colors. Orbx global water is quite

light in color, and I prefer darker. Some water areas still look a tad "blue-green"

with my settings, but they were a lot stronger and worse with default.

The video will take a while to upload and process. I'm going to stick it in this post,

but it will not be watchable for an hour or so.. Might take until say about 0100 GMT

or so.. "It's 2346 GMT right now"..

I made the video 1080p, but you will have to watch it on youtube to see it in HD

and full screen. I start on the west side of Brownsville heading due south, and then

turn east as I pass into Mexico, and make a couple of passes e-w, passing by the

various bridges. The golf course is just north of the river on the US side.

Anyway, I'm sure it's not perfect, and orbx autogen is random same as default, but

I do think it's a pretty good improvement overall. And the detail on the Mexican side

is the same as the US side. If the video is not done, it will say to check back later.

Like I say, it should be done by around 0100 GMT or so.. Right now, 31 min left to

upload, and will take some time to process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfMAsWDflA&feature=youtu.be

Archived