FSX Steam Edition What is that?

ptr1959w

Essentially, Microsoft got tired of the Flight Simulator series and sold the rights to sell it to Steam, an internet based software/games vendor.

They took, changed the FSX.cfg file a little and are now selling a Downloadable version of FSX, called FSX-SE (Flight SImulator X -Steam Edition). It's basically FSX with all the SP's, Acceleration, and so on, included.

They normally sell it for $25.00, but sometimes they put it up on sale for $5.00. If you want to buy a "new" flight sim, you are out of luck, SE isn't really "new" per se, but heck, it's a lot cheaper that you'll normally find FSX Box edition for.

To my mind, the biggest problem with it is that Steam tends to "bury" it deeper in their directory structure than FSX is normally placed by most users, so most auto-installers, unless written with SE in mind, have trouble finding it. I don't trust auto-installers anyway, so no trouble for me, but a lot of folks just let them work as they will. I direct any auto-installer to an empty Temp folder I create, then install things manually. Works great for me.

Another problem many have is that, for at lest the first time you run the sim, you have to be on-line, and logged into Steam. They do provide an Off-Line mode however, so that point is pretty much moot.

I got FSX-SE when it was first offered, as it was $5.00 at the time, and I am a cheap SOB...errrr...sorry, FRUGAL. Very, very frugal.

You can load it onto as many PC's as you want though, so to me, that's a plus over the Box editions.

Does all that help answer your question?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Essentially, Microsoft got tired of the Flight Simulator series and sold the rights to sell it to Steam, an internet based software/games vendor.

Minor point, but Dovetail acquired the rights to sell FSX, not Steam, along with the rights to build a new sim using Microsoft's flight sim code. Steam is just an online store for software developers and publishers to sell through.

Hi, so I took my computer in to get a new video card and they upgraded my FSX to Steam Edition. That's OK but now all my add-on scenery is gone and I don't know how to reload. Can anyone help me out?

Huh? How did "they" do this? You only get SE if you have a personal Steam account. And FSX SE may be cheap when on sale, but it isn't free, you definitely paid for this. Did you give "them" your Steam password and Paypal/credit card authorization???

That your addons are missing is perfectly normal. SE is no upgrade, but an alltogether different=separate simulator installation.

Doesn't feel right if the shop does things you didn't ask for. You do not even know if all your addons work, and you may end up in a world of pain if you don't know your way around FSX SE folders and config files (depends on what addons you have - err, had...). I wouldn't let "them" get away with this so easily....

Hi, so I took my computer in to get a new video card and they upgraded my FSX to Steam Edition. That's OK but now all my add-on scenery is gone and I don't know how to reload. Can anyone help me out?

I don't know what would compel them to do something like that. I'd be all bent

out of shape if some shop messed with my software while only adding a video card.

They should have made sure the right video driver was installed and nothing else,

unless you gave them the OK.

I wonder if they actually deleted the box FSX install. They may have left it on there

and did a dual install. You can have and run both box FSX, and FSX-SE. I have both

here, but use box FSX most all of the time.

If that's the case, it all may still be on the drive in it's original folder.

• 2 weeks later...

A relative novice to FSX (have had it for years but only recently started playing it again) - I acquired the Steam edition as I discovered my old (2006) box set would no longer load in Windows 10. So have FSX installed (through Steam) but haven't a clue how to place downloaded liveries for example into the game (I used to have loads but these all seem to have been gobbled up in my transition through Windows XP to 7, 8 and now 10) can anyone help? assuming this is possible?

Thanks

Stu

Archived