New F/A-18C/D versions released today!

PhantomTweak

Hello all!

Just a quick note: "Jimi" Hendricks and Team have JUST today released their latest version of the F/A-18C/D models. Version 15.6, completely revamping the FDE, and the FCS system, which is now utilizing PID controller logic. It is as close (according to the Beta Testers, some of whom are real-world F/A-18 pilots), as a plane has ever come to the real world FCS system of the F/A-18C/D.

I tried a pre-release, Beta version, of it, and I am stunned. The 15.2 version, and the NH version, were amazingly well done, but this plane is now light-years, nay PARSECS better. I cannot overstate the amount this new version is improved.

I cannot think of ways to thank Jimi, Orion, and the rest for this any more than I have already.

There are several different configurations available such as Air-Air, Air-Ground, and so on, but you must have the Training configuration installed, as the others depend on it for panel, sound, textures, and so on. It was a way to save HD space, rather than having 7 or 8 complete and different aircraft.

To download, go to this post: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146

If you don't have it already you will also need to download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Just thought you F/A-18 fans might like to know...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all!

Just a quick note: "Jimi" Hendricks and Team have JUST today released their latest version of the F/A-18C/D models. Version 15.6, completely revamping the FDE, and the FCS system, which is now utilizing PID controller logic. It is as close (according to the Beta Testers, some of whom are real-world F/A-18 pilots), as a plane has ever come to the real world FCS system of the F/A-18C/D.

I tried a pre-release, Beta version, of it, and I am stunned. The 15.2 version, and the NH version, were amazingly well done, but this plane is now light-years, nay PARSECS better. I cannot overstate the amount this new version is improved.

I cannot think of ways to thank Jimi, Orion, and the rest for this any more than I have already.

There are several different configurations available such as Air-Air, Air-Ground, and so on, but you must have the Training configuration installed, as the others depend on it for panel, sound, textures, and so on. It was a way to save HD space, rather than having 7 or 8 complete and different aircraft.

To download, go to this post: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146

If you don't have it already you will also need to download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Just thought you F/A-18 fans might like to know...

Pat☺

Pat,

Just went to that site. It sure looks interesting! Probably way over my head. Another likely reason they made me mortar fodder in a chopper, rather than let me fly the fast stuff!

Back in the day, we used slide rules instead of computers or calculators. I'd help you with that formula you mentioned but I can't read my slide rule like I used to. I don't remember the info being printed that small!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Ha! I used to take my slip-stick into Math class for tests. They said NO CALCULATORS but never banned slide-rules, and I was the only one in my class that learned them. Really helped me breeze through the tests fast. One of those big yellow ones. went for about $5.00, a lot cheaper than a calculator.

I will admit, when I got to Millington I used a TI-55-II calc. I still have that dinosaur. I love that thing.

Anyhow...I figured the formula out, I just wanted to be certain I had the computer version of the notations down properly :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hi Pat,

Thanks! I just installed the training version and th first A-A anddid a very short flight in he A-A. Flies well, Looks great!

Hard to believe these are freeware !!

Thank you very much for pointing us to these files.:)

il88pp

Air - Air.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fixed a small glitch, thought I'd share.

(done in fsx deluxe with acceleration, =fsx Gold. )

I downloaded

FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training.7z

FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Clean.7z

FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 A-A.7z

I unzipped all three, with 7zip. Then dropped the unzipped folders in

\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\Airplanes

I first did a flight in the A-A. There was no engine sound.

Then I did a flight in the Training version. In that one there was sound.

So, I closed fsx, and planned to copy the sound folder. But, it was not necessary.

I opened the: "FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 A-A"

to check it out.

There is a sound folder in it!

I looked inside and saw the sound was aliased.

The sound.cfg file contains the line:

alias=..\..\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound

That means "go up two levels, then look for folder \FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound

But hat would mean fsx looks for folder:

\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound

(So, like this it does not look in Simobjects.... But that's where the training version is!)

Easy to fix. I changed the line in the sound.cfg file to:

alias=FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training\sound

(So, i removed the: ..\..\ )

I made the same change in th soundai folder.

Now the sound in the A-A version works perfectly.

