Getting Sharper Text in FSX?

Jadue

Hello-

I do my repaints with photoshop cc. Always turn off the mipmaps, etc. I have dxtbmp and also the nvidia plugin on my machine.

I am pleased with the overall sharpness of my repaints, and large text, such as "N" numbers, always looks great. I have noticed, though, that the small text that I use on my textures looks perfect in photoshop, but is not really that sharp when I zoom in on the plane in the sim. I have tried saving my text as a custom shape in photoshop and resizing, but that hasn't helped much.

I do see repaints where the small text on aircraft looks very sharp in the sim. I wonder if there are any tricks for achieving this result. Maybe saving the texture in a particular format? Maybe doing something special with the text in photoshop? Doing something on the model itself?

Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

The one aspect that painters have no control over is texture mapping resolution.

By that I mean "how many pixels cover a given space".

If your text covers 50 pixels in PS yet cover 5 feet of airplane it will not look as good as a plane where 50 pixels cover 2 feet of airplane.

In this case, there is nothing that can be done except use larger textures.

If the plane is using 1024 textures you might get better visuals (at the cost of worse performance) by using 2048 textures.

Also, 32 bit textures will look better than DXT compressed textures, again, at the possible cost of worse performance.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived