Custom Splash Screen Not Showing

firehawk936

Hey Flightsim Community,

Ive attempted to create a new splash screen for fsx as i was getting bored of the old one.

I converted it to Bitmap (bmp), named it correctly (dlgsplash), and put it in the correct folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Uires).

But I still have a couple of questions that could be causing it to not show on startup:

-Does the resolution have to be a certain size?

I have it at 800x600. Ive seen people on youtube create splash screens with proportions like 820x620 and them showing that it works, but the default one is set at 800x602. Just wondering if this is a factor?

-Does the color bit it is exported with matter?

Some people say you have to export it in 24 bit, while others say you have to export it in 16 bit otherwise it wont work?

If these two questions are not the issue, is there anything else you guys can think of that could be causing this? Alpha channels maybe? I used gimp create and export the splash screen.

Thanks to the greatest community for helping me :)

-Josh

17" 1920x1080 Laptop Display | Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (FSX) | NVIDIA GTX 860M (P3D v4) | Intel® Core i7-4810MQ CPU @2.80GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My dlgsplash.bmp is 774X517 (1.14MB) and is in 32bit color, same as my screen.

Thats weird, so i guess it can work with 32 bit.. not sure why mine is not working. Ive tried 16bit 24bit and 32bit and none of those fixed the issue of it not showing up.

17" 1920x1080 Laptop Display | Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (FSX) | NVIDIA GTX 860M (P3D v4) | Intel® Core i7-4810MQ CPU @2.80GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats weird, so i guess it can work with 32 bit.. not sure why mine is not working. Ive tried 16bit 24bit and 32bit and none of those fixed the issue of it not showing up.

Dumb question....what did you do with the original dlgsplash.bmp? Rename it or take it out of the Uires folder?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Dumb question....what did you do with the original dlgsplash.bmp? Rename it or take it out of the Uires folder?

Lol its not dumb, i just renamed it dlgsplash1.bmp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have an idea, but, I may be barking up the wrong paddleboat...

A little while ago I made some bitmaps for a gauge.

I made them in gimp.

But whatever I tried, the gauge wouldn't show up in fsx.

Then, I opened one of them them in paint, sort of by accident.

And saved them from there.

(I think I may have also changed from 24bit to 256 colurs, but I don't think that's what mattered.)

What did matter is when I saved from paint I got

a message that: "Possible transparency will be lost when saving this file."

hey!

And next a message: "The colour quality may be worse when saving this image in this format" (that message is because of 256 colours).

It turned out that the images created with gimp (and with inkscape) contain transparency!

So I opened every image in paint and saved it. From then on the images (the gauge) showed up just fine in fsx.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get this fixed?

Hey il88pp, Firstly i wanted to apologize big time for not reponding sooner, just got a lot goin on right now, sorry for keeping you waiting!!

But YES!! Saving it as BMP in paint worked!! thanks so much!! Ill have to figure out how to remove alpha channels in gimp now lol!

Thanks for the help man! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived