Flying more like real-world pilots do....

mdavenport

I've been flying the PMDG 737 for sometime now and am looking for ways to make my experience more like the real world.

This is typically what I do when flying:-

- I use PFPX to plan the flight. I only really use this for the waypoints I need to follow. I also save this out as a PMDG flight plan to enter in the CDU

- I then start FSX, load PMDG & departure airport and gate - setting weather to real world weather. I vary the time as sometimes want a sunset or sunrise etc.

- I start with the default panel state

- I program the FMC by entering the Co Route [DEPT][ARR]01 as created by PFPX, PERF INIT, TAKEOFF. I also select a STAR for arrival and chose a runway. Sometime I will use a SID and other times I will simply use first way point. I don't tend to use the FSX flight plan which I also create in PFPX

- I work out my fuel using the PROG button in the FMC and then add RESERVES and enter this into the FMC part that controls fuel. I also set Payload close to that assigned in the PFPX process

- I don't used the built in ATC to navigate me, I just use the PFPX route

- I push back using the PMDG push back

- Sometimes I get clearance from ATC to taxi and depart straight out and other times I just go!!

- Once in the air I fly following the flight director lines for a bit whilst cleaning up the aircraft (FLAPS, GEAR lever etc) and then I put AP on and use LNAV and VNAV to do the flight...

- Then I go and watch TV and keep popping back to the flight - usually a 2-3 hour flight

- I use pause at TD

- I descend using the FMC flight plan and set AUTOBRAKES, LANDING SPEED/FLAPS (just use 40 Flaps), ARM SPOILER, FLAPS, capture LOC and use APP, GEAR DOWN etc..

- Then at about 2000ft I disable AT and AP and fly in manually and land by following the papi lights

- I then park at a gate and end the flight...

What would you add/change to make my experience more engaging and closer to real world?

I thought I could start and configure the plane from dark and cold... but this isn't done for every flight in the real world, however engines are not normally running when flights change over - is there a panel state that is usual for a change over state?

I wonder if I should be using ATC more and also should I consider VATSIM (not sure if I am ready for that yet)...

Should I be understanding the flight planning more, fuel, payload etc?

I would be interested to know what I could introduce to make this more realistic?

I am also thinking if investing in a jetmax solution to further enhance things. I already have the TQ and CDU, just waiting for the MCP+EFIS before I go for the rest.

Thanks

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Monitor: 3 x 23" IPS NVidia Surround 5880x1024, 1 x 19" 16:9

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

For realism you could get MultiCrewExperience or FS2Crew, because in the real world you are never alone in the cockpit (except in very extreme circumstances).

Second, there is no going away or watching TV in the real world...

ATC: how about loading your flightplan into ATC too and let them do their job? Btw, if you had MCE you could let your FO talk to them, which would be more realistic as well.

And you never just do what you feel like in RW. "I just go" does not happen (or only once in your career). So if you want realism, start adhering to the procedures, saftey measures and especially ATC commands. A RW pilot seldom does the flight or fuel planning, he gets his package ready made from the dispatcher. His job is to make sure the planning adds up and that he can comply with it. After all, everything is about the most important resource today: fuel (equalling money). Your job as a pilot is just to drive the thing, safely, quickly and efficiently. Sounds boring? Could be. Just imagine going the same route between the same airfields every day for weeks/months/years on end. And every time going through the same motions, walking aorund the same aircraft, talking through the same departures and arrivals with your FO (who has flown this route just as many times as you have), watching the FMC flying the exact same route...

On the other hand, I think that we are lucky that simming does not have to be 100% realisitc. Like, when you crash the plane, the addon uninstalls itself and invalidates the license. That would be quite the kick. And if it was a passenger plane, the next license will cost more than the last one. :)

Look into flying online with Vatsim. Real people are controllers so you can't really leave the "cockpit" or else you'll be in trouble if they can't contact you, lol.

More seriously, you'll need to learn real lingo, not "press one to acknowledge". So you'll definitely feel more like a real pilot then..

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

..What would you add/change to make my experience more engaging and closer to real world?

FSX can be as simple or as complex as you want.

I prefer "simple" which means I can just jump in the cockpit, slam open the throttle and I'm away, I don't need no steenkin ATC and beacons and stuff!

You haven't lived til you've flown a 747 by the seat of your pants and eyeballs alone..:)

Airport 1975-

Kennedy- "She's flying it herself!"

Heston- "Climb baby, climb!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/airport-75B_zpswmrygl75.jpg~original

I've been wondering when and if someone would devise a way to select PA on the audio panel and allow you to make PAs to your virtual pax in the cabin. I know, it seems pointless, but it could enable you to make PAs.

Also, like most have mentioned, we have dispatchers to create the flight plan, determine fuel load, and provide current NOTAMs and WX. Unfortunately, FSX has no way to implement NOTAMs since that would involve changing the whole FSX airport database every single day. Also, we don't really have dispatchers at our finger tips. (luckily I can get releases for flights on many fleet types, but I can't release them since its probably a SSI issue) BTW, the plan fuel loads for RW flights somewhat match with PMDG. There are varibles that cause them not to be 100% correct like WX and probably pilot technique.

