FRUSTRATING FS2004 Crashes

Rcflyyer1

Hi everyone.

Recently my FS2004 has started crashing more than ever. It doesn't matter where I'm flying, I get the "Flight Simulator 9.0 has stopped working" and there is no drop-down window explaining the problem. This usually happens 20-50 minutes after loading and happens more often when cruising in overcast conditions.

I have REX installed with the cloud resolution at 512x512 and fly the POSKY 747-400 V4 most of the time when the crashes happen, but I still crash in other aircraft as well. REX is set to update every 60 nm. I have no idea why this is happening and I can't seem to find an error log. I've crashed when sitting in the 2D panel view, I've crashed looking out the window, and I've crashed looking at AI aircraft.

I don't have the 9.1 update installed and I recently discarded my fs9.cfg and started from scratch. Still crashes at that 20-50 min mark. On my laptop, I use a cooling pad and the CPU temp averages around 55C. I crash most often when I change to the wing view or when crossing over country borders. I run FS9 in compatibility mode for XP SP3 and my hard drive is defragged automatically.

System specs:

CPU: A6-3400M with Radeon Grahpics 1.4 Ghz

RAM: 6GB

ST: Windows 7 64 Bit Operating System

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6520G

HD: 581 GB

Surprisingly with these specs, I am able to manage good fps at around 30 most of the time. Not sure if my hardware is out of date here, but it leaves me satisfied. If only I didn't get these really frustrating random crashes. Also, the screen goes black leaving only the cursor before it crashes. I also removed that recent windows update that didn't let any of us open our sims thanks to the great knowledge here :D.

I really hope someone out there has a solution for this as it's really annoying to just have everything shut down on me. Re-installing FS9 would be a very tedious task, but I would do it if it's the only way to stop this.

Thanks,

Adam

The first thing to do is install the 9.1 update.

Among other things, it fixes some random crashes.

If you still have the random crashes it is time to start lowering your settings, you might be overtaxing your PC.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

It could be a heat issue, especially with a laptop; check all fans and vent slots (utilities like CoreTemp and GPU-Z can help). Also check the windows error logs, there may be a clue there. Try running fs9 without any accessories (REX, ActiveSky, etc.) and see if it is more stable. Going to a black screen before the crash leads me to suspect vid card or vid driver issues.

The first thing to do is install the 9.1 update.

Among other things, it fixes some random crashes.

If you still have the random crashes it is time to start lowering your settings, you might be overtaxing your PC.

peace,

the Bean

Thank you for the advice! I have installed the 9.1 update and discovered a bad registry path for the fs9.exe which was fixed with tweek. I will fly around for an hour and see if it crashes or not.

It could be a heat issue, especially with a laptop; check all fans and vent slots (utilities like CoreTemp and GPU-Z can help). Also check the windows error logs, there may be a clue there. Try running fs9 without any accessories (REX, ActiveSky, etc.) and see if it is more stable. Going to a black screen before the crash leads me to suspect vid card or vid driver issues.

Thanks! I will try CoreTemp to see if anything overheats. I do have one of those pads that suck air away from the bottom of the laptop which I've seen a lot of problems with online.

I did try to update my graphics card driver and got a BSOD in the process. After it rebooted I couldn't get anything to work, so I went to the amd website and did the autodetect install which has seemed to fix the problems.

Are there any other outdated drivers that can cause crashes?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

To determine if you need the Microsoft® Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (UPDATE):

1. Run Flight Simulator 2004.

2. Click Fly Now!

3. Press ALT to display the menu bar.

4. Click About Microsoft Flight Simulator on the Help menu.

5. Check the version number in the About Microsoft Flight Simulator dialog box. If the version number is 9.0 we recommend installing the update.

After updating, the version number for Flight Simulator 2004 will be 9.1.

Turns out I already have it.

The date of the 9.1 update was 10/6/04. I bought my copy of FS in 2005 if I remember right.

Archived