Aircraft.cfg file

vry

I often open this file to rename an aircraft, change the sound or panel, etc. Today, there was a message on what

program to use to open it. I have never seen this message before.. So I clicked on notepad, and opened it. Immediately, all my aircraft.cfg files and panel.cfg changed their icons to the notepad icon, and fsx will not run. How can I change this file back to the original? The files are still named aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg.

Thanks

Bless Windows!

It's hard to believe that that is all you did: ALL of my .cfg files in FSX/P3D show the notepad icon (because I edit with notepad) and it has no bearing whatsoever on the games running....

IF you change the .cfg filetype to open with FSX (right click and select 'open with') it may screw up other programs which use .cfg files even if it 'fixes' FSX. Do you know what the .cfg filetype was associated with before? - I sure don't. I do wish you luck.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

The default "open with" program is just the program that opens the file when you double-click it.

Fsx can still open the file just fine.

And the different icon does not matter either.

Look in windows event logs to find the error (faulting module) that prevents fsx from starting up.

For where to look for the info, read the top 'sticky' post in the fsx forum. About "info for people starting threads about fsx crashes".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I often open this file to rename an aircraft, change the sound or panel, etc. Today, there was a message on what

program to use to open it. I have never seen this message before.. So I clicked on notepad, and opened it. Immediately, all my aircraft.cfg files and panel.cfg changed their icons to the notepad icon, and fsx will not run. How can I change this file back to the original? The files are still named aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg.

Thanks

How did you open and edit this file before you got this message?

Something happened on your system that took away the file association of CFG to whatever editor you were using, that is why you got the message. This could have been a program you installed or a windows update. Does not have to be related to FSX at all. But by the sound of it, your FSX got shot too somehow. Just to make sure, I would move the aircraft you edited out of SimObjects, to see if you made an error in the aircraft.cfg file that now crashes FSX (don't know if this is even possible!?)

I also use Notepad to view/edit .cfg files. I learned the hard way that some of the more sophisticated editors can add in symbols to text files rendering them useless in FSX/FS9. Thankfully, I keep the downloaded zip files on a back up external HD, so when I make a huge boo-boo, I can restore things.

Just using Notepad shouldn't cause problems. Double check your text type files, like .cfg files, to make sure they didn't get messed up. Like maybe they got saved off as a different sort of file than a plain old .txt file. If they did, either correct them, or restore them from a back-up. There is a good reason that is one of the first things stated before anyone says in a read-me or post on the forums to ALWAYS make a back-up before editing ANY file, with ANY software. Very critical. If nothing else, keep the zip files.

Is it possible your FSX.cfg or another of the .cfg or .XML files got corrupted? Or did you maybe use too sophisticated an editing software, that change your plain old text files into another sort?

Just my little thoughts on this.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I also use Notepad to view/edit .cfg files. I learned the hard way that some of the more sophisticated editors can add in symbols to text files rendering them useless in FSX/FS9. Thankfully, I keep the downloaded zip files on a back up external HD, so when I make a huge boo-boo, I can restore things. There is a good reason that is one of the first things stated before anyone says in a read-me or post on the forums to ALWAYS make a back-up before editing ANY file, with ANY software.

Pat☺

+1, should be plus everyone!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I usually did not chose a program to open these files. They all opened with what looks like notepad, and after saving, they did not change.

I have seen some solutions on this forum, which seem too complicated e.g. getting in to DOS Mode.

Looks like my frequently seen computer repairman is visiting again.

He keeps on insisting that I return to Windows 7. I wonder why.

It doesn't matter what program opens these files. People have been using Notepad to open these files for years with no harmful effects.

The solution does not require DOS Mode or anything else. In fact, you can leave everything the way it is now and FSX could care less.

This has nothing to do with Windows 7, 8, or 10.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks you guys. I now open it with Apache; mostly because its icon makes it difficult to delete it by mistake.

Noooooo you're just not understanding what is being recommended here. Virtually everybody uses Notepad. All you have to do is reassociate cfg files with notepad. You can google how to do this. It's quite simple. As Jim said, it has nothing to do with what OS you are using. nothing at all. Tell your repairman to stay home. If he isn't familiar with the inner workings of flightsim he may whack things worse than they already are.

And you don't need Apache to avoid deleting by mistake. Just watch what you are clicking on and read the prompts if it asks you if you want to delete something. And even then you can recover it. I suspect part of the issue here is the finger and mouse are clicking too fast in an unguided illogical process, therefore causing you problems.

Your problem here has an easy quick fix really. Reassociate cfg files and look before you click.

If you SAVE the cfg and it 'doesn't change' (ie: edits did not 'take') then it's probably a PERMISSIONS problem. This happens when you install FSX in 'Program Files\Flight Simulator X' as Windows will not allow any changes (ie: edits) to ANY file(s) that reside in 'Program Files' folder(s). To solve this problem un-install FSX (reboot your PC first) then re-install FSX to 'C:\FSX' (and reboot (AGAIN) your PC before you start up FSX). It's a little work but that's the only way to permanently 'fix' this. Otherwise you go off on FSUIPC, Java, etc, to no avail where the 'answer' is right there in front of you so you don't need to 'experiment' with 'alternative solutions' which are useless.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If all you want to do is change the icon of all your .cfg files in one go.

Install the program "Types" (from github)

Run it

find .cfg in the list

click on properties

click on icon.

stretch the pane that opens, by dragging the borders. It's rather small.

choose the icon you want.

(choosing the icon goes visually, just like when choosing an icon for a single file normally goes. But if you know the name/location of the icon you can type that in directly as well.)

If you don't know which one it was. It was a "white page with a small cogwheel" icon.

cfg.JPG

On my system the icon's name is: C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,62

that is in Win7-64bit (Home Premium)

Download link for "Types" program:

http://ystr.github.io/apps/types/

easy peasy:)

enjoy,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

glad to hear!:)

But I do want to stress: really, use notepad.

It's been said over and over, and for good reason.

Other editors can add formatting, which will screw up the file.

Or they use characters that should not be in there. for example print an ë if you type e:

please, for your own good, USE NOTEPAD.

(You find notepad in: Start--all programs--accessories.)

It is in all windows versions.

In case you need to locate the exe to open a file. (after: right click--open with--select program--etc). In my system notepad.exe is in: C:\Windows\system32

Again, please, for your own good, USE NOTEPAD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks very much. I now open the cfg file with Microsoft Word

:D

You've now make your problem even worse - did you not even try to understand what advice you were given. Now you really have corrupted the .cfg files! by changing then to .doc files

.cfg files contains simple text only - .doc files includes also formatting as well for Word .

Hi Folks,

While this probably won't help the IP (as it will change the file association yet again) for those using Notepad - from my 25 plus years of experience working in IT - there is a much better tool out there - Notepad++ is an elegant open source - totally free - solution that is everything the default "Notepad" should have been... Highly recommend it for editing all kinds of files...

Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott,

I like Notepad++ too. But not for this.

Better not use notepad++ for aircraft.cfg files or panel.cfg files!!

Riddle me this.

I just placed an old notepad file on the desktop to test it.

I opened it with Notepad++

I entered a few blank lines in it.

I closed Notepad++

(expecting the change would be saved.)

Now I open the file again, from the desktop, using windows notepad.

No Blank Lines Present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you just close Notepad++ the file isn't saved.

Now I continue editing, this time with windows notepad.

I add a line of AAAAA's

I close windows Notepad and it asks me if I want to save, I say yes.

And now for the kicker.

I open the file once more, using Notepad++

And get a popup:

"This file has been modified by another program,

Do you want to reload it and loose the changes made in Notepad++?"

Buggered!!!

Also, notepad++ can do weird things with formatting, line breaks, indents, etc.

Best use Editors like this for text that needs to look a certain way.

For printing a text with page breaks in the right places for example.

Word, Notepad++, Open Office writer are great for that. Letters, A thesis, etc.

But not for plain text formatted files such as a .cfg file.

It is best to stick to the Windows Notepad for those.

Your .cfg files are just way too important.

Maybe not so many options, but also nothing you can do wrong.

No saving in the wrong encoding,

No accidental autocorrect,

What you type is saved, plain and simple.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi...