I the made the same changes in the: "FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Clean" folder.

--------------------------------------

Maybe I did not install correctly. Maybe the training version was not supposed to go into \Simobjects\Airplanes. But to me it seemed the most logical place for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe I did not install correctly. Maybe the training version was not supposed to go into \Simobjects\Airplanes. But to me it seemed the most logical place for it.

Thank you for the help, l88pp!

That problem was noticed earlier, I just hadn't had a chance to post the fix here. I did post it in the thread the planes are in. I appreciate the help.

You DID install it correctly, btw. The error was Jimi's, and he hadn't put a fix up yet. He do have a kinda a busy life :D

Jimi & Orion. The names seem familiar. From FSWaterConfigurator, FSWC. Is that the same guys/team?

I don't know, I don't have that little bit o'software :) Orion IS the one responsible for writing the AICairriers.NET program, so it's entirely possible. He also wrote most of the XML software for the FCS, not to mention all the rest of the gauges in the Panel.cfg. I am pretty certain he and Jimi wrote most of the original gauges in the F-18 included in FSX Acceleration when it first came out. They took that plane and really ran with it let me tell you!

I don't know if Orion is part of the FSX Blue Angels, but "Jimi" Hendricks is the Team's XO. AND a greater bunch of guys is hard to find. They put up with all my stupid questions :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Pat,

Glad to help.

I was wrong about the names. The name Jimi is not in the FSWC presets, only Orion. Could not find more on that. Never mind though.

A question Re the F/A-18C/D. Is there a way to get the landing light to illuminate the runway? A substitute model perhaps?

I find the FSDT thread a little hard to read, it's loooong.

I did find how to 'fix' the afterburner. Simply install the effects from the training version (silly me). And I'm about to try and install the vcredist 2015 x86 to get access to the autothrottle.

But I couldn't find something about the landing lights.

(I do not have Tacpack, Shockwave, or any of that.)

Thank you, loving it, il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am stuck at '7zip' and can't figure out 7zip. I have Winzip and love it. Wish they had put files of F-18 in a 'regular' zip for us 'non 7zip' users. Oh well. I'll enjoy it from afar.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Did you try peazip, I like it because it does really good encryption. It is the only zip utility that allows me to lock a file via 'key' file. I am quite sure it can handle 7zip

I am pretty sure sourceforge has pea zip or peazip however they have named it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Hiyas il88pp,

Glad you're enjoying it :D It really is one heck of a plane, aint it?

They really have put a lot of effort into it, and yet, there's even more in the works! One small thing you can easily do, though, that Jimi will fix in the next update, is the parasitic drag setting in the [flight_tuning] part of the aircraft.cfg.

Peter, author of the NH version, discovered that the different configurations have different parasitic drag numbers to make them fly correctly, which makes sense, as all the different things you hang off the wings changes that. I KNOW that the MOI's will also change, and possibly the .air files, but for the moment, the biggie is the Parasite Drag Setting.

It's pretty easy to change. I suggest you DL the NH version's main airplane at this location: http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/jTPihmnP/file.html .

All you really need out of it is the aircraft.cfg file, so you can just unzip the correct aircraft.cfg file for the loadout you want (each one has a unique one), look at the line for parasite_drag_scalar= and see what you need for a particular loadout, then copy the number into your v15.6's aircraft.cfg for the loadout you've chosen. Like the Training version uses 1.25, but the A-G uses 1.70, if you see what I mean.

I've noticed, and mentioned, the landing lights problem, but Jimi is getting ready for a PCS and Mr. Orion (Honestly, they BOTH have nothing but my greatest respect) has been very quiet the last few days, for whatever reason. I expect an answer when I see one.

From what I understand, the man who made the Model for the plane in the very first place, back when FSX Acceleration was in development, I believe, isn't available any longer. Whether he just quit the whole Sim scene, or something else, I haven't inquired too closely about. Nunya is what I tell myself. Nunya beeswax.

Anyway, until someone get's permission to alter the model, I don't believe this situation will get resolved. It's annoying, but to me a small problem (I adamantly refuse to use the word "issue" when I mean PROBLEM!). And as far as I know, landing lights are integral to the model, not aircraft.cfg or .air files. Maybe I'm wrong.

(I do not have Tacpack, Shockwave, or any of that.)

Don't feel bad, the only payware I have are FS9 and FSX-SE :D I don't even have the A-G radar FSDT has out, although someday...It's pretty steep though, at a whopping $5.00 :rolleyes: Someone mentioned that was the very least they could put it up on the site for.

I am stuck at '7zip' and can't figure out 7zip. I have Winzip and love it. Wish they had put files of F-18 in a 'regular' zip for us 'non 7zip' users. Oh well. I'll enjoy it from afar.

Chuck B

Hi Chuck! Notice that I, to this day, haven't said "What's up, Chuck?" Get it? Up-chuck...sorry stupid joke.

Anyway, I discovered 7zip years ago, and haven't looked back since. I love it. I don't use for WinZip for anything at all. All you really need to do is DL it (It IS freeware), install it where you like, and if you changed the 7zip, .7Z, or whatever, file association to Winzip, just change them to 7Zip's Console, I believe. It's been a long time, and all my zip files use it. It works pretty good, IMHO. It may also allow you select the file's to open with it during installation, I'm not certain.

I know that's a trifle vague, but I'm not sure just what your problem is...Not that I'm a huge 7Zip expert or anything.

Anyway, Enjoy it everyone, and more improvements are coming!

Pat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Pat,

top of the morning to you,:cool:

Yeah, it's fantastic. In spite of the landing light it's still a big winner. It flies so steady, yet turns on a dime. And the paints are beautiful! Last 'evening' I took off towards an approaching light, intercepted wat turned out to be a 737 at 20k, going in the opposite direction. Then accompanied it down staying just behind it all the way to touchdown.

I love how smooth that was. Much better flight chars then default f18 /f18 combat.

The clarity of the hud is good too. No more zooming to read altitude.:)

Also like the effects. AB looks very good, and also nav lights and such. (NOTE: some will overwrite default lights. Make backups of the defaults!)

I fly the a-a mostly. I have the clean as well. I'll have a look at what you linked later, thanks, and I'll slowly work my way through the fsdt thread.

Btw, the C++ 2015 (x64 and x86) installed quick and painless, it feels like the whole FSX perked right up.

il88pp

About 7z. If you are getting 7zip for your x64 windows don't get the 32b 7zip as it does not work from the context menu, get the x64 version of 7z instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It flies so steady, yet turns on a dime.

I think Jimi took the Pirouetter gauge out, but I'll look again, just to be sure. If it's there, give that maneuver a try. THAT is turning on a dime, and getting 8c change!

Also like the effects. AB looks very good, and also nav lights and such.

Only trouble is with the the LEX vapor effect, but we're working on it! May just be a minor glitch in the [smoke] section of the aircraft.cfg's. I'll post back what I find. Again, Peter's NH works good, so we may take that for a starting point...

I'll slowly work my way through the fsdt thread.

You think this one's long, take a look at the vLSO thread. 90 pages and counting, so far! :D

Btw, the C++ 2015 (x64 and x86) installed quick and painless, it feels like the whole FSX perked right up.

Just so you know, you only need the 32 bit version installed. I had the 64 bit version installed first, as I have a 64 bit system, but it didn't work, so after a couple posts, Mr. Orion let me on that little secret. I just installed the 32 bit also, because I'm lazy, and didn't want to bother uninstalling the 64 bit. Works fine with both going though :) If you still have problems with the autothrottle, though, Orion posted a new HornetFCS.DLL file on pg. 63. This is the link to it, if you want to DL and try it out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19121193/FSX/FSXBA/Public/HornetFCS.dll

If you want a real challenge, give a few traps aboard the carrier a try. It is a real joy for those! No sarcasm, but you really need to stay on your toes. You get busy fast! Remember to set the Hook Bypass and Anti-skid switches! To see what wire you grab, hit shift+6 before you get to the boat. AND, for a great display of what's doing what in the plane, try Shift+8. Almost too much data!

Have a great time!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the pointer, downloaded. Your last post (combined with all these new planes) made my head spin. No matter, Rome wasn't built in a day.. I'll take it step by step.

My first carrier landing was 2 nights ago, and succesful. Well, needed two approaches, but no crash. Caught the wires just like that. No 'trickery' required. Just drop the hook and go.

Screenshots here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293061-landing-on-carrier-in-FSDT-FA18_C-D-VFA-192

You know, I downloaded the 757 Freemium installer over a week ago. Still not installed! No time...

Such fun!

wiggl... oops! :D

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nevermind. I had 32 bit, v9.20, and installed 7zip program so I did that part right. I only needed to RIGHT CLICK the '*.7z' file and chose 'Extract' and a path and WALA. I dbl clicked them before and that did not work (for whatever reason). With WinZip I can dbl click a zip file and it opens so I can read the txt files first. Or open the cfg file. So it's all 'GO' now.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Heads up all Steam users:

They introduced something today (I didn't catch what exactly) that ruined the new Hornet completely. NO roll control and the pitch is very limited.

It had something to do with Simconnect.dll, and I am desperately seeking a fix.

I'll post anything I can find.

GREAT looking screens, il88pp! I told you the carrier stuff was great :D Do you use AICarriers.NET and vLSO? they really boost the experience! A suggestion, too, if I may: If you do use AICarriers, once you get the carrier set and going in one direction, get into your custom weather, and set the wind down the angle deck, 8° left (port) of the BRC you chose, to about 10-15 knots. AND make sure your gross weight (FRAP page on the displays, or shft+6 to see gross weight) is below 33klbs. Use the fuel dump to dump down if you need to. All this will make the plane behave exactly correctly according to the NATOPS. The moving carrier and WOD will make it more challenging too!

Chuck:

I am really glad you got the 7Zip thing fingered out :D Enjoy the plane, I sure do!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Pat,

So Sorry to hear about the steam issue.

I use AIcarriers.exe, no vLSO. After I saw your last post I looked at vLSO. --virtual Landing Signal Officer, ok.

Found the Blog, downoaded latest version, the airports, and FCLPv2. Lots of manuals to read through, and lots to learn. I'v been flying a wide, high pattern (break :) ) so far, so getting any score on the board will be a chalange.

Not sure if I will do all the reading first or just run vLSO and see how I stack up so far. The more I think the more I crash usually when carriers are involved. It's all: "seat of the pants, aim for around 170 knots" for me usually.

Update:

I was going to ask some questions, but I think I'll just do more reading.

I just found the manual for the FA18 C/D. After searching Google for: "lex vapor effect fa18"

Following link is directly to the FA18 C/d Manual PDF file:

Link Removed - Was older version of FA18-C

The other acronyms in your post(s) I didn't know. No worries. I'm sure I'll come across them eventually. With English not my language all these acronyms get so confusing. And every time I learn one I seem to forget ten others!

I hope you get the steam issues solved soon. How dare they! I still use box edition thankfully.

il.

Just for completeness:

link to vLSO thread:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,4915.0.html

link to vLSO Blog with latest version and more:

http://vlso.blogspot.nl/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The other acronyms in your post(s) I didn't know.

I sincerely apologize! I didn't meant to be confusing. Having been in the Marines, I am so used to using acronyms, I don't even think about it any more. ANY questions you have, please, feel free to ask! It's how we learn "stuffs", and I'll be more than happy to explain.

I hope you get the steam issues solved soon. How dare they!

I couldn't agree any more! It's really annoying me, but I have a message in to Jimi and Orion. I hope they help!

"seat of the pants, aim for around 170 knots" for me usually.

Nothing wrong with all that, but for one tiny thing: This plane is made to land at about 135KIAS. If you're landing at 170, you're a tad fast...Remember, keep it under 33,000 lbs gross weight and use full flaps.

Then, just set the pitch trim to 8.1° (the small number on the right side of the HUD that flashes occaisionally), and play the throttles to aim the Velocity Vector (the little circle with three lines sticking out of it) where you want to go. I have found that it's easiest to, once you hit 250KIAS (Knots Indicated Air Speed) and drop the gear and flaps in the break, slowly raise the pitch trim as you slow down, until you are at the correct speed and the trim is at 8.1°.

Try to hold the pitch steady with the stick. Essentially, you want to keep the E symbol, just to the left of the Velocity Vector, bracketing the Velocity Vector. If it is, you are "on speed" for your current weight, load-out, and so on. Once it's all set up, the AOA indicator (Left of the HUD) will show the Orange Circle the whole time. It's a way to verify everything is correct.

The little triangle pointing at the Velocity Vector on it's immediate right, is an indicator of what you are telling the plane's speed to do, with the throttles. Above the VV, you are telling to speed up, below it, slow down. If you telling it to speed up, the Velocity Vector will move UP the HUD, indicating you are sinking LESS rapidly, and of course, the opposite is true. And don't be afraid of the throttles, but also, you don't need to move them a lot. Just make small adjustments as needed to make yourself go to the right place. Are you too low, or too slow? Speed up a little. Too fast or too high, slow down a bit. Keep the Velocity Vector pointed at the #3 wire (on the carrier). They are numbered back of the boat towords the front.

When the carrier is moving, you want to aim the VV at the Groin, or the spot at the front of the boat where the angle deck sticks out a little bit. If you aim right where the angle deck meets the main part of the boat, at the front of it, so off to the right a little of the angle's center-line, then at the last minute, or "in close", kick the rudder a little to aim straight down the angle deck's centerline, the movement of the boat will move IT and YOU to the same point in space when you hit the #3 wire.

When everything is matched up on the HUD, the Velocity Vector, the E symbol, and the little triangle, with where you want to go, with the pitch trim at 8.1°, you will make a perfect, "on-speed" landing, or "trap" on a carrier. AND the AOA indicator will have the orange circle as a cross-check, all the way.

I hope all my babbling has given a little bit of help...

And so you know, NO, I seldom make a perfect trap. And believe you me, the AI LSO's in vLSO are real jerks. They tell you EVERY little tiny thing you do wrong. And the best possible landing you can get on a carrier, according to the vLSO is an OK 3 Wire. Notice the underline. THAT is a perfect landing, with a total of 4.0 points, from the break to touchdown. NO, I have yet to get any better than a 2.5 score, or OK 2 Wire. I am a lot better at giving advice than following it :p

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correction. The link I gave to the fa18C/D manual was an older version. It is not accurate for the 15.6 version discussed here.

Large differences. For example VC buttons that have very different functions now.

So don't go by that manual (was v12.3) for this plane (v15.6).

Apologies. Link now removed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:pilot:Pat, that info, combined with your fantastic info in the thread in the MSFS Screenshots Forum, helped a great deal.

I just completed a landing that felt really good.

I kept automatic trim on, takeoff at 160 knots as expected. :)

Then a quick dash to the ocean and placed ac carrier and made it sail.

Spoilers to slow down a bit when flying past the bridge, turned left at 200 knots.

Dropped gear and hook on downwind, and set half flaps.

Full flaps in the 'base' turn. (hook?)

Then 160knots all the way to the deck. Velocity vector within the 'E' and circle on th left shoiwing.

Only problem, to far over to the left. I did land but to far to the left and ended up at the left edge line, but, upright!

Oh, and trim was at 8.0 eventually, almost as advised.:)

Thanks, I owe you one, two, probably more.

il88pp:cool:

still ok.jpg

lef and low.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spoilers to slow down a bit when flying past the bridge, turned left at 200 knots.

Dropped gear and hook on downwind, and set half flaps.

Full flaps in the 'base' turn. (hook?)

Then 160knots all the way to the deck. Velocity vector within the 'E' and circle on th left shoiwing.

Only problem, to far over to the left. I did land but to far to the left and ended up at the left edge line, but, upright!

Looking great! Looks like you are getting it down fast (learning quickly, I mean LOL).

Again, though, if I may be so bold...

I see why you land so fast now! You are going in almost full fuel. I am not sure what load-out you use (I think you said A-A), but remember, the more you have on the wings, the less fuel you can have. Your touchdown weight shouldn't be any more than 33,000lbs. That's why I do my carrier work in the clean version. More fuel to play with and still stay below gross weight.

As you approach the carrier, at about 5 miles (I always place and sail the carrier at 10 miles in front to give me a little time), drop the hook. Your airspeed should be about 350 (roughly 83-84% throttle) when you pass the bridge or Island of the boat at 800'.

