Windows update..extreme irritation.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

Can anyone tell me why ,and how to stop windows update auto starting when I switch my PC on?

I have tried a program called autoruns to see if I can locate and disable WU, but no joy.

Autoruns shows so many processes and other start-up stuff that I cant see the wood for the processes.

I did disable WU using Ccleaner start-up option, but that hasn't worked either it still starts.

I tried different options on the WU app thing itself....No Joy either.

Problem 2.

As well as auto-starting ,WU keeps trying to install W10, even if I uncheck the option to do this.

If I try to install any other updates turned up by running WU it ignores my choices and continues to try and download W10.

PS I did actually DL and install W10 the other day ,but no joy as FS9 would not run correctly ,so rolled back to W8.1

Its as though W10 resents my rolling it back and is determined to install itself come what may.

Cheers Andy

I have Win7

I recieved the alert I could upgrade, it showed as an icon that appeaed in the taskbar/tray.

I almost clicked "agree", but I halted just in time and read more about it.

I discovered that, quoted freely:

"if you click agree, you will 'at some undefined time' see your pc starts downloading Win10"

(And also automatically install itself I think it said. Not 100% sure about that.)

Well, I discovered in the same article (not om the MS site btw) that the Icon in the tray, and all the rest of it, was due to a "Important Update". I install all of those usually, so that explained it.

It said the update was: kb 3035583

I went into "control panel -- update"

Uninstalled the kb 3035583

It was then again in the list of "Important updates I should download"

I selected it, and clicked "Hide this update".

The windows10 Icon disappeared from the tray, and I was not bothered by it again.

(It is still in the list of hidden updates at the moment.)

I still check the number of each kb that starts with 303 very carefully when installing updates, And have now switched the windows update setting to "download updates but let me choose when to install them".

Check if you have kb 3035583kb in he list of installed updates, if it is, remove it, and hide it.

(This was on win7, on win8 the update may have had a different number. You should be able to find that online.)

----------

One other thing, in Windows10 you are not able to refuse windows updates.

(Well, it is possible, but only in the 'win Ultimate' versions.)

I hope having had Win10 for a while does not mean you can't refuse updates on Win8 anymore either.

But I read nothing about that so far, uninstalling and refusing the updates should work.

------------------

If it starts automatically immediately after boot at the moment, and there is no way to stop it, then try doing a clean-boot. That could help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have Win7

I recieved the alert I could upgrade, it showed as an icon that appeaed in the taskbar/tray.

I almost clicked "agree", but I halted just in time and read more about it.

I discovered that, quoted freely:

"if you click agree, you will 'at some undefined time' see your pc starts downloading Win10"

(And also automatically install itself I think it said. Not 100% sure about that.)

Well, I discovered in the same article (not om the MS site btw) that the Icon in the tray, and all the rest of it, was due to a "Important Update". I install all of those usually, so that explained it.

It said the update was: kb 3035583

I went into "control panel -- update"

Uninstalled the kb 3035583

It was then again in the list of "Important updates I should download"

I selected it, and clicked "Hide this update".

The windows10 Icon disappeared from the tray, and I was not bothered by it again.

(It is still in the list of hidden updates at the moment.)

I still check the number of each kb that starts with 303 very carefully when installing updates, And have now switched the windows update setting to "download updates but let me choose when to install them".

Check if you have kb 3035583kb in he list of installed updates, if it is, remove it, and hide it.

(This was on win7, on win8 the update may have had a different number. You should be able to find that online.)

----------

One other thing, in Windows10 you are not able to refuse windows updates.

(Well, it is possible, but only in the 'win Ultimate' versions.)

I hope having had Win10 for a while does not mean you can't refuse updates on Win8 anymore either.

But I read nothing about that so far, uninstalling and refusing the updates should work.

------------------

If it starts automatically immediately after boot at the moment, and there is no way to stop it, then try doing a clean-boot. That could help.

Excellent !

Thanks for your help.

I am sure somebody else pointed out this to me as well ,and I should have paid more attention to there post.

Thanks again

Andy

PS I used to do clean boots in XP trying to eek out (I thought anyway ) a little more performance from fs9.

I will Google the procedure for W8.1

Glad you hav it fixed.:)

If you want to undo this process, you can go into

Control panel -- System and Aecurity -- Windows Update

Then select "Restore Hidden Updates".

There you select the one to restore (kb 3035583)

and click "Restore".

It will then appear in the list of updates again, so you can install it.

Happy flights,

il88pp

(At the moment, with all the issues people report in Win10 with FSX, I do not want Win10 at all.

I will not install the free Win10 on this pc I think. My Win7 is OEM, so i's tied to this computer. And I like Win7 to much to give it up.

Also, my win7 is Home Premium. That means if I upgrade for free, Win10 will be Home Premium as well. That means it will not be possible to refuse updates, like we did in this thread. Any Nvidia driver Windows Update wants to install will be installed, no questions asked, etc, etc. Not what I want at all!

If I decide I do want win10 after all, somewhere in the future, I will probably get a new PC, Buy a Win10 disk, and install that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad you hav it fixed.:)

If you want to undo this process, you can go into

Control panel -- System and Aecurity -- Windows Update

Then select "Restore Hidden Updates".

There you select the one to restore (kb 3035583)

and click "Restore".

It will then appear in the list of updates again, so you can install it.

Happy flights,

il88pp

(At the moment, with all the issues people report in Win10 with FSX, I do not want Win10 at all.

I will not install the free Win10 on this pc I think. My Win7 is OEM, so i's tied to this computer. And I like Win7 to much to give it up.

Also, my win7 is Home Premium. That means if I upgrade for free, Win10 will be Home Premium as well. That means it will not be possible to refuse updates, like we did in this thread. Any Nvidia driver Windows Update wants to install will be installed, no questions asked, etc, etc. Not what I want at all!

If I decide I do want win10 after all, somewhere in the future, I will probably get a new PC, Buy a Win10 disk, and install that.

For now at least, that's in my opinion a great decision! If you like what you have, let someone who doesn't like what they have go through all the teething issues of the new O.S.!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop & Fs9 is running perfectly.

There is (now) a setting where you can control updates, but, as I want my machine always updated to the latest version, I dont bother switching it off.

Fs9 actually seems to load faster as well.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived