Is It Blasphemy?

ViperPilot2

Recently, I have been using the Sim with a... Gamepad. A Logitech Dual Control (for the PC). It has surprisingly good 'feel' once the Sensitivities are dialed in, I seem to have much better control, and it's very space conscious, too.

Is it heresy to use a Gamepad?

Yes, I have a CH Eclipse and a HOTAS X. But, I like the compactness of the Gamepad, and its small joystick(s).

Please... don't hurt me.

Alan :o

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Somewhat surprisingly, there are a hardful people here who have a very "puritan" attitude of what you "should" and "should not" do with FS. For example, I was heavily criticized for daring to help someone fly his WWII vintage taildragger via catapult/arrestor_wires off and on a modern nuclear carrier. Fortunately there are not a lot of these, and whilst they are of course entitled to their opinions, more to the point, they cannot access your PC or your mancave.

You do what works for you. If you need help, ask and ye shall receive. Those who don't like what you are doing are entitlede to say so, and that's where it ends. Having said that, they may well suggest a "better" way of achieving your end result, and that is worthy of consideration.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

There is a lot of experience available on this site. And that includes a lot of "real-world" (where-ever that may be!) pilots. Having said that, I have to agree with the Wombat there. It's YOUR system, and YOUR controller, and if it works well for you, then more power to you, I say. You aren't affecting anyone else, like say if you were to go driving down the wrong side of the freeway. THAT I would take issue with, but this? Pffft.

As we used to say in the Military: "...don't mean nuthin..."

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Totatlly agree 100%, as already said, it's on YOUR PC not theirs and if you like it then that's settled.

I too play about with fictional stuff, mix old world with new or whatever, it's fun and I like it.

I was on a particular forum once asking advice and what I was using was fictional, I got a strict reply, "There is no room for fiction on this site, you will be lucky to get an answer," so I didn't hang about to wait and see I left never to return.

I could go on with lots of niggles and I'm sure others will too.

I hereby decree that ViperPilot2 be exempted from being tried as a heretic for using a gamepad in a FLIGHT simulator. This decree is temporary until such time as he acquires a larger desk to accommodate a proper flight control thingy.

With this sceptre, a do so command - PRANG!

Make it so!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our thanks be unto you, Lord Willmot of Blairsville, but this heretic ViperPilot2 already has a proper flight control thingy! I once tried a PC Gamepad and couldn't get on with it at all. Therefore I hereby decree that all such devices be Instruments Of The Devil sir!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

NOOOOOOO!!

Lord gwillmot gave me his blessing, by way of the anointed PRANG. Therefore, until I witness a Papal Decree to the contrary, I shall consider myself immune to the callings of others.

Besides... I just got the tar and feathers out of my hair!

Alan :rolleyes:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Papal Decrees hold no sway with the Brotherhood of the Joystick Controller, Varlet Pilot! The pitchforks have been sharpened and the torches have been lit sir!

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If I'm facing the Pappal Joodisherarie, then as my Legal Counsel I call upon... Sir Belvedere!

3997883_std.jpg

Anyone who makes the correlation that ducks and witches are similar belongs on my Legal Team!

Alan :pilot:

EDIT: tiger... I'm NOT a varlet! LOL

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

African or European duck? :p

From Ye Sacred Scroll of Flyte Simulati (translated from the original Sanskrit):

"Let it be known all across the Land, that a true Knight of the Virtual Air shall be a Master of the Joystick Flight Controller Thingy, forsaking All Others as long as He shall live."

Rumour hath it that in certain quarters, ne'er-do-wells are even using RC transmitters to control their flight sim! 'Tis an Abomination I tell thee! A Pox on all their houses!

African or European duck? :p

From Ye Sacred Scroll of Flyte Simulati (translated from the original Sanskrit):

"Let it be known all across the Land, that a true Knight of the Virtual Air shall be a Master of the Joystick Flight Controller Thingy, forsaking All Others as long as He shall live."

Rumour hath it that in certain quarters, ne'er-do-wells are even using RC transmitters to control their flight sim! 'Tis an Abomination I tell thee! A Pox on all their houses!

In this context, a duck is a duck. I think you're referring to swallows. (EDIT)

I have decided to rage against the Mechaninati, and forsake the Flyte Simulati.

GAMEPADS FOREVER!! AAAH HAAA HAAA!!

Alan :cool:

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Let the Crusades begin, Sire! (You were close with sparrows, I believe it was swallows btw).

But putting Monty Python and the Holy Grail aside for a moment, I wonder if anyone has tried FS9/X/P3D with a touch screen in W10 yet? W8 was better than W7 apparently, but only for FMC functions, not so great in the full VC...

What say you and the Mechaninati about that, Sir Alan of Denver?

Throw off thy yoke, Simmer, and rise? Or is it Sinner then? I don't know.

I'm no expert on this, but shouldn't one throw in a couple of Hail Mary's from time to time? Lest you get hairy palms or something.

Wonder what that guy was thinking anyway, who coined the term Joy-Stick a hundred or so years ago (not that 'yoke' is any better). I mean, come on. Pleasure rod? Gaiety pole? Happy post?

... Giggling Pin is another term used in this region of the UK. But what else would you expect to find in a cockpit, virtual or otherwise? And who named it THAT I wonder? The ancient scribes who wrote Ye Sacred Scrolls are a mystery to us...

I have heard all arguments both ye and nay .... and considered them with equal weight of balance. I hereby decree by the title granted to me (in an earlier transcription), the following and most just proclamation:

All to the Dungeon of the Flying Sus!

So it be written on this date for the glory of the Thingy of the Kingdom!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thy Will Be Done, my Liege! Errr.... is it my turn to wear the POV Hat next? I haven't had a go for ages...

Archived