Radion HD8570D + R7 240 Dual Graphics question.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello no takers in hardware forum ......Trying here.Couple of questions...

Radion HD8570D + R7 240 Dual Graphics question.

Hello

My new PC (year old now)

Came with two graphics thingies.

The R7 240 is i think the actual Gcard. (Entry level I believe but runs fs9 wonderfully well)

But could someone explain the HD 8570D bit.

I do know that in video settings I have to select both these options to run together for Fs9 to function correctly.

Would this dual graphics thingy cause a problem if I wanted to upgrade my Gcard.

PS

My new PC came with only a 180 watt PSU

My question are today's PCs more power efficient than say a PC from the early 2000s

I only ask because my first PC (around year 2000) came with a 250 watt PSU ,and even that was considered low powered at the time.

One reason I ask is because if I'm tempted to upgrade my Gcard how would this 180 PSU manage.

I am not talking about buying a powerhouse stonking Gcard but perhaps a modest upgrade.

Would the PSU cope?

I have to say in its present configuration my PC shows no sign of being underpowered; it runs exceptionally well.

My question is more curiosity than anything else as sim runs so well anyway.

Cheers Andy

You would need to check the specs on the graphics card you are thinking of buying. It will say what size of a PSU that you will need. You also need to make sure that your old PSU has the proper type of power connectors for the new card. Honestly I don't think a 180w PSU will power a newer add in grahics card.

You would need to check the specs on the graphics card you are thinking of buying. It will say what size of a PSU that you will need. You also need to make sure that your old PSU has the proper type of power connectors for the new card. Honestly I don't think a 180w PSU will power a newer add in grahics card.

OK

Thanks

Its irritating that HP have been so stingy in this area.

Surly they could have managed a 300 watt PSU;and even that is a pretty low spec.

Anyway for now my simulator is running so well even with this R7 240 HD 8570D dual combo (whatever the 8570D bit is)that came with this PC.

But as you know simmers being simmers the urge to upgrade burns deeply within us.

Thanks Bam.

Didn't think I was going to get any replys.

Andy

Andy,

Name brand PCs will use custom parts specific to that brand and model, the PSU being one of those parts with not only a custom form factor but custom fittings as well. This makes any upgrade of their systems next to impossible beyond doing a RAM upgrade. Your PSU wont have the power output to handle any newer GPU that is any better than what you have at present unfortunately.

While PCs and PC components are more energy efficient now they do require more power, so I guess the two in many ways cancel each other out. Any custom system now days really requires at minimum a 500w PSU.

It simply comes down to it being not in the best interest of the PC manufacture's to have their systems upgradable which is why the life span of a custom built system is more than double that of a off the shelf system.

As for your question about your HD8570d it is a on-board GPU as apposed to your R7 GPU which is a separate card installed on a PCI slot on your MoBo.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Moving a little bit ahead.

If you are going to install an add-on graphics card, and then run two or more high-resolution monitors from it, which will work it very hard, you "almost must" do a few extra things.

You "almost must" make sure that the chip/heat_sink has adequate cooling because (duh) it will get very hot. If the graphics board has a connector for an add-on fan but doesn't have the actual fan it is well worth while acquiring and fitting such a fan.

You "almost must" download, install, configure a system monitoring package such as SpeedFan or ZPU. Whilst you are running FS, you need to occasionally check the fan(s) RPM and the CPU/GPU temperatures to make sure they are not getting too hot. If the fans spin at full speed all or most of the time then:

And you absolutely must (no "almost" about this one), every few months or possibly year or so take the cover off your rig and brush or vaccuum away all the dust, especially off the fans and heat sink fins. You will very quickly discover how often you need to do this.

Not to do these things risks not only overheating the chips and causing them to fail, but if the dust is very thick (dust is a superb insulator, and traps heat very very well) you risk setting the dust ON FIRE. As a former electronics technician in my most recent past life I have seen this happen.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Andy,

Name brand PCs will use custom parts specific to that brand and model, the PSU being one of those parts with not only a custom form factor but custom fittings as well. This makes any upgrade of their systems next to impossible beyond doing a RAM upgrade. Your PSU wont have the power output to handle any newer GPU that is any better than what you have at present unfortunately.

While PCs and PC components are more energy efficient now they do require more power, so I guess the two in many ways cancel each other out. Any custom system now days really requires at minimum a 500w PSU.

It simply comes down to it being not in the best interest of the PC manufacture's to have their systems upgradable which is why the life span of a custom built system is more than double that of a off the shelf system.

As for your question about your HD8570d it is a on-board GPU as apposed to your R7 GPU which is a separate card installed on a PCI slot on your MoBo.[/quote

Thanks Darryl

You have answered my question.

At the moment iam not thinking of upgrading ,because FS9 runs so well now on this relatively new machine . It might be an entry level Gcard combination ,but compared to my old XP setup* it has renewed FS9; its* a joy to use now.

I will open my P C and have a look at the PSU fittings ,to see if it an upgrade would be possible in the future.

Cheers Andrew

Moving a little bit ahead.

If you are going to install an add-on graphics card, and then run two or more high-resolution monitors from it, which will work it very hard, you "almost must" do a few extra things.

You "almost must" make sure that the chip/heat_sink has adequate cooling because (duh) it will get very hot. If the graphics board has a connector for an add-on fan but doesn't have the actual fan it is well worth while acquiring and fitting such a fan.

You "almost must" download, install, configure a system monitoring package such as SpeedFan or ZPU. Whilst you are running FS, you need to occasionally check the fan(s) RPM and the CPU/GPU temperatures to make sure they are not getting too hot. If the fans spin at full speed all or most of the time then:

And you absolutely must (no "almost" about this one), every few months or possibly year or so take the cover off your rig and brush or vaccuum away all the dust, especially off the fans and heat sink fins. You will very quickly discover how often you need to do this.

Not to do these things risks not only overheating the chips and causing them to fail, but if the dust is very thick (dust is a superb insulator, and traps heat very very well) you risk setting the dust ON FIRE. As a former electronics technician in my most recent past life I have seen this happen.

Hello Steve

That's moving a LOT ahead:-)

But I will bare in mind what you say.

CTDs are bad enough ,but burning down the house! That's a whole new kettle of bananas.

Cheers

Andy

At the risk of repetition, let me state something. Dell, HP, etc., etc. use their own hardware. They often intentionally spec it just enough differently than standard to prevent the buyer from shopping for parts anywhere but with them. So they can charge you whatever they choose for anything you need.

The next time you need a new computer buy the parts and build it yourself, it's easy. Or buy the parts and hire someone else to build it. In either case you'll get what you need in your computer instead of what a big company like Dell has too many of on that particular day. And you'll almost certainly save a ton of money too.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hello All

I note what you say about the big manufacturers ,but my last and now deceased PC was an E-machines .

I had no problem adding new memory, Gcard ,PSU, Hard drive etc etc.

Sadly in the long run all this surgery did not prevent its demise.

Andy

My present PC is an HP pavilion something point something series.

I believe HP do have a reputation for making there PCs hard to upgrade.

Archived