Configuring Saitek equipment for FSX

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing a complete system reinstall. As part of that process I'm reinstalling FSX Steam and all of its components and add-ons. It's been some time since I've configured my Saitek equipment for FSX and I've run into a few issues.

1. I installed SPAD for my Saitek panels (radio panel, switch panel, and multi panel). I launch SPAD before launching FSX:SE and the panels go through their light-up routine (for lack of a better term). However, when I start a flight in FSX all my panels are unavailable to me. I have not installed the Saitek drivers for these panels as I am under the impression SPAD is a replacement for those drivers.

2. I have a Saitek throttle quadrant. I plugged it into my PC to let Windows detect it (no Saitek drivers installed). When I start a flight, I can use the main throttle (black lever) but the red and blue levers (mixture and prop?) do not work.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. As stated, I have currently not installed any Saitek drivers, I've just used the Windows default one. I ran into issues with the Saitek drivers during my first install and I was under the impression that they did not need to be installed. If that is not the case, please let me know or advise how I can proceed to get the above items resolved. As always, thank you so much for your help. Your time and feedback is appreciated!

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

I have sort of the same problem. Other than I downloaded fsx for the first time and installed the saitek cd that came with the panels and the lights worked but when I clicked fly now it loaded and then crashed. So I'd appreciate it to if someone would tell us how to get these to work.

1. SPAD is based on FSUIPC - do you have it installed too?

2. Does Windows calibration show these axis moving? Did you configure them in FSX:SE controls setup?

My apologies for the delayed response - it has been a hectic week.

1. Yes I do have the purchased version of FSUIPC. EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I realize that FSUIPC is not launching with FSX, which may very likely be the cause of my panels not starting b/c SPAD depends on FSUIPC. I am trying to troubleshoot the issue now.

2. I'm confused by this question. When I go to the Control Axes tab in FSX:SE > Settings > Controls I cannot select the Throttle Quadrant or any of the Panels in the Controller Type? I apologize if I misunderstood what you are asking.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

Ok, so I've installed an updated version of FSUIPC (v 4.9.4.4) and my panels are working correctly.

However on my throttle quadrant, the red and blue levers still have no functionality and I see no way to map that in the Controls section of FSX Steam, because I can't choose the Throttle Quadrant as a Controller Type.

Also when I setup the key assignment for my Saitek Elevator Trim on the Elevator trim axis event, it showed up as X Axis (instead of Trim as I believe it did last time during my previous install).

I have not installed any Saitek drivers, as I ran into issues with them during my previous FSX Steam install. However, I'm wondering now if the drivers for the Saitek controllers (Cessna Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Elevator Trim, and Throttle) are necessary? I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or suggestions on this. Thank you very much!

2. I'm confused by this question. When I go to the Control Axes tab in FSX:SE > Settings > Controls I cannot select the Throttle Quadrant or any of the Panels in the Controller Type? I apologize if I misunderstood what you are asking.

Windows itself has a control panel function to calibrate "USB game controllers" (just type "controller" in the search box). If you can see the controllers there and the axis are moving in the test window, then they basically work. If you cannot see them there or if something is not moving then the controller is either broken or Windows did not recognize it (try different USB ports and/or a driver update)

Windows itself has a control panel function to calibrate "USB game controllers" (just type "controller" in the search box). If you can see the controllers there and the axis are moving in the test window, then they basically work. If you cannot see them there or if something is not moving then the controller is either broken or Windows did not recognize it (try different USB ports and/or a driver update)

Thank you for the clarification. I believe I have solved this issue - it was a combination of 3 things:

1. I had a version of FSUIPC installed that was not supported for FSX Steam.

2. I did not realize that you had to program the throttle controls through the Saitek Yoke Controller Type in FSX Settings.

3. I had "Trim" mapped elsewhere for the Saitek Elevator. Deleting the assignment and remapping it to the correct Event worked.

I appreciate the feedback on this issue!

Glad you sorted it out.

As you now have the paid for version of FSUIPC you could start using its unique features.

You could disable all external controllers in the FSX menu completely (untick the checkbox) and map&calibrate all of them through FSUIPC. It has a profile-function built in, that lets you set up the external controls individually for every plane you have. Over time I came to appreciate this feature very much. Example: for a jetliner I am using the yoke to steer and my joystick as tiller on the ground (also a feature of FSUIPC), thrust levers on my right. But for a fighter jet I use the joystick for steering, the yoke is removed and I have different fighter-type thrust levers on my left (HOTAS configuration).

Archived