Anyone using Windows 10 and P3D?

BS616

Just curious, I have been busy so out of the loop for a bit was wondering how P3D was working in Windows 10...the LM forums seem to be down just now. I've not had any serious problems with win8.1 despite various warnings. Personally I'm waiting a few months before going to win10 and I'll probably keep 8.1 and put 10 on a separate disk as mostly I'm probably not going to use it except to help friends and relatives until DX12 games come out. Now that I've ditched my 770's for a single 980ti I'm looking forward to seeing new things in P3D ;).

No performance gains in Win 10. Not yet.

As you say, wait some months, Windows is't going anyway and there's a year long window (sic) for the free update. Needs a few patches and some enhancements like DX12 and probably P3D v3 before any time is justified.

Just curious, I have been busy so out of the loop for a bit was wondering how P3D was working in Windows 10...the LM forums seem to be down just now. I've not had any serious problems with win8.1 despite various warnings. Personally I'm waiting a few months before going to win10 and I'll probably keep 8.1 and put 10 on a separate disk as mostly I'm probably not going to use it except to help friends and relatives until DX12 games come out. Now that I've ditched my 770's for a single 980ti I'm looking forward to seeing new things in P3D ;).

I read posts on other forums as well as on 2 different P3D Facebook groups and have read quite a few problems that people have run into when switching to Windows 10. Some people have even had to roll back to Windows 7 to solve the problems. My P3D on W7 runs perfectly, and since no definitive evidence points to any increase in performance with W10, I am not going to install it for at least a few months, and maybe never. My motto is "If it ain't broke, I am not going to fix it".

Despite vehement objections by some "believers", there is NOTHING inherent in W10 that will improve performance of FSX or P3D. Some report increased fps, etc but anytime you install a new OS, you wind up cleaning out a LOT of junk that's left over from the old OS. That alone could result in a perceived performance benefit. To anyone who reports aHUGE gain, there are a few, I say that their system was screwed up to start with and the new install just cleared up the issues.

Down the road - sure - the OS will get tightened, the DX12 support will apply (maybe) and other changes and fixes may result in a winner for the sim community.

Until that time - experiment and test but to blindly install W10 on your main flight system is, IMHO, foolhardy at best!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Sorry guess I didn't make it clear, I know there is no performance gain for DX11 and under and no DX 12 games yet. I was just wondering if anyone had had any specific problems getting P3D to run under Windows 10. There is some performance gain in Windows 10 in general (there are benchmarks of clean installed 10 vs 8.1 and 7) but it is a minimal improvement for those with fast systems and SSD (especially vs 8.1, 7 is a bigger jump).

Have now been able to get to the LM forums, don't seem to be too many problems other than some weird ORBX bug that keeps the upgrade from working (clean install is a better way to go anyway). There may also be a problem with the Saitek drivers, but that thread died out so hopefully the older drivers still work (this is true for some people with sound cards, sometimes their old drivers work sometimes not).

Like I said when I get Win10 it will be a purchased copy and on a different drive mainly to play with on my desktop while keeping my current setup if P3D ever becomes a DX12 program I'll move it to 10 no doubt. I'll upgrade my tablet soon just for fun though. I never liked 8.1 I'm hoping 10 is better...otherwise I may just install classicshell so I can make it work like I want.

I believe that DX12 is a natural progression for P3D but I agree that it's not going to be anytime soon. I guessing the next release will be V3.0 and don't expect DX12 until V4.

Reading between the lines, I gather that LM is working very hard on the VAS issue and SLI. On a decent system, there are few major problems with P3D so they have a relatively stable product. A while back LM stated that they were going to get every bit of performance out of 32bit application before going to 64.

All in all, I think it means ongoing good times for the sim community - plus a new round of tweaking. :)

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Despite vehement objections by some "believers", there is NOTHING inherent in W10 that will improve performance of FSX or P3D. Some report increased fps, etc but anytime you install a new OS, you wind up cleaning out a LOT of junk that's left over from the old OS. That alone could result in a perceived performance benefit. To anyone who reports aHUGE gain, there are a few, I say that their system was screwed up to start with and the new install just cleared up the issues.

