first few weeks of va living

goldhawk

I think my aversion to va's in the past was FSINN, well with acars / smartcars and another one I wish I knew from server side fscars. I am really starting to like virtual airlines. I have been active with two of them in the last week and I have found it to add a lot to the fsx experience.

I am sort of lost on one thing. The 250 kias speed limit under 10k feet. I guess in real life that is noise abatement.

Well whatever the reason I am having a harder time taking off the default 737-800 then landing it. I actually had one of my first landings in the 100 fpm range.

I would imagine most people would tell me to just follow the take off check list. I was hoping some one could give me a straight answer for someone that wants to use auto pilot / auto throttle for keeping the speed under 250 on take off.

The first thing I learned is that if you do try to take off with auto pilot on you do not want to ever have a vertical speed of 1800 fpm. Ok well I guess anyone could have figured that one out.

However, when I do cmd a, and speed only and do not arm any of the auto altitude hold buttons I find myself barreling down the run way and pulling on the stick with nothing happening. So of course then I have to quickly hit the z key so I can lift off in time from KJAX without ending up in the trees.

So if anyone wants to enlighten me that would be great. Otherwise I guess google / youtube are my friends.

I will say this about VA flying. It is breaking me of my bad habits like slewing the taxiing and using simulation rate to get some where fast.

Well like I said I would like to learn fscars. I would love to start a virtual airline if I could ever recruit. It seems like lots of folks are recruiting on this forum. At any rate I would just like to see what it would be like to have a VA that did allow slewing a taxi or using sim rate.

Other then that, my last comment. I have no intention of learning a PMDG plane any time soon. I am just as happy as I can be for now with default planes.

Ok back to my flight, everyone have a good night. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

The default 738 is not modeled well but to reduce the speed on takeoff and climb don't take off with full throttle. Take off with between 90 and 95% throttle. Real pilots don't take off with full throttle anyhow. Next the speed bug in the default B738 is faulty. It seems to be off by 10 or knots so set it to 220 or 230 when you do engage the auto throttle. Adjusting the climb speed to 2000-2500 will help too. This depends on the take-off weight. I`ve even seen real pilots use 3000ft/min too with a light load.

Hope it helps!

Some more advanced panels have a TO/GA function implemented which does effectively give an autothrottle function only, based on your FMC inputs. Even on default/default derived aircraft you can engage autothrottle only for takeoff if you so desire. The problem is, engines spool up very slowly in A/T mode so you either have to hold it on the brakes before starting the roll or only attempt it with a light load and very long runway. Also, as the A/T is "seeing" the target speed as 250kias it may well end up redlining your engines during the roll (had this yesterday evening using the method to take off from Grand Junction in a DelataVA 757).
Vern.

Archived