Not sure why there isn't a program or website that will create flight releases for you? But look into that. So far it sounds like you almost got it close to the real thing. Maybe the only other thing is communications between pilots dispatcher, pilots station personnel, pilots cabin crew, etc. Good question though!

I've been wondering when and if someone would devise a way to select PA on the audio panel and allow you to make PAs to your virtual pax in the cabin. I know, it seems pointless, but it could enable you to make PAs.

Prerecorded announcements, similar to what you're talking about. It does work in FSX; same install procedure. There's also airline specific announcements available. (Southwest and Delta)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=39878906

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Prerecorded isn't that real for cockpit crew PAs. When I do RW PAs I don't hold a tape player up next to the boom mic. I'm thinking of more of an enhancement to flying the sim instead of flipping the seatbelt sign on/off. Throw in a little "Ladies and gentlemen it seems we have found a patch of rough air. Please return to your seats with your seat belts fasten. Currently showing xxx miles to go. Estimated arrival time at the gate xxxx, local time." Or whatever the player wants to say.

Thanks for all the replies guys...

So in summary it seems the best next thing to do is use ATC more and properly.

Looking at what you have said, I seem to have the following options:-

1. Use FSX ATC in conjunction with my PFPX flight plan

2. Get a 3rd party addon like FSCrew2 or MultiCrewExperience - does this have good ATC?

3. Use VATSIM

I think the increased realness will come from verbally speaking/requesting instructions so I assume VATSIM or MultiCrewExperience as I understand these allow verbal comms?

Also, do either of these instruct you to use certain STARS and SIDS?

When listening to ATC I assume you ignore your flight plan until they instruct you to follow it?

Thanks

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

2. Get a 3rd party addon like FSCrew2 or MultiCrewExperience - does this have good ATC?

They do not have any ATC at all.

FS2Crew is crew procedures only, albeit very sophisticated.

MCE is more universal and has a wider range of verbal commands (you can even create your own). It lets you talk to default ATC, RC4 and PFE, or command you FO to do it for you. And a million other things.

I suggest you watch some youtube videos about these products (frooglesim for FS2Crew and David Herky for MCE) so you get a better idea.

Also, do either of these instruct you to use certain STARS and SIDS?

RC4 or PFE don't do this (although it would be pretty easy to implement a function that assigns you a SID - the hard part is to teach the program to check if you are following it...). VATSIM maybe?

But, AFAIK this is not done spontaneously in RW anyway. SID and sometimes STAR are already part of the flight package you get from dispatch, and they cleared it with ATC beforehand. The clearance you get from ATC as a pilot is the final "go" that all stations on the way and your destination ATC are aware of your flight. Some airlines even use the same SID/STARs on the route all the time, except the weather is completely crazy.

When listening to ATC I assume you ignore your flight plan until they instruct you to follow it?

Thanks

Yes. ATC instructions override any planning you might have. The pilot flying of course has the final authority, but unless you are in a dire emergency situation you should not try to deviate from the instructions. And at all times you have to tell ATC what you are doing and why you deviate. But even without fuel or fire or engine out, you will have to obey their commands, no two ways about it. The only ticket out of this is the magical word "unable"...

I tried the above link from kingnorris and it said no files found....????? I tried it twice...al v

I'm a dummy. I completely forgot to read instructions on how to properly link downloads. Duh!

Anyway, the file name is fdsfxpanel. Type that into the search under FS2004.

Prerecorded isn't that real for cockpit crew PAs. When I do RW PAs I don't hold a tape player up next to the boom mic. I'm thinking of more of an enhancement to flying the sim instead of flipping the seatbelt sign on/off. Throw in a little "Ladies and gentlemen it seems we have found a patch of rough air. Please return to your seats with your seat belts fasten. Currently showing xxx miles to go. Estimated arrival time at the gate xxxx, local time." Or whatever the player wants to say.

I do that anyway. Yes, I'm essentially talking to myself, but so what. Lol

Ok sounds like MCE may be the way to go enabling me to speak to ATC (albeit the built in FSX ATC).

How do RC4 and PFE compare to the default FSX ATC? Is this a worthy investment? Does this introduce verbal instructions for ATC (without MCE?).

The question then comes down to MCE+a form of ATC or VATSIM?

Ok sounds like MCE may be the way to go enabling me to speak to ATC (albeit the built in FSX ATC).

How do RC4 and PFE compare to the default FSX ATC? Is this a worthy investment? Does this introduce verbal instructions for ATC (without MCE?).

The question then comes down to MCE+a form of ATC or VATSIM?

RC4 or PFE do not offer any voice recognition.

If you want to talk to default ATC, RC4 or PFE you need MCE which does the voice recognition part for all three. There are other ATC apps that offer voice recognition, but only for their own purposes (VOXATC?).

For starters, just getting MCE is enough, you will have plenty to learn to master even default ATC (which isn't so bad as some people make it). On top of that come the checklists, ground or crew interaction, or anything you build yourself into MCE.

The next step should be RC4, because it is easier to handle than PFE.

Does you system fulfil the requirements for MCE? Windows Speech recognition set to "English US"? (be careful with that, not all Windows versions let you do that - just make sure you can before you buy MCE) A good headset with noise cancelling microphone is imperative. This venture unfortunately is no "install and have fun" affair. You are looking a quite some time training the voice recognition until it understands you well enough to be enjoyable. And you will need something where you can read the checklists from when you go through them with your FO (I'm using a tablet for this).

MCE sounds good.

I'll take a look at the youtube videos...

In terms of checklists, I have an iPad I can read them on. What format does MCE supply them in?

The documents have various formats, depending on who wrote them (PDF, plain text, Doc). But you can convert any format into PDF by using PDFCreator or CutePDF. That's what I did.

Most are really "flows", covering the whole flight operation. They are organized in three colums:

"Your actions - Your Commands - FO Actions"

that is why you need them open on a second device, so you won't get lost. The iPad will do nicely.

MCE will work with any airplane you have, but it has some preset SOPs too for the major addons like the NGX. It is not as sophisticated as FS2Crew as the SOP goes, but still pretty realistic. I have both products actually - you can turn features on and off in MCE. FS2Crew is for the flight deck and cabin flows, and MCE for talking to ATC. But that is a matter of taste. Have fun with the vidoes. David Herky is using RC4 with MCE so you will get a pretty good insight. Just be aware that he modified the procedures and uses his own sound snippets sometimes. Plus I suspect some of the videos were edited, because sometimes the same announcement is played multiple times, which is only the case if you make it so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So tonight I simply planned a flight using PFPX from EIDW (Dublin) to EGBB (Birmingham). The route gave me a SID and flight path to near to EGBB but it didn't give me a STAR or intercept point to EGBB.

I created this plan for PMDG and FSX and loaded it into both plane and FSX.

As per the advise I simply followed instructions from the default ATC.

What I found was my CDU route ended with no route for the LNAV/VNAV to follow to EGBB, instead I simply changed my heading and altitude as per ATC instructions.

This guided me to RWY 33 to intercept the LOC and land which was fine.

This was all well and good but I made note of the following which I would like your real world views on:-

1. Should ATC have given me a STAR?

2. how should I have joined my last waypoint in the CDU to the RWY (or shouldn't I if ATC didn't give me a STAR to?)

3. ATC had me descend to 2000 but they never told me any speed restrictions and I noticed at 7000 that my IAS was still 320 knots (needless to say I slowed down to 250 or below)... Should ATC control my speed?

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks

1. Should ATC have given me a STAR?

Not in FS, FS ATC knows nothing about SIDs and STARs.

3. ATC had me descend to 2000 but they never told me any speed restrictions and I noticed at 7000 that my IAS was still 320 knots (needless to say I slowed down to 250 or below)... Should ATC control my speed?

Nope, not in FS. Fly as fast as you want.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

What would I need to do both SID/STARS and speed control/limits?

Do I need a 3rd party one like Radar Contact?

If so can you recommend any over this one? What about VATSIM? Is this worth getting into for a better ATC experience?

What would I need to do both SID/STARS and speed control/limits?

Do I need a 3rd party one like Radar Contact?

If so can you recommend any over this one? What about VATSIM? Is this worth getting into for a better ATC experience?

Yes, RC4 will control your speed, but it doesn't care about SID/STAR either. But you can tell RC4 that you plan to use any departure/arrival procedures and it will leave you alone while you fly them. SID you do in advance when starting RC4, the STAR you can do on the fly, by requesting an IAP approach to your desired Runway. RC4 is very flexible with this, and has a lot of other nice functions too (like requesting any runway you want, declaring emergencies, requesting direct to a waypoint, etc.).

I may be writing this a little too soon but just watched a couple of videos on RC4 and have to say the sound of the ATC speaking was very much like a robot...

Is this normal?

I may be writing this a little too soon but just watched a couple of videos on RC4 and have to say the sound of the ATC speaking was very much like a robot...

Is this normal?

Unfortunately it is. There is a freeware voice pack (called "MeatWater" I think), that makes them sound better. With it they are just a little worse than stock ATC.

The voices are the strong suit of PFE (with the additional voice pack), in that program they even have the correct accents. And even stock ATC is actually very good when it comes to that. But both are lacking a bit in procedures, that is where RC4 shines.

So is RC4 still considered the best ATC addon?

Don't know about "best", as I have only PFE and RC4 - those that work with MCE basically. I constantly switch between them. But RC4 does what you asked for, and the functionality outweighs the weak voices IMHO. It is not that bad with the Meatwater pack either. I think David Herky has that combo in his videos.

Archived