Prepar3D Version 3 release information

vgbaron

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty standard - if you bought P3D within 60 days, you can get a refund and purchased new version. Otherwise, just like the various iterations of MS Flight Simulator - you buy it again.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Whatever license you believe you qualify for is between you and LM.

Let's leave it at that so we can continue this thread.

Some people will see a value and others will not. Something to consider, LM stated that no further development will be done on Version 2.

I'd say there's more meat there than simply bug fixes. Many of the problems they've resolved were native to the MS code. The underlying code changes seem like simple lines in a changelog but a LOT more has been done than bug fixes.

Vic

Since it's a new version - I believe the 60 day trial starts again.

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Whatever license you believe you qualify for is between you and LM.

Let's leave it at that so we can continue this thread.

Some people will see a value and others will not. Something to consider, LM stated that no further development will be done on Version 2.

I'd say there's more meat there than simply bug fixes. Many of the problems they've resolved were native to the MS code. The underlying code changes seem like simple lines in a changelog but a LOT more has been done than bug fixes.

Vic

Since it's a new version - I believe the 60 day trial starts again.

First, not everyone has 50 dollars to just throw around.

Second, If these are bugs to the native MScode (which I do believe) why were they not fixed in the first place? Seems LM is not fixing everything they should have fixed from the start just to release these fix's as a new version. I don't trust large company's for good reason. I also have seen a trend in the software market over the last years where you get less and less for your money only to be strung along for the next version that is supposed to be fantastic. I will wait and see. If there is truly a performance increase (and I mean a big one) then I will think about a purchase. If not I will stay with what I have.

Much the same as upgrading from Office 2013 to 2016, or whatever.

So, how do you expect to get it for free? It IS an incremental version after all, & not an upgrade as v2.5 was!

No-one is holding a gun to anyone's head.

If you think it is of value, buy it. It IS a commercial product & not a game after all!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

L-M is in charge of the nomenclature. They can increment versions or change version numbers entirely as they see fit. Our choice as academics or professionals is to buy, or not to buy. That's it.

After that the best choice is 'don't rush in on Day One'. If the benefits are there, the cost is a moot point and not worthy of discussion. You won't change L-M minds and you will only trip over forum rules on license debate.

What this does do is make the obligations for seeking assistance in these and other forums even more important.

Vic, I'd suggest a sticky topic that after tomorrow any forum request in the P3D forum that doens't contain version info be locked without further discussion.

This ups the ante on the professionaism of the user to the next level. Early adopters had better be up to the task, or simply stay with what you got.

Personally, I'm going to wait until we have verified, repeated confirmation that the addons I regard as important can be used with v3 easily and with direct support from the developers. Until that happens I ain't paying to be anyones' guinea pig.

If these are bugs to the native MScode (which I do believe) why were they not fixed in the first place? Seems LM is not fixing everything they should have fixed from the start just to release these fix's as a new version. I also have seen a trend in the software market over the last years where you get less and less for your money only to be strung along for the next version that is supposed to be fantastic.

You are 100% right .

I also believe so .

Besides , I'm still waiting for the 64-bit version .

Alfons

Vic, I'd suggest a sticky topic that after tomorrow any forum request in the P3D forum that doens't contain version info be locked without further discussion.

This ups the ante on the professionaism of the user to the next level. Early adopters had better be up to the task, or simply stay with what you got.

Not sure I get your gist Mark. That's like locking a thread because someone doesn't list their specs. Or have I misunderstood?

There are significant changes - for some they will be enough - others will complain that they are just bug fixes.

ANY release after the initial release of a product is nothing but bug fixes, interspersed with some new content. Some will still say this should have been V2.6 rather than 3.0.

Vic

P3D Rig

Because Vic, for any given question about support for Prepar3d, as of tomorrow we could be talking about v1.4, v2.x in several different `flavours` and now v3. Bad enough to have to persistently remind punters that the OS and hardware is required, but it's a proper multi-whammy with all the sim options now available.

i believe the community owes it to those who volunteer time and effort, skill and expertise to couch their questions based not only on the OS platform on which the sim is predicated, but also the version of the sim platform. Perhaps we even need a separate forum for v3?

The reason for this is obvious: L-M still only officially recognise Win 7 in 32-bit and 64-bit as the minimum standard for OS support and their comments on Win 10 reflect our opinion, previously expressed:

Is Prepar3D v3 Compatible with Windows 10?

Yes, Prepar3D v3 is compatible with Windows 10. However not all hardware drivers have been updated for Windows 10 so it is important to check with the manufacturer of your hardware when upgrading to Windows 10.

On that basis I don't think we should waste our time with anyone using P3D on Win 10 and especially on anyone dumb enough to install P3D v3 on an unsuitable OS, then use addons not cleared for it, then ask for assistance to clean up their own self-imposed mess.

Conversely, the intelligent simmer (and there should be no other type for this product) should be able to present findings, fixes and solutions without fear of having their wisdom drowned in a sea of dross.

That's why.

Does anyone remember the song from Monty Python "Always look on the bright side of life"?

I'm thinking of a parody I'll title "Always look on the dark side of life" :p

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Mark - I and any other moderator share your concern but if we locked down every post that didn't conform to specific guidelines, we'd have no forum at all.

We have users of varying expertise, from computer bonehead to IT guru.

I expect we'll have to now ask the posters which version of P3D they are talking about as well as which OS and what hardware.

So, what else is new? LOL - it comes with the territory. I wish I had a dollar for every post that could have been answered by a simple Google search.

If it becomes an issue, I expect we can expand to a v3 dedicated forum but let's see how it goes.

Vic

P3D Rig

Vic, have you looked lately?

The forum is practically comatose as it stands. Applying some simple rules at this stage is hardly going to result in no forum at all and may just provide a welcoming home for the simmer who actually wants an intelligent forum for intelligent discussion - again, look at the activity over the past few weeks and months, hardly an active community, is it?

One of the reasons is that precious few are actually answering questions. `We` aren't asking posters anything. `We` should expect posters to proffer the information up front, with no need to ask, given the increasing variety of options the sim now presents. It's the polite, decent and courteous way to go about seeking voluntary help. It might actually persuade a number of experts to return and provide assistance. Besides, who is the `we`? You seem to be increasingly busy in your new moderator role `over there` and I don't know how you find the time to be in two places at once.

Mark - My online activities do keep me busy but that's just fine with me.

As to this forum - I would, of course, like to see it grow and I feel it will, but that will come from the users wanting to participate in a friendly environment. Jumping on them for omitting details related to their questions is counter productive.

Making someone feel that they asked a stupid question or asked the question stupidly is not the way to win friends and influence people.

I've seen several situations where a few people here have been unnecessarily "edgy" in response to new posters. IMHO, a little more tolerance of newbies goes a long way as does "nicely" pointing out their errors.

Vic

P3D Rig

Mark, I'm with Vic. Also, note that a lot of new folks don't really understand what information is needed to give them a proper answer. So if you essentially kicked them out because they didn't know much (which is why they're asking anyway), then you don't leave much purpose for the forum.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Lots of folks commenting over on Facebook about downloading V3 and some having no problems and others having the usual initial download issues....I learned that you don't have to delete 2.5 to have V3 on your system which sounds good to me...but I am sticking with FSX and V2.5 for the time being as they work fine for me...

Remember, since this is a new install, you get the 60 day refund policy. Since you can have both installed at the same time, it's easy to compare.

It's about a 10g download - took about an hour for me and the install took less than 5 minutes - no issues. I installed ASN and FSUIPC for now.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived