All suggestions so far fail to start FS9

michaeljulian

On starting my computer one morning I found an extensive Microsoft update - I think to the registry as has happened many times before. BUT since then FS9 will not start on my Windows7 Dell 64 bit desktop. I have tried every suggestion on the Microsoft site and on this site but zero effect. I have uninstalled from the 1st disk three times with no effect. I have renamed the FS9.cfg file as suggested but the new install changes nothing. The Flight Simulator Files are all I place. There is just one clue that someone might help me with. I checked via Explorer if there were any files still in read only form from FS9 - and there were. Is is time now to go fishing for any possible FS9 file and delete it and then re-install?

Some suggestions which you may, or may not, have tried already:

Do a system restore to a point before the Windows updates you refer to and see if this resolves your problem.

Manually uninstall FS2004 using this link to make sure you remove everything including the Registry entries:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/888846

Reinstall FS2004 to a folder outside of the Program Files folder - for example, install to C:\FS9.

Use the no CD crack file. Make sure you get the right one as there are two available - one for basic FS9.exe and one for the patch to Version 9.1 which is also FS9.exe Do a Google for "no cd crack fs2004" and you will get what you need. Sorry I can't give you a specific link to get the crack but the rules of this website have yet to be patched to allow me to do this.

Hope this helps you.

Dijvid

And another thing I forgot to mention ....

Copy your four FS2004 CDs to a hard drive just in case one of them goes south. You won't always be able to buy another copy of our beloved sim. You can install the sim from the hard drive copies and it's a lot quicker to do it this way. This, plus getting the no CD crack, are two of the best things I have ever done with FS2004.

Dijvid

Michael,

The thread in the link is quite large (I know this because I contributed to it, includng providing the details on how to delete the offending MS update that causes the problem) and whilst reading through it will give you the info you need I suggest looking at posts #9 and #18 first to get back up and simming quickly and then read through the whole post to get some other info that may be of interest to you including posts #44 and #46 regarding the no-cd crack

Regards

Brian

For those that may not know, on the top of this post is a bar with a time stamp and, on the right, a post number.

That post number is actually a link to that post.

You can right click on the post number and "Copy link location" (in Firefox, other browsers might word it differently). You can then paste that link in your post and readers will be directed to the post you want, not just the beginning of the thread.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

A 'full backup' (ie: COPY) of a 'FS9' installation is NOT the same thing as having a copy of the vanilla CD's files ONLY. You have to be able to run the INSTALLATION exe for the FS9 to be a 'vanilla' and 'stable' installaiton. And you can only do that from the CD's (or a copy of the CD's). Makes a dfference? A LOT of difference.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I think the OP is referring to my suggestion to copy each CD to a hard drive and then install the sim from the hard drive. I don't know of any way to "backup" an already installed FS9.

Dijvid

Been doing it for years. You create and save "images" using software such as Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, EaseUS Todo Backup (freeware), etc. This technique has saved my rear many, many times. It also allows you to reload entire system should it become infected by malware/viruses. I really don't know how anyone survives in this day and age of digital foolery without doing this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived