Another problem we have: F1 ATR

alexzar14

When I go to performance vnav page-2 by clicking the "next" button on the CDU, it crashes the sim.

First I set up the plight plan, then I go to Perf page 1/2 and set the altitude with weights, then I click "next" to go to page-2 and I get a crash. I have version 2 for FSX. Also the overhead buttons like external power don't always work (not clickable), but this is minor. The big problem here is the crashing during VNAV programming. I had this addon for a while but never flew it due to other newer and greater addons. Decided to give it a try and... no workie.

Hi, that one is notorious for problems. There are loads of threads about the VNAV problem and other. AFAIK Flight1 never solved them.

The only solution (if you want to call it that) that I found on a German forum, was to be very careful about how you load this aircraft. Contrary to all experience you should load it first thing in the sim at KSEA (so no default Cessna and then switching planes or anything), maybe even save a flight with it and load that one. Then move it to your departure airport. And I read about "deleting the missed approach fixes" before switching to page 2 - whatever that means in this context.

I don't know if this works, I had so many problems with it that I gave up (like the unresponsive overhead - for me as "VC-only" this is a huge problem. Even had FS2Crew to go with it, but that combination is a sure way to CTD right on the load screen now (it worked - once...)

Thanks, at least solution exist.

I flew it yesterday without vnav, it is surely too plain and basic compared to J41 and Q400, graphically too outdated too. Not something I would fly even half as many times as J41 and Q400 (I assume the ATR time will be 1 to 10-15 compared to J and Q). One strong positive advantage though which kept it on my hard drive: it has a good solid air behavior making it joy to hand fly. J41 is too a "handy" plane but not a Q400.

it's not stable, it needs constant directional (in all axis) corrections especially on approach. What I consider "stable" is when I can take my hands off the yoke and the airplane will continue flying in the same manner, for some seconds at least (trimmed, this is not an issue of trim here). With Dash8 I can't take my hands off the yoke for 1/2 second.

I don't consider it a major problem, it is a big fun starting that plane, setting up the FMC and then fly it by manipulating the various modes of autopilot (like any recent 2010+ airplane software with good systems simulation and great visual graphics). Perhaps there is a way to tune the dynamics via the utility included (I haven't yet fully discovered it) to make it more stable in flight?

It was bad on the take off roll too, it used to veer off the centerline but I managed to perfect the centerline take off and landing with small differential breaking inputs so right now my only issue is the in-flight handling.

Maybe a matter of habit. It has often been said that FSX planes fly as if they were on rails, and that this is not too realistic. The Q400 on the other hand is, and depending on your weather setting this behaviour could actually be accurate. For example, that she lists to on side in flight is realistic too and needs to be corrected with rudder trim. If these small details are modelled accurately I assume the major parts definitely are too. And I guess the controller you use and its sensitivity are a big factor. With my yoke I can't find any fault in the Q400, it just "feels" right. Of course I do not have any experience in flying these for real. But in the tiny C152 I have briefly flown there was no taking off the hands either if you wanted to stay on your heading. Flying, that she wanted to do by herself, just the "where" was a matter of constant debate.

The Q400 uses an outside FDE. If you don't give the FDE enough parse time, you will get issues with stability and control response.

This is a classic issue of having settings set too high in the sim, or having bad tweaks to the FSX .cfg file. Suggest seeking guidance in the correct forum.

Archived