4K Graphics

kcbubbapat

Yep. Mine handles 3840x2160 at 30 fps on my new samsung 4k monitor through an ATI R9 380 on normal clocking (not overclocked). It looks stunning! I have FSX:SE (which now has many improvements and optimisations from FSX gold) running on DX10 with Steves DX10 fixer and SweetFX2, which doesn't crash and looks absolutely beautiful.

I do have the Intel 4790K running stable at 4.6ghz, which is the main reason for the smootheness I reckon. And I have done 3 hour flights and up to 6 hours messing about in the sim without any crashes to desktop.

The good news is you can turn your AA down at those resolutions, so it even holds 30 frames per second in clouds! 8xAA is gone! I now use 2xAA or 4xAA for screen shots.

Mine is only a single 28 inch screen though - I can't afford 3 screens!

Honestly, with FSX:SE, the DX10 fixer, and all the new stuff coming out again, FSX is back with a bang - never been happier!

Just a few extra tips, and this really does work, do not use an external frame rate limiter! set vsync externally (we use 30 or 60 hz in the UK) and set the internal limiter to 30 - you will be silky smooth I swear. I found it was the combination of using the internal limiter and an external one which made mine 'surge' or stutter, probably as the frame rate limiters struggled to stay in sync! Seriously - try it!

And also, for all the 4k beauty, I have mine running at: -

[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon ™ R9 390 Series.0.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

TriLinear=0

AntiAlias=1

It runs even smoother at this setting without any noticeable loss of detail, as the Samsung monitor does loads of work and up-scales the image to 4K anyway! Seriously, you can read the small text on the altimeter at 40% zoom inside the cockpit! The image overwhelms your eyes! I must admit, I have spent a few weeks on the forums and tweaking, but I never thought FSX would get this good. I have started up again after not touching it since 2008 as it was a buggy slideshow then.

FSX:SE and the DX10 tweaks have given it a new life without a doubt.

I don't like steam, but for me, all the negativity has been unfounded, it has been no trouble at all.

Archived