FSX-SE won't start

I am totally unfamiliar with FSX in general and SE in particular. It ran fine yesterday AM, then in the evening it wouldn't start. I get a message from Windows (Vista64 if it matters) that a fault has occurred and Windows is trying to find a solution, and that's it.

I neither added nor subtracted anything from FSX-SE in the intervening interval between working and not-working. I did NOTHING on the computer, actually. It was not used for anything.

I have rebooted, run a couple cleanups with CCCleaner, Norton's disk-doctor and Windoctor, rebooted, rebooted again, nothing. Same message.

I can't seem to find the "repair" for FSX-SE if there is one, and I am getting close to the famous UNINSTALL/REINSTALL.

Any suggestions will received very gratefully indeed!

Thanks in advance...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The solution for your problem is to install Windows 7 64bit dont bother going to Windows 8 or 8.1 you will have more problems just go with Windows 7 professional 64bit or wait and read the response about Windows 10

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

As much as I do like windows 7, before you take that drastic step, have you looked in event viewer to see what might be shown there and possibly fixed? And if you do need or want to try the repair, I'm sure a simple Google search for FSX SE repair will help you figure that out.

Maybe your FSX registry went somewhat corrupt (and by cleaning things up and tinkering around, things often go wurse)

I would try with Flight 1 's "Registry repair" (free and easy of use). It usually repairs the FSX (SE) path in a second.

Another one is "fsx_reg_utility", also free as far as I remember.

You may also want to check if you don't have a duplicate *.cfg file in Disk:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, it has happened to me, I had FSX.CFG and FSX-SE.CFG in the same folder, which was a source of conflicts. Only a fresh reinstall of FSX SE got rid of the problem.

The solution for your problem is to install Windows 7 64bit

That is buying a new car, when you have a flat tire:cool:

Hope this helps.

Luc

What i say up there is from an experience with vista and i could swear that each day i have a new problem with an airplane airports scenery or with the systems itself

So what if the car was broken from the manufacturer and you can't fix it you have to buy a new car

for the FSX BOX AND STEAM

you have to install one of them on the system to prevent any other type of issues

You may do what i did buy a

2x 1TB hard drive and install windows on both of them and install FSX BOX on the first on

And FSX STEAM on the second one if you do what i suggest

You will be out of issues

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

Hi Pat,

To know what caused the error you'll need to look for the faulting module.

You can find the faulting module in The event log

In windows click on Start. Controll panel - System and security - Events Logs.

Open View event logs. Navigate to Custom Views and then Administrative Events and locate the error by FSX.

I'll show you an example of the error details :

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x04f40000

Faulting process id: 0xb84

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5e7b4fec05cd

Faulting application path: E:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 85f639de-ca93-11e2-afac-00e04c054dc3

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I say again, this was an example. Post your error details similar to this.

Post the entire error details.

You can grab the tekst by selecting it with the mouse and pressing +

Then paste it with +

il88pp

more info about posting the error is in the 'sticky', the first thread in the fsx-forum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go to where ever steam is installed on your computer... usually C:\ Program Files (x86)\ Steam. and delete the file named "appcache" reboot your computer then start FSX from the Steam app not from any short cut.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Oops, forgot something. Have you tried renaming the logbook.

That file may have become corrupt, and that prevents startup.

By renaming and then starting fsx a new log will be created.

If that works you can rest easy, and then you can repair the old log with a logbook fixer in the library.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My internal...err...ETERNAL gratitude to all for the suggestions! I have saved them all off into a txt file for next time, and there will be one, I am sure.

I found the problem, and this just points out how screwy MSFS can be sometimes. I went into the FSX.cfg file, and per a suggestion I saw in a google entry one the Vista forums (of all places!) I deleted the entry after "SITUATION=". In this case, "FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM", which, as far as I know, is the default. Bingo! Fired right up. When I looked again, same line. I didn't change the default flight, add or subtract any aircraft, or effects, although the error log indicated visualfx.dll was the faulting module. But that fixed the problem!

Just in case anyone else encounters this problem. Hope it solves it for someone else :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FYI there is absolutely zero need to reinstall FSX SE for any reason other than registry wonkyness. The game data backed up on steams cloud system, and all you have to do is use the "verify game cache" option and steam will scan for corrupted or missing files and replace them.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My internal...err...ETERNAL gratitude to all for the suggestions! I have saved them all off into a txt file for next time, and there will be one, I am sure.

I found the problem, and this just points out how screwy MSFS can be sometimes. I went into the FSX.cfg file, and per a suggestion I saw in a google entry one the Vista forums (of all places!) I deleted the entry after "SITUATION=". In this case, "FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM", which, as far as I know, is the default. Bingo! Fired right up. When I looked again, same line. I didn't change the default flight, add or subtract any aircraft, or effects, although the error log indicated visualfx.dll was the faulting module. But that fixed the problem!

Just in case anyone else encounters this problem. Hope it solves it for someone else :D

Pat☺

Glad you got it going and that's great you came back and told us what the solution was. That's how we all learn.

Archived