Landing and flare visual reference points

Pilton

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to improve my landings in the Boeing 737-800 and I would like to know what the boeing technical site and the boeing manuals mean by shifting your visual aiming point 3/4 down the runway to assist the fare. What does that mean, does it mean you just look at the end of the runway and that somehow helps you to judge height or do you adjust pitch to aim the aircraft 3/4 the way down the runway like you would have been aiming at the TDZ.

I appreciate any responses,

Rupert

Rupert's Software

PC Specs: i7 4790K 4.4ghz, 16gb 2400 mhz, GTX970 4gb, 128gb ssd, 1tb hdd, zalman z11 plus

Just as in a car or on a bicycle, looking too close to you in an airplane when landing results in less than desirable control of the vehicle. During the approach (visual) your aim point is near the approach end of the runway, but when you're in the flare that's way too close, so you need to change where you are looking to look well down the runway. If you think of the distance from your eyes to your visual aim point as a lever or pole, when it is long you can see very small changes of the aircraft relative to the ground, but when it is short it takes a much larger change to be noticeable.

On the other hand, pitch (elevator) control is what controls the aircraft's sink rate/descent, so that's adjusted to make the airplane do what you want.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thank you very much for that detailed explanation. I understand now and hopefully I'll be able to improve my landings in the NGX. One quick question, does this apply to the sim or due to the view being fix

Rupert Smith,

Rupert's Software

PC Specs: i7 4790K 4.4ghz, 16gb 2400 mhz, GTX970 4gb, 128gb ssd, 1tb hdd, zalman z11 plus

It also applies to every plane. When landing, from a glider on up, I've had drilled into my skull (with a yard-stick, once or twice, from the rear seat) that just about to start the flare, LOOK DOWN THE RUNWAY, all the way to the end.

Same for the Boing 737, Cessna 172, FA-18, you name it, although the "end of the runway" on a carrier is pretty close...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

On the other hand, pitch (elevator) control is what controls the aircraft's sink rate/descent, so that's adjusted to make the airplane do what you want.

Pitch - and POWER. In level, trimmed flight, increasing power will make the airplane climb. Decreasing power will result in a descent.

Pitch and power are closely interrelated, and it takes a combination of both pitch and power to establish any given airspeed and ascent/descent rate.

Archived