Using 2 USB yokes

ednixon

I'm searching for any reason I might expect a problem switching between 2 yokes on one computer running FSX - pilot and copilot positions. Simply connecting the two together in a Y configuration doesn't work, so my plan is to connect them both but switch the 5 Volt source. The simplest suggestion I've found is to connect the GND, D+ and D- together from the two yokes, and switch the +5V line from one device to the other. Is there any known problems doing this?

I did it for years with 2 PS2 keyboards and never had a problem but not sure about USB.

I would be using 2 identical yoke units, either CH or Saitek but not one of each.

USB devices have a lot more logic on board, they are recognized by Windows by their individual ID and they are running a serial protocol over the wires. You can't just cut into it, this is not the same as PS/2 anymore, where just switching over the electrical current was enough.

Even if what you suggest works, it would result in Windows disconnecting one yoke (plungplunk) and reconnecting the other (pongplink). Yes, Windows knows that these are different devices, even if they are the same make and model. This may or may not work with the sim (I think it doesn't).

I'd suggest either connecting both and to configure them in FSUIPC so they both work, or to try a simple USB switch.

Thanks for that. Certainly makes sense.

So what I see happening (according to your reply) is Windows sees the (effective) disconnect of one USB device and the new connection of another. So what if I were to leave that one original USB control chip connected to the USB port and switch the pots on the other side of it? I'm experimenting with that idea now.

Archived