This is a warning to all fs2004 users who run this program on microsoft windows 7!!!!

Guest Trainx3

WARNING!!!! if you have windows 7 and use Microsoft flight simulator 2004 and received a official Microsoft system update that's labeled: KB3086255, REMOVE IT AT ONCE, I REPEAT REMOVE IT AT ONCE!!!!! According to the Historic Jetliners Group, this update has been found to completely murder the operating software of fs2004, preventing all operations of fs2004 permanently. To prevent any long term damage, go to your automatic updates control section and completely disable automatic updates, if the update is already installed on your computer, then go to your programs and features control panel and click on the "List of installed updates" button and look for the update labeled: KB3086255 and either delete it or uninstall it immediately.

Trainx3

Links to HJG proboards forum that discuss this problem.

http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/thread/7743/oh

http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/thread/7741/windows-update-today-start-anymore

Interesting...could it be that Microsoft is deliberately trying to force people to replace their FS2004 with FSX? Those sneaky pesky "KB update files"; frequently up to no good...flaws disguised as fixes.[emoji49] [emoji83] [emoji84]

Sent from my Samsung GT-I8262 using Tapatalk.

This problem has been known about for days now......................see this thread (https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!) which is just one of a number such threads on this site.

But hey, why spend a minute using a provided search tool when you can simply open yet another thread and spend a few minutes typing a entry........................

IMHO the statement made by the OP is a bit over dramatic - the KB will not 'murder' the FS, or indeed the OS, software - it doesn't touch any of the installed FS files - it simply removes DRM support from the OS by making a registry change. The KB was also released for W8 as well. Disabling WU is an overkill, it could leave your rig vulnerable to security risks - see posts #9 and #18 by me in the linked thread for a more balanced way of using WU. Also see posts #44 and 46 for a workaround if you wish to leave the offending KB installed.

A +1 to the comment by ftldave - Why would MS be trying to force FS2004 users onto FSX - it no longer supports either sim. The probable real reason as to why they issued the KB is that W10 ships without DRM support due to MS stating it possesses a known security risk (true - its a risk that has been know about for at least 5+ years). The real question question that should be asked is why has MS chosen to close this know risk down now and not years ago.....................

Regards

Brian

Perhaps MS figured the number of users that would be impacted has dropped low enough, and for most games there are alternatives through the likes of GOG etc. Note that this DRM originated from a third party who dropped support for it a while ago. And Windows 10 does still support DRM, just not this particular one anymore.

The reason why it hasn't affected you is because FSX doesn't require what is called Digital Rights Management (DRM) validation against a CD disk each time you run the sim - FS2004 does. Simply put, the KB changes how the OS handles DRM, effectively switching off support for a specific type of DRM. It not only affects FS2004 but a shedload of other games

Regards

Brian

The reason why it hasn't affected you is because FSX doesn't require what is called Digital Rights Management (DRM) validation against a CD disk each time you run the sim - FS2004 does. Simply put, the KB changes how the OS handles DRM, effectively switching off support for a specific type of DRM. It not only affects FS2004 but a shedload of other games

DRM

Thanks Brian.

In all these posts about cd4/crack files etc I've been wondering what exactly DRM was.

I could have googled ....But didn't ,don't know why I didn't ...I just plain did not. No Sir!

My life is now complete.

Thanks for the explanation.

My PC is a DRM free box.

I think!

If I've understood you correctly. :-)

Andy

DRM

Thanks Brian.

In all these posts about cd4/crack files etc I've been wondering what exactly DRM was.

I could have googled ....But didn't ,don't know why I didn't ...I just plain did not. No Sir!

My life is now complete.

Thanks for the explanation.

My PC is a DRM free box.

I think!

If I've understood you correctly. :-)

Andy

DRM is all about content owners protecting their IP rights. Virtually all commercial DVDs and blu-ray movies are protected by DRM, as well as most computer games and Windows itself (so I doubt your box is DRM free). Most, if not all, Western countries have laws that basically make it illegal to circumvent DRM (hence the long time ban on talking about cracked files here). In the US it's covered by the DMCA.

As far as computers go, you would need to switch to a Linux system running Flightgear to not have any DRM. Even then you may still run across applications that require DRM in some form.

DRM is all about content owners protecting their IP rights. Virtually all commercial DVDs and blu-ray movies are protected by DRM, as well as most computer games and Windows itself (so I doubt your box is DRM free). Most, if not all, Western countries have laws that basically make it illegal to circumvent DRM (hence the long time ban on talking about cracked files here). In the US it's covered by the DMCA.

As far as computers go, you would need to switch to a Linux system running Flightgear to not have any DRM. Even then you may still run across applications that require DRM in some form.

OK Loki

More enlightenment on the subject.

DRM seems fair enough then ;but surely in the case of dear old fs9 couldn't MS simply let users get access to the old grandad of sims without the worry of legal infringement issues.(would also help FlightSim sites as well who also have to consider the legal implications of possible crack file posts)

I think it would be a fair trade ,I've spent a lot on sims and one in particular that was a flawed product and probably should not have been released as a finished and functioning simulator.

MS still got my hard earned money though.

So MS ease up on FS9 users.

And we could call it quits in the case of the no CD thing.

(Sounds like a Sherlock Holmes story title)

Andy

............but surely in the case of dear old fs9 couldn't MS simply let users get access to the old grandad of sims without the worry of legal infringement issues............................Andy

Unfortunately Andy, this will never happen. MS no longer actively supports FS2004 and FSX (along with a large number of games they marketed under the Games for Windows (GFW) and Games for Windows - Live (GFWL) banners). They have made (and still do) enough money to cover the cost of developing the games and simply have stuck two fingers up at the sim/gaming communities. Will Ms do the decent thing and issue a recall of all unsold copies of FS2004/FSX/GFW/GFWL that are still available? Unlikely, based on previous experience

Regards

Brian

Archived