will this video card improve my frames

I look forward to replies for you as I am also considering upgrading my video card.

I would expect it would make a difference as the core clock and memory clock are faster.

In the research I have done I note that the most expensive video cards don't have a core clock a lot faster than cheaper ones BUT the memory clock (and memory chips) are heaps faster.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Depends on the rest of your system. If your CPU struggles to run FSX, a better GPU won't make much of a difference. I would first check how your current GPU is being utilized. You can do this with Nvidia Inspector, there is a neat feature that paints a graph of your GPU load continuously. If this is at 100% all the time, a new GPU will help.

A first indication of how the GPUs compare can be obtained on the benchmark sites, I always look at these before buying something. Passmark has a pretty long list. You could look for used bargains, for example GTX 660 OC or something in the area. I had one of those in my system for a while, it was pretty good (about 10 times as powerful than a 610 and 4 times the 730)

my Pc specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz

RAM: 12gb 1333 DDR3 ram ADATA

System Type; 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate Compaq

Video Card: Asus Nvidia GT 610CSM 2gb DDR3 lowprofile 1200mgz memory clock

HDD: Seagate 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache HDD

PSU: 250watt

MB: ACER DA078L-AM3

While you will see a improvement I would be concerned that your PSU is only 250w. Before you buy anything for your PC go to a PSU power calculator website and enter your component details with the new GPU so you can get a idea if your PSU is even able to generate enough power for the new GPU.

Unfortunately with name brand PCs they are extremely limited on any upgrades you can do due to their custom components like the MoBo and PSU.

In my experience the PSU on such machines are running at 100% or as close to, off the shelf and the PSU being a custom size, and with custom fittings make it impossible to swap out for a higher powered PSU.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

I look forward to replies as this is also the video card I intend to purchase (I have an i7 - 4770 3.40Ghz CPU with 8GB DDR3 1600 memory)

John

Yes it is not "max performance" but is about half the cost of HD 7950.

It's a balance of budget to "max performance".

John

Performance wise the 750 is not even middle class, it is in the lower third. For your system you IMHO should look at the 9xx series or maybe a second hand 780.

A Radeon might not be a good idea, by and large FSX works best with NVidia.

Archived