Down the road - sure - the OS will get tightened, the DX12 support will apply (maybe) and other changes and fixes may result in a winner for the sim community.

Until that time - experiment and test but to blindly install W10 on your main flight system is, IMHO, foolhardy at best!

Vic

+ 1

Thanks for the info everyone. Guess it's just a matter of when before I jump to 10. If I like it enough I'll probably start moving things like P3D over.

As to when P3D gets 64bit I hope it's sooner rather than later, but I haven't had any problems but them I'm not into buying fancy payware planes and scenery I find the default scenery pretty nice actually. But the future is 64bit especially with a memory/processor hungry program type such as a flight simulator. I think going to DX12 would be secondary actually to moving to 64bit but hopefully both will happen. I remember though when we finally got 32bit address space on the PC, it just seemed so big and vast and now it looks small and old...like me. Still I'm glad LM is working on what MS abandoned I think the future looks promising.

I've been running Windows 10 since the Windows Insider program. I have had no problems at all running P3D, FSX-SE, FSX,FS9 and X-plane. I have not experienced any problems the others describe.

The problem you DO have is that Win 10 is not yet supported by L-M. So your expectations of support are unlikely to be met.

Wait.

And yes, I was part of the Insider program too. Now reverted back to Win 7 64 and will wait until maturity - for example there is a memory leak in the current Nvidia drivers. So the OOM issue with a heavily-overloaded sim is made worse by use of Win 10.

Bottom line - P3D does NOT support Win10. It *may* or *may not* run. If it does run, it may stop at any time and you are on your own.

By all means, give it a try if you wish but don't expect anyone to bail you out of any problems because no one has ANY REAL experience with it.

As long as you are prepared to wipe your system and start over - have fun.

I have no doubt that W10 will prove to be a decent OS but it needs time to settle.

I'll probably give it a shot around the end of the year - even with many people posting "it runs fine with W10" there are many more posting that it does not.

So - make up your own mind but be aware that it is a crapshoot - if you lose, you reinstall.

Vic

P3D Rig

• 2 weeks later...

Option 1) - go back to your prior OS

Option 2) - Use a different stick

Option 3) - See if there's a compatible FF stick available

That's about it from where I sit.

Vic

P3D Rig

I have found out that after 3 weeks of use I find my MS force feedback 2 will not now work in Win 10. On checking it is not combatible with Win 10.

So what do I do now?

John

Hello,

Contact the FS Force support, they have a solution.

On my system FS Force works

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10 Pro X64

Exactly what Vic and I have been saying. Issues, issues, issues.

Win 10 does NOT show any improvement for P3D performance. P3d will need to be optimised for that to happen. It may or may not happen with V3, it may or may not happen with further fixes and patches to the OS.

A total crap shoot.

And requiring a payware product to fix issues with an MS product in an MS software platform hardly constitutes a `solution`. It's an exemplar of what is currently wrong with Win 10.

Running Win10 Pro 64 bit, upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit, and P3DV2.5 with absolutely no issues -- none!

Lyn

Win10 64 Pro,Gigabyte X79-UB4,500Gb SSD , I7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz LC,EVGA RTX 2081Ti,32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz, P3DV2.3, My Traffic Pro

Running Win10 Pro 64 bit, upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit, and P3DV2.5 with absolutely no issues -- none!

Lyn

Consider yourself lucky, for now. Everything may turn just fine but there s no guarantee that the next version of P3D or some new add-on will not change that.

Someone has to be a tester. I'll switch when it has been proven stable on a MAJORITY of systems.

Vic

P3D Rig

And I'm only talking about as it relates to flightsim use. The negative reports on W10 as it relates to everything else are quite revealing. Lot's of phoning home by default, etc.

Vic

P3D Rig

Lyn

Same experience upgrading to Win 10 for me. I AM PLEASED, VERY, VERY PLEASED. EXTREMELY STABLE AND QUICK TO BOOT UP.

I do have 1 issue.

F1TGTNConfigP3D Version 1.11 installs fine but gauge will not work on planes configured properly. Shows black screen instead of opening up the GTN750. The Garmin Trainer works perfectly. Still searching for an answer/help.

Cheers/Regards,

Tomas

Archived