Finger hovering over the W10 update!

HoratioWondersocks

Hello

I don't really need the the update at present.Everything running well using W8.1.

However! Curiosity killed the fact factor is playing here, plus the nagging of Msoft and now H.Packard to do the Deed is somewhat irritating.

My question ...If! I experience real problems after I install 10 can I truly and without hassleoo ,definitely ,absolutely roll back to 8.1 and be back working completely as I was ,before cat curiosity got the better of me.

Andy

If you use FS2004 it will not work in Windows 10 without modifications not approved of by this forum. No software that requires a disc inserted before it will work is supported as Microsoft have decided that this security measure is now a security risk.

In theory you can roll back and many have done that without issue but not all have. So nobody can answer your question with certainty.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Andy,

I've read both sides of the coin, here and at other FS Forums. Take heed to what John said, because it's a real issue. Read what's out there, then ask yourself... do you really need to upgrade?

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Why fix something that isn't broke?

I've read too many posts about people having problems with 10, I have another PC and I tried it on that, after a very short while I rolled back and got rid of it.

It isn't only FS where problems arise, I've read things where people have not been able to run other software (Not Games) after upgrading to 10, I would stay away from it mate.

If you use FS2004 it will not work in Windows 10 without modifications not approved of by this forum. No software that requires a disc inserted before it will work is supported as Microsoft have decided that this security measure is now a security risk.

In theory you can roll back and many have done that without issue but not all have. So nobody can answer your question with certainty.

John

Old hand .No disc 4 worries, know the score.

Nudgery nudge.

A.

You ain't seen me .

Shhhhh

You will not receive any support for some add-on issues running a known hacked copy of FS2004.

DJ

Really? Aren't you just getting a wee bit carried away there?

Reality check time. MOST people know the score around here and terror tactics don't do much anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have now just read a real crock of codswallop, also known as rubbish!

I just updated to Windows 10 without any problems at all. (well, a little hassle that was easily sorted out).

My 2x versions of Fs2004 work perfectly. They actually seem a little quicker to load as well.

The second version was a clean copy of fs2004 that I had on my prtable drive that I just dumped straight into the C: drive.

The only littlle problem, probably just me, was when FS9 loaded, it came up with a ' DirectPlay' error. I clicked ok, the notice went away & FS9 started.

DirectPlay is needed for networking, & the Network Setting in FS2004 was greyed out

This was easily sorted out by going to:

Settings, Programs & Features, Turn Windows features on or off,Legacy Components, DirectPlay.

It took quicker to do than to explain! You might need to do this sequence 2-3 times.

Network Setting no longer greyed out!

So, not one other issue.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hello All

If I decide to cancel my current download of 10 ,when I resume the download

Will it continue from the point of cancellation or start from the beginning again.

I want to fly tonight ,but at current download speed it's going to be about midnight UK before the file is ready.

Cheers Andy.

Just so we keep my Post on track.

Newsflash!!

From Horatio Towers

W10 download has reached 95%

Tension is mounting .

Brows are mopped/furrowed .

Installation has begun.

Yes! I can confirm that installation has indeed begun.

This is one small step for an Horatio,

One giant pull up for his socks.

I can report that as usual the incredibly fast tool that is the modern PC is working at its customary snails pace to accomplish its task .......

Unfortunately we have come to the end of Andy's live installation news report for the moment, but stay tuned for more exciting developments as Socks goes 'TEN LIVE' on HWSR .

Signing of for now.

Good grief this is SLOW .

Andy

Latest news

No go chaps.

Couldn't get fs9 to run with windows 10.

To many problems to explain.

Still glad I tried.

Hope rollback works.

Andy

Not going to be critical of 10.

Hopefully in future something will be sorted out.

Roll back seems to have worked.

And the roll back process was very quick.

Not so the download and installation of ten.

Four hrs or so download.

Another hour half installation.

Hrs more tinkering.

Started about 3.30 PM now as I type this approaching midnight.

Have just started Fs9 after rollback (to late to fly now), but it started correctly as did Asky ,and other addons

So hopefully nothing messed by my upgrading attempt.

Have to admit it was nice to see 'old' 8.1 again.

Ten seemed slower to start than 8 ,part from that to little time spent with 10 to comment otherwise.

Won't be totally happy that rollback has worked until I make a flight test tomorrow.

It does appear that all is well though, and apart from aching head ,sore eyes etcetcetc you all know what I mean.

Hopefully no harm done.

Cheers somewhat disappointed ,but glad iam back with 9 and 8.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about the non install.

My Windows 10 upgrade of my Windows 7 laptop (i5, 64bit, 4GB Ram) was perfect, & my 2x versions of FS9 works perfectly. The 2nd install was done after the W10 update.

The W10 install on my Windows 8.1 laptop not so nice, but that laptop is a Celeron, 64bit 2GB Ram. The install went fine, however, the new windows 10 Start button did not work at all. The roll-back to Windows 8.1 went perfectly.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about the non install.

My Windows 10 upgrade of my Windows 7 laptop (i5, 64bit, 4GB Ram) was perfect, & my 2x versions of FS9 works perfectly. The 2nd install was done after the W10 update.

The W10 install on my Windows 8.1 laptop not so nice, but that laptop is a Celeron, 64bit 2GB Ram. The install went fine, however, the new windows 10 Start button did not work at all. The roll-back to Windows 8.1 went perfectly.

Cheers,

Robin

Hello Robin.

Although my installation was a no go, iam just pleased that roll back got me back to 8.1 and fs9(haven't actually tried a flight yet )but it certainly appears to be fine IE Fs9 started correctly ,as did Asky fueloader and all addons I use.

I was quite surprised at the speed of the roll back process ; having spent hours downloading 10, ages installing it and even more ages as PC started ,shut own ,restarted ,shut down etc etc in this long winded process;my mood not being improved by screen messages telling me to relax as all this was going on.

Anyways ! I assumed that roll back would take for ever as for most PC tasks usually (ime ) always do.

But it didn't ,a pleasant surprise.

PS

I wonder how many hrs over the last fifteen years I have spent watching download /installation bars inching slowly across PC screens.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

Funny that you say that, we were talking on Saturday of how many miles/kilometers of bars moving. lol.

Yup, My install on my W8.1.. 2 days of install & updates!! & 20 minutes of roll-back!

I should check to see whats left behind! Have a look at the first 2 folders in the C:\, if you have folders unhidden!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived