Hour change according to time zone

westway

I can't seem to find data relating to how I can have my flight time change when I select a airport, i.e., if I am in the US and it's 7:35 am and I select to fly out of Heathrow then I am expecting to see my take off time for the appropriate UK hour, however what I am seeing is my time 7:35 am. Can someone tell me how to correct this in FSX so it happens automatically? Thank you.

Let's say you live in New York USA.

Time in New York is 7.35. (On the clock on your wall/and on the PC in Windows.)

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. Greenwich Time is a standard Time. It is based on a Location in London. The suburb Greenwich. That was where the time measurement system was based on.

The earth, when cut horizontally, is (generally) a circle.

A circle is 360 degrees.

Every 360/24 degrees, we get one hour time difference. (15 degrees)

Greenwich was selected as the "0 point". Then measuring from there.

Reason: There is a very important obsevatory telescope located there.

Back to the beginning.

Let's say you live in New York USA. Time in New York is 7.35. (On the clock on your wall/and on the PC in Windows.)

Then look up on the internet: "New York GMT".

You will find; New York time is GMT -4 hours.

(Or in another way, Greenwich time is New york time plus four hours.)

You only need to look that time difference up once, then remember it.

Now, wherever you start your flight.

Look at the clock in your living room, and add 4 hours.

That gives you GMT.

Enter GMT time in the "Time and Season" box.

The time at your location will be set to the correct time.

In this example it will be early afternoon in London, In New York at that time it's 7.35.

This method works weather your flight starts in London, Vancouver, Delhi, or anywhere else.

------

By the way, GMT is not exactly the same as London time I think. They are sometimes the same, but I believe GMT does not follow daylight saving time.

So they are the same either in Winter or in Summer, but not both.

----

You'd think there would be an easyer way, but I have not found it.

------

There is one other way. But I don't like that at all. You could:

Go to your local airport.

So if you live in New York, start the flight parked on the runway at KJFK.

And use "reset time" or set the time to the current local time.

Then:

Press for the menu bar.

World -- Select Airport.

Then go to where you really want to start your flight.

The time will be changed along with the location.

--------

Enjoy,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now that my head is twirling around on my shoulders after that explanation, let's see if I can paint a different picture. On my Freeflight screen, my default flight starts at KSNA-John Wayne airport in Southern California. Note the time and my actual location, sitting here on my computer is in the same time zone. I then choose to start a flight at Heathrow airport, London. Note the time change to correspond to the actual time in London, England.

Default flight

Default flight.JPG

Chosen flight

Heathrow chosen.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

ooh la laaah.;)

Yes, but my default flight is "ultralight at Friday Harbour".

If I start the preset time is my local time (=system time, is time on wall clock). Assume 14.00 hr. All as I would like it.

But location is friday harbour!!

Now I choose London.

Time changes to 04.00 at night or something. :(:( Outside my window the sun is still there.

To get things back in order I will:

look at my watch.

calculate GMT.

enter GMT into time and season.

press 'fly now'.

Works wherever, whenever.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, I wasn't sure if the default flight had an affect on the situation. I guess it does. The easy solution for the OP is to make a new "Default Flight" and use a starting location in his own timezone location, assuming he is using the Ultralight at Friday Harbor, and he does not live in Washington State. Then no matter where in the world he starts a flight, the time will be correct.

I'm going to be a bit pigheaded now.

I think my way is "the better way" here.

Let's say you do a short flight first. iIn the RW afternoon. but you set time and date to dusk, for the light effects.

You land somewhere, park, pause fsx, and go and fry up a steak and tatties.

After dinner, and some coffee, you wander past the pc again and want to fly on.

---But what time to set ???? ---

Look at watch,

calculate GMT,

etc.

Much better then having to restart fsx...

Plus, it gives you a good feel for distances. Knowing the timezones, knowing what time it is now anywhere in the world, gives you a feel for how far these places are.

You will be able to know in advance at what local time you will arrive somewhere after flying for 3000 NM over the ocean.

for example.

depart London 14.00 -- 3000Nm=7-8hr flight --- Time now NY = 14.00-4.00 = 10.00 AM NY time --- Arrival will be 17.00 to 18.00 Local NY (10.00 + 7/8).

Time zone map.

Notice at the top: 0 degrees is line through Greenwich London. Total is 360 degrees, all the way around the world.

https://stephenliddell.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/international-timezones.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, less pigheaded. Your solution is also good of course.

But knowing the difference between my local time and GMT has come in so handy so many times, I just get a bit exited.

Let's say you live in New York.

You know New York is GMT-4

(or GMT is New York time +4 hrs)

You listen to the news, its about Delhi. You hear that Delhi is GMT +5.30

You immediately realise Delhi is 9-and-a-half time zone away, to the east.

Basically, Delhi time is New York time +9.30

You now know Delhi is closer going east around the globe then west.

You look at your clock, it is day in new York, 13.00 PM.

You now know that in Delhi the time is 22.30 in the evening.

You also have a feel for the distance.

such fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

. Can someone tell me how to correct this in FSX so it happens automatically? Thank you.

Also for il88pp. This is why I suggest for the OP to redo his default flight. All of my flights are an hour and a half or less. No restarting another flight after I land. Once I land, that flight is done.

To each, his own;)

... so it happens automatically ...

I overlooked that bit....

Then you're spot on, the default flight is the way to go, (as long as he set's it up correctly, so there's no funny buisiness with engines not starting and autopilotas still on;). Seen to many of those;) )

Happy flights, il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just get in and fly. Then it's either 'DAYTIME' or 'NIGHTIME'. Problem solved. Why do you need to know what 'hour,minute,second' it is? It's time to go flying, that's what time it is.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Also for il88pp. This is why I suggest for the OP to redo his default flight. All of my flights are an hour and a half or less. No restarting another flight after I land. Once I land, that flight is done.

To each, his own;)

Thank you for the back and forth banter, however a simple, can't be done automatically or can be done would have sufficed. But it was fun reading the attempt at one upmanship. Sometimes to much is really to much. Thanks.

Thank you for the back and forth banter, however a simple, can't be done automatically or can be done would have sufficed. But it was fun reading the attempt at one upmanship. Sometimes to much is really to much. Thanks.

OK, It can be done! As explained in my post about setting up your default flight in your timezone and making sure you have "Use system time for Free Flight" checked! Is that simple enough for ya?

The back and forth bantering happens when the OP asks his question then runs and hides under his bed for a day or so.

No, it happens when people write books to solve a simple problem and then the book is totally wrong.

And no it is not the OPs fault that he/she doesn't hang out here 24/7 waiting with baited breath for all these pearls of wisdom to appear here. It's only been about 24 hours since the first post. People do have lives away from the internet believe it or not.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived