Autogen Configuration Editor not loading "autogendescription.xlm"

snoripper

Hi, I am new to autogen and scenery creation. I want to add some autogen to some photo real scenery in Utah. I have FSX deluxe and have installed the SDK program from the FSX cd. I then updated SDK with SP1A and then SP2. I added the 'default.xml" file to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK/SDK/Environment Kit/Autogen SDK folder. When I run Autogen Configuration Editor and try and open "autogendescriptions.xml" the program will get stuck and will not load the file, or any other .xlm file in the Autogen Source xml folder.

Anyone have a solution for this issue? I could not find anything on google about this issue after looking for a few days for some solution.:confused:

Thanks

Hi, I am new to autogen and scenery creation. I want to add some autogen to some photo real scenery in Utah.

It's probably off topic and getting around your problem, but still: do you actually NEED the AG Config Editor for that purpose ? I never got further than using the Annotator.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Lol, wasn't aware that one of the several windows opening with the annotator is actually that Config Editor. Only thing I can say is that with me it works.

Do I read somewhere that you have MOVED the SDK rather than uninstalling and reinstalling it to the N: drive ? Maybe I'll post in the fsdeveloper thread as well, I'd place my bets on that thread if I was you.

Wim

Lol, wasn't aware that one of the several windows opening with the annotator is actually that Config Editor. Only thing I can say is that with me it works.

Do I read somewhere that you have MOVED the SDK rather than uninstalling and reinstalling it to the N: drive ? Maybe I'll post in the fsdeveloper thread as well, I'd place my bets on that thread if I was you.

Wim

That is where I posted first. If you are interested in trying to help figure out what is going on then please read the post I linked in this thread first. That will tell you all of the steps I have done already. But I did not just move the folder. It was installed with admin permissions on the N: Drive....but I have done a lot of troubleshooting with the gentlemen on FSDeveloper.com and none of the standard fixes have worked and no-one seems to have had this issue before. I have spent a lot of time on the FSDeveloper site and have followed there instructions. It just will not work :(

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried and it opens.

What I did:

-Did not run "ConfigSDK.exe". (I had no idea what it would do, so I held off on that.)

-Copied "default.xml" from the fsx folder to the sdk folder per your own instructions. (as confirmed correct by Jim Robinson)

-Ran "annotator.exe"

-One of the windows that opened was "Autogen Configuration Editor".

-iIn that window clicked "file---open Browsed to the folder:

C:\FSMain\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\Autogen source xml

and opened file: "AutogenDescriptions_Mid.xml".

This opened, a pane opened with

+groupings

+Regionalisations

When I clicked the plus in front of Regionalisations I saw some region list of regions.

I dragged the pane aside, and below it was a list of objects, e.g. "BRD_1LanePylonConcrete1" "BRD_1LanePylonConcrete2" etc.

(btw, when i opened the annotator.exe a second time I opened "AutogenDescriptions.xml". A list showed up and I quickly saw something flash that said "Index being built".

On closer inspection a list dsplayed in a pane, that seems to have all the default buildings. It has the option "Set GUID".

Now each time I open the Annotator that list is there, covering the main Annotator pane. I have no idea how to get rid of it again.

Looking back it would have been better to run "ConfigSDK.exe" I guess, but at the time I planned to only open the program once. I even got a "Do you want to save changes?" message once, weird, because I had no idea I changed anyting. Of course I did not save. )

Anyway, I can report it "works" (silly saying that as I don't even know what it does, lol.

I mean it opens the files&starts up fine.

I realise that's probably not much help to you. I saw you reinstalled FSX and the SDK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's the 2nd time you reply like that. I DID read that post btw, where else would I have invented that N: drive ?

And if even people like Jim Robinson get stuck, I'm thinking "who am I to find an answer to this ?..."

[EDIT]Last link doesn't work btw, but 1st one still does...

Wim

f16jockey_2 and il88pp, sorry for being short with you. I have spent three weeks trying to get this tool to work with no luck and no one else seems to have run into this issue....so I was Very frustrated by the time I replied to your posts. Telling me that you got it to work did nothing to help and just kinda pissed me off. Lots of people get it to work, just look at all the great scenery that people have created. So I apologize for offending you guys.

Archived