Sorry you don't like it - to each his own and certainly your prerogative - I've been using it for years to modify - panels - aircraft - and even the source files in model development prior to compiling them (all my "cfg" files are associated with Notepad++ ) - never had an issue - in addition to writing C, Perl, and Shell programs...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Oh, I agree that if there wasn't Windows Notepad I would use Notepad++ instead.

It can be a great tool in the right hands. And you obviously used it more then I.

I just had a few things go wrong to text. There are too many things that can go wrong. Key combinations suddenly doing things I don't expect, etc. And the fact it doesn't save all open files when it gets closed is just way to counter intuitive. Suddenly later you find out you have multiple versions of one file, all different.

Maybe I'm just very thick, but I think not saving on close is way too confusing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh,And the fact it doesn't save all open files when it gets closed is just way to counter intuitive.

Word also doesn't save all files on closing. Notepad++ offers many more valuable features - as long as you undestand them

No disagrement there. I'm not saying anything bad about Notepad++. It's a great program. I have been using it for a long time, and I do understand the functions.

But those functions aren't needed for something as simple as an aircraft.cfg file. No need for indentation, spell check, page breaks, etc etc. Those functions can actually cause problems, and while editing your .cfg file you would have to carefully avoid clicking on the wrong thing.

No thanks, I'll stick to Notepad for those files.

It can be done with Notepad++ too. Sure. But why go through all that extra hassle.

For a simple edit Notepad is quicker and safer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless you deliberately use the additional features it runs just like Notepad.

You also say that

"I close windows Notepad and it asks me if I want to save, I say yes."

Which is exactly what Notepad++ does!!

No mgh, in notepad++ you would need to either close tthe tab you are working on to save, or you need to choose File--

and then either: save, save file as, save all files as, or save a copy as.

Try it.

Open notepad++

Click file--New

You will get a new tab, (a new file), named "New". No path listed.

Type a few lines of random text.

Close Notepad++ (The whole program, not just the tab.)

You will get no "Save" prompt. Nothing.

Check for a file on the system named "New" -- You can't find it. Not on the desktop, not in my documentss, nowhere.

But, openn Notepad++ again, and there's your text like you left it. Still no path listed.

Now click File,--Save.

Now it's offering to save as "New", but, in a folder where the file New is not present yet.

Really, that file, "New" was not saved earlier. It Wasn't in that folder. To make sure I click "cancel saving" and check the folder. It's not there.

-----------------------------------------------

Other way.

*Open Windows Notepad and type some text. Again a few lines. Now close. It gets saved. To a location of your choice. Let's choose location the Desktop.

Open the file with Windows Notepad again. Your text is there.

Close Windows Notepad.

**Open the file with Notepad++ and add a few more lines. (AAAAA)

Close Notepad++

No save prompt, nothing.

Now open the file on the Desktop with Windows Notepad.

The extra text you added with Notepad++ is not in there.

***Add new lines with WIndows Notepad. Close the file, they are saved. (BBBBB)

****Now open the file with Notepad++ again.

You will get the message "this file has beenmodified by another program.

You now have two "versions" of the file. one with AAAAA, and one with BBBBB.

Only way to get out of this problem is to not click on that prompt, quicly drag a copy of the file somewhere, then agree to discard changes, then work AAAAA and BBBBB into one file.

eeeeeeeh......

-------------------------------------------

With Notepad++ you must remember to explicitly save, or your file just "hovers" when closing the program.

It's not just me, I looked in "Preferences" in Notepad++ and there is no checkbox "Save documents on closing" or similar.

So I say for the simple edits, use Windows Notepad only.

Or you will get this:

I want to change an airline name in an aircraft.cfg

I do this with notepad++, then close Notepad++

I check in fsx, but airline name is still the same.

I check again in notepad++ and the change is definetly there.

Help, what am I doing wrong!

----------------------------------------------

In case you are further interested, read this. Where it is described as a feature. You may like this feature. I do not.

Recommending Notepad++ to a member who has issues after using word and apache for his config files (see the start of this thread) seems to me a bad idea.

Keeep It Simple.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24447786/notepad-doesnt-save-document-on-exit

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I, personally, utilize Notepad++ for my own config editing, but I invariably recommend Windows' Notepad for editing any text file. It's a LOT safer, especially for someone just embarking on the wonderful new world of .CFG editing.

Just my 2 pennies worth...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived