New York City

andyjohnston

Has anyone tried the new NYC scenery from Drzewiecki Design?

There is a freeware demo, but based on what I see in it, I don't think I'd be convinced to spend money on the full version. The textures are very low quality, and huge swathes of land are left barren without even autogen to cover them.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Don't read too much into demos!

I haven't got that NY scenery but I should imagine any scenery is better than default FSX scenery.

Drzewiewcki has produced a lot of stuff that sells well, so he's got a good reputation even if we can't pronounce his name, but some reviews say his NY needs a high-end computer to get the best out of it...;)

VIDEO/SCREENSHOTS/REVIEWS etc- https://www.fspilotshop.com/drzewiecki-design-m-266.html?utm_campaign=sitelink&utm_medium=forum&utm_source=flightsimcom&osCsid=bmok80od5cdcndr71kem026r61

I have the full version. Any part in particular you want to check out? I can take screenshots, but it might take a while (weekend at the latest).

Together with the NY airports it is pretty good. But it really hurts FPS, so I'm not flying there often. Even tried it in P3D with the A2A Cherokee - taking off KJFK my FPS went down to 20% of their usual value.

Compared to Aerosoft Manhattan X it covers more ground and seems a little bit less cartoonish.

The scenery is on my wishlist-by the way- Drzewiecki Design have a very nice scenery of Warsaw and a few airports nearby. Try pronouncing the names of those airports though, for some people it's really tough.

The NYC demo makes the city very flat, many Manhattan buildings disapear etc. But you can always try the demo of the airports (NYC airports), I'll try them out when I get my new PC.

Cheers,

Jan

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

I was about to start a topic on city sceneries, good it is already started. I don't have a question specifically on Drzewecky, but a general inquiry... I've been long considering at least few like NY and Miami by Aerosoft. I fly airliners only, but approaching Miami gives you a good view of the city and the FSX default one is just horrible, you just don't see any Miami there.

Question: do city sceneries affect VAS a lot? I have a DX10 fixer and optimized Vector so I never have OOMs, I land at FSDT KJFK, KLAX and LVFR KMIA with 800MB remaining, the worst cases are around 600 flying any aircraft there is: PMDG 777 or whatever you think of. This is so you understand my skepticism I had about the city sceneries all this time (I was scared of it).

How much VAS drop I should expect? I could probably handle 100MB, 150MB max. Keep in mind I use FSDT/Aerosoft airport sceneries and fly demanding aircraft.

I was about to start a topic on city sceneries, good it is already started. I don't have a question specifically on Drzewecky, but a general inquiry... I've been long considering at least few like NY and Miami by Aerosoft. I fly airliners only, but approaching Miami gives you a good view of the city and the FSX default one is just horrible, you just don't see any Miami there.

Question: do city sceneries affect VAS a lot? I have a DX10 fixer and optimized Vector so I never have OOMs, I land at FSDT KJFK, KLAX and LVFR KMIA with 800MB remaining, the worst cases are around 600 flying any aircraft there is: PMDG 777 or whatever you think of. This is so you understand my skepticism I had about the city sceneries all this time (I was scared of it).

How much VAS drop I should expect? I could probably handle 100MB, 150MB max. Keep in mind I use FSDT/Aerosoft airport sceneries and fly demanding aircraft.

I don't use heavy scenery settings when I fly aluminum tubes. I can't see much at FL25 anyway. However you seem to want to have both. And I don't blame you at all.

Since you apparently have a good system, you'd be a perfect person to advise if what we all want to do is possible. Please buy NYC or a similar city suite and tell us how it works out with your big planes. Also please advise as what your machine specs. are so we'll know what to expect in comparison.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I don't use heavy scenery settings when I fly aluminum tubes. I can't see much at FL25 anyway. However you seem to want to have both. And I don't blame you at all.

Since you apparently have a good system, you'd be a perfect person to advise if what we all want to do is possible. Please buy NYC or a similar city suite and tell us how it works out with your big planes. Also please advise as what your machine specs. are so we'll know what to expect in comparison.

lol you want me to subsidize the experiment? )) ok let's try it.

I have a good system but VAS business doesn't depend on the system specs. I'd like the Aerosoft one because Drzewecky is more VAS and fps demanding I assume. Question, do these sceneries typically cover only the city centers/downtowns or the entire city to some degree at least? I mean, is it only about Manhattan or all 5 boroughs? Will I see a good Far Rockaway representation on approach to JFK? Prospect Park in Brooklyn and the Coney Island area with beaches, Staten Island proper terrain and etc? This applied to all city sceneries there are.

As for Miami, there is one by Drz. and one by Megascenery Earth. Same question, is it just about the shore line or the whole city? Also, these Megaearth sceneries, is it adding the buildings or is it only adding the photoreal texturing? What's the MegaEarths about? What's best for Miami? What's best for NY?

Well, Central Park is completely empty, except for the museum, and the is nothing stretching from there to the Harlem River. The city is barren except for patches in lowertown and midtown (much the way NYC looked before the addition of autogen)

BTW, I think it's pronounced something like "Doctor Zoo-icky"

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

No, mission abort. Just googled for performance and these sceneries are slideshows with default Ultralight, nevermind default Kingair. You load a 737NGX and your computer will go dead for a month.

If on sale for $17, will buy it to "Ultralight" around it, otherwise no use.

No, mission abort. Just googled for performance and these sceneries are slideshows with default Ultralight, nevermind default Kingair. You load a 737NGX and your computer will go dead for a month.

If on sale for $17, will buy it to "Ultralight" around it, otherwise no use.

Thanks!

You did us a favor! That's about exactly the results I was expecting.

I have ScotFlight, for its' coverage of Scotland, of course. I love it because it has many things like the canals, castles, etc. of Scotland in great detail. But it's about at the limit of my 4.7Ghz i7 with sliders far right and flying a default Huey or King Air. No way you're going to land an aluminum tube at Edinburg or Glasgow without a serious chance of OOM or the sliders set so low you won't see anything anyway!

I got the Heathrow super airport some months ago. It's wonderful for STOL work but again, nothing with fancy controls would likely be very successful. In fact, you don't want to taxi around too many areas of the airport. There's a lot of content in there!!

In fact if I'm doing a longer flight, I usually disable the Heathrow section in my Scenery Library. Or fly in and out of Gatwick. Which in both cases cancels out the purpose of the purchase.

I have also tried to use both of these in P3D as well. They're not quite as bad on frame rate as FSX. But I really don't like the way many, OK most, scenery looks in P3D anyway.

I've been thinking replacing my Aerosoft EGLL with UK2000 one. I use it for flights across Atlantic, it is a pretty scenery but heavy on fps. I have UK2000 Gatwick and Manchester I use for inter-european flights and I like it very much, they look good and perform well. I hope UK2000 EGLL is not too inferior visually to Aerosoft's, no?

I've been thinking replacing my Aerosoft EGLL with UK2000 one. I use it for flights across Atlantic, it is a pretty scenery but heavy on fps. I have UK2000 Gatwick and Manchester I use for inter-european flights and I like it very much, they look good and perform well. I hope UK2000 EGLL is not too inferior visually to Aerosoft's, no?

The Aerosoft Mega EGLL is what I'm referring to. I haven't tried any of the UK2000 pieces. You're on a roll! Please let us know how the UK2000 version works for you!

I purchased the Drzwiecki stuff for NYC -- both NYC and the nearby airports.

Bottom line: it looks quite beautiful, especially at night, especially at max detail. BUT: it basically doesn't play well with any other add-ons of any complexity, nor with high settings.

If you're willing to tweak your system and fly a default FSX or low-demand add-on aircraft around the area (helicopter is recommended, for the views), it's great!

But you'll have to turn off/down AI traffic (air and ground), remove any weather (certainly can't use REX weather with it), and turn off any other add-ons you have in the area, including all ORBX stuff, local and global.

It's a very specialized add-on, useful mainly for taking gorgeous virtual shots of the area and surrounding airports and environs. Consider it appropriately.

Archived