Throttle to idle, speedbrakes out, crank the plane at about 35° bank for the turn all the way around at the same altitude (or a "level break"), and at 250KIAS (about 1/2 way around the turn), spoiler in, gear down, full flaps. All at the same time. As the airpseed drops, run the pitch trim up a little at a time, to the 8.1° I keep harping on :) You will level out and need about 86-87% throttle to hold altitude, and when you pass the island again, you should be about 1.5-1.75 miles from the boat. Descend slowly to about 600', so when you pass the aft end of the boat you can start you turn, at about 27-30° angle of bank.

SLOWLY descend (about 2-300fpm) so you end the turn at about 3/4 of a mile to 1 mile aft of the boat, then watch the IFOLS (the BALL) and your HUD, and the AOA to guide you down.

Those pictures you posted look like a great start! Notice in the last one (in-close) you are way slow, with the E and the little triangle way below the Velocity vector, and the green arrow showing on the AOA indicator.

I know, it's an awful lot to do in a short period of time, it just takes HOURS of practice. You needed to make a little bit smaller throttle changes I think. If you can't salvage the landing in the correct manner, go around. Much more than a 700fpm sink rate and you would trash the gear (in a real plane) :D

NEVER "dive for the deck" or pitch down at the last minute. Better to go around and try again with a longer final approach. I know I have off days when I can't do it right no matter what I try, so I just go land on shore repeatedly :D

One last word, if I may. You still don't have the boat's frequency plugged in to the Up Front Control panel, or UFC. Just click the ILS button at the bottom of it, and use the keypad on it to punch in 11100 (enter). Notice, no decimal point. Just 11100 (enter). This will at least provide you with an arrow on the HUD, called a Steering Arrow. Gives you a quick glance to see which way you are traveling, relative to it. Like when you are going down the side, or downwind, the arrow will point directly behind you, when you are 1/2 way through the turn, it will either be above or below the Velocity Vector, pointing to one side or the other, depending on which turn you are in. You will also get a DME reading on the HUD, on the right, just below the Pitch Trim indication. Very handy thing to have. If you want ILS needles, just push the ILS ON button on the HUD Control Panel (shft+2). Obviously, once you have 11100 punched into the UFC.

But always follow the HUD and IFOLS (the BALL) inside 3/4 mile, not the ILS needles. You want the Ball to be a white dot in the middle of the green lines (DATUM lines). If it goes up, you are too high, if it goes down, too low.

Again, I babble a lot. I don't meant to be critical, since I certainly have NO room to be critical of anyone. I'm just trying to help out, if it is helping any at all :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Phantom that is a really advanced tutorial you just wrote on carrier landings. I wish I had it down pat enough to describe it so well. I am glad to hear I am not the only one that has off days when I just can not catch a wire.

At any rate as I evaluate this new plane I am really impressed with the detail. I do not recall any other plane that will turn the pilots head when turning the plane. I think that is a really awesome feature of this plane. It is really hard for me to believe it is freeware. I would love to see them do an F16 and or F14. Ok I guess I am just getting greedy now lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Hi Pat,

Do babble, by all means! It's good stuff you write!

Pattern: Mine was much wider. Will take a lot of practice to get in that close.

Weight: Yes, to much, I know. Full fuel with all the ordinance, A-A aircraft. Yet I had realism max, and crash detection on and didn't crash! I must be doing something right.:)

Frequency: will take a moment to set every thing up next time. Probably save a flight mid air and do many practice runs in Hawai.

Ball: Took me a while to see what you mean. I was thinking "does he mean the light on the boat?? It's tiny, I can see the colours change when "In the groove" (on glideslope), but only when very very close in.

I just got what you are saying. The Ball/Ifols are part of vLSO.

You get a 'Ball" prominently displayed and easier to read with that.

I haven't tried vLSO yet. But I saw this well described in the manual when I had a brief look in there. (I'll be sure to read that manual well before starting with vLSO, there's a lot going on in that program. Not something you want to have to concentrate on to much while approaching I think.)

Thank you for explaining. It's clear that this is an exceptional aircraft!

Lot's to discover still.:):)

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived