Preparing to Hit the Boat

BillD22

Here are a couple of shots of one of my favorite airplanes - the North American T-28 "Trojan" trainer

In a scene from the mid 60's 2 Navy T-28's fly by the USS Midway - the carrier assigned to training duty - in the Gulf of Mexico off Pensacola, Florida.

The student Navy pilots with their instructors in the rear seat are doing a fam flight to practice both formation flying and carrier landing pattern procedures prior to doing their first actual carrier landings - a major "make or break" milestone in the training pipeline known as "hitting the boat"

[click on the images for a full screen view]

t281.jpg

T282.jpg

Fantastic shots Bill! :cool:

Where is the USS Midway available?

Thanks John & Hornet - the Midway is available at Sim Outhouse - they've got a whole bunch of freeware carriers and other ships that work with the aicarriers program

Nice shots - I love the T-28 also (have 50 hrs in them).

Actually these are T-28Cs. The Navy had T-28Bs without hooks, T-28Cs for CarQuals. T-28Ds were built in the early 60's for use in Vietnam, also some foreign sales I believe.

The USAF used the T-28A with a smaller engine and 2-bladed prop.

Thanks John & Hornet - the Midway is available at Sim Outhouse - they've got a whole bunch of freeware carriers and other ships that work with the aicarriers program

Note to the AICarriers program users: There is a newer version of AICarriers. The old one is AICarriers.EXE. The new version is AICarriers.NET.

The new version is available in the General part of the FSDT Forums.

The new version uses less processor power, and less VSI. It was written specifically for FSX-SE, but I am pretty sure it will work fine with FSX Box version. I will check and report back asap. If desired, I can also link to the AICairriers.NET version download location.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Note to the AICarriers program users: There is a newer version of AICarriers. The old one is AICarriers.EXE. The new version is AICarriers.NET.

The new version is available in the General part of the FSDT Forums.

The new version uses less processor power, and less VSI. It was written specifically for FSX-SE, but I am pretty sure it will work fine with FSX Box version. I will check and report back asap. If desired, I can also link to the AICairriers.NET version download location.

Pat☺

Nice shots - I love the T-28 also (have 50 hrs in them).

Actually these are T-28Cs. The Navy had T-28Bs without hooks, T-28Cs for CarQuals. T-28Ds were built in the early 60's for use in Vietnam, also some foreign sales I believe.

The USAF used the T-28A with a smaller engine and 2-bladed prop.

Mike & Pat: Thanks for the good words and the correct model info.

Pat: please do post the aicarriers.net download link

Great shots! Served on the USS Lexington in the Gulf of Mexico from 71-73 and could always tell when the T-28s were in the pattern. Loved the sound! Thinking of buying the Ant T-28, but not sure which variant to get: B/C or the D. Any advice? Thx.

Great shots! Served on the USS Lexington in the Gulf of Mexico from 71-73 and could always tell when the T-28s were in the pattern. Loved the sound! Thinking of buying the Ant T-28, but not sure which variant to get: B/C or the D. Any advice? Thx.

Thanks g8tr! I'd suggest the B/C so you get the tailhook version and can make carrier landings :)

gr.jpg

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11293.msg86978.html#msg86978

It is the first post in the thread, so it's easy to find. It is for, and I quote:

supports Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration and SP2, Microsoft ESP, Lockheed Martin Prepar3D and Prepar3D v2, and Dovetail Games Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

He also gave a write-up on how/why his version is different/better.

I hadn't realized it, but the person that made it's user name is Orion. He is one of the mega-brains working on Jimi's FSX-BA Hornet project. They just released their v15.6, and it's beyond friggen amazing. I made a thread on it this morning...

In my most humble opinion, it puts every other hornet available to shame. But hey, what do I know? I DO know that a number of the development/beta testing team are real-world Hornet pilots, and THEY say it's as close as they've seen to how a real Hornet actually flies.

Just a little plug for it :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived