SSTSIM autopilot

Captain Andy Poppens

can someone tell me how to use the SSTSIM autopilot

I can indeed Captain. I have conducted many flights with Concorde.

but where to start? The manual/tutorial goes into a huge amount of detail, and there is no point me repeating it here.

Is there any specific aspect you are not understanding. Let me know and I can go into detail on that function.

Max climb is used during the transonic climb phase. When the climb is begun you will be at approx 400 kias/M0.93. Autopilot on in ALT HLD. Autothrottle on in MACH HLD. Procedure is to disengage autothrottle and disengage ALT HLD. Push throttles full forward ( no autothrottle) engage reheat in pairs and pitch the aircraft to maintain VMO (you can see this on the yellow "barber pole"). You can then engage MAX CLB and the autopilot will use pitch to maintain VMO.

On reaching M 1.7 turn off reheat.

When reaching approx 48-51,000 feet MAX CLB will automatically change to MAX CRS. This is the mode you will stay in until you are ready to descend.

You use ALT ACQ is when you wish the aircraft to level off and hold the altitude dialed in on the MCP. You use ALT ACQ in conjunction with a climb /descent mode such as IAS HOLD (A/P mode-not A/T mode); Vertical Speed; or Pitch HLD. If you are using one of these modes and do not select ALT ACQ you will not level off at the desired altitude.

Note.....you do not use ALT ACQ with MAX CLB/MAX CRS. During the cruise Concorde will find its own optimum altitude and will climb (and sometimes descend) depending on temperature and weight. Only if you reach the ceiling of 60,000 feet would you intervene and select ALT HLD.

When the climb is begun you will be at approx 400 kias/M0.93. Autopilot on in ALT HLD. Autothrottle on in MACH HLD. Procedure is to disengage autothrottle and disengage ALT

This is the procedure on a London/Paris-New York Flight. A departure from New York or anywhere where you are departing directly out over the ocean, you do not need to be in level flight at M0.93, but simply climb in pitch mode until 400 kias then engage IAS HLD (A/P mode-not A/T mode), then engage MAX CLB and start the transonic climb at about 28,000 feet.

Did you actually read my post ........

You can then engage MAX CLB and the autopilot will use pitch to maintain VMO.

You will be climbing at the max VMO for your current weight/altitude. Speed will increase steadily throughout your climb until you reach M2.0 somewhere about 48000-51,000 feet

im a first timer im flying it right now and im climbing but losing speed can you give a picture of which angle to fly at so i can gain speed and altitude

What is your current altitude/and speed ?

Are you using a weather engine ...eg active sky....if so what is the current OAT (outside air temperature.

Please confirm you have the autothrottles OFF and the throttles at full power. If you are climbing between M0.95 and M1.7 the reheats must be on.

MAX CLB is the best mode to use at it will not allow you to "lose speed"

Well you dont use it on take off. You use it when you are beginning your transonic climb. I suggest you have a good read of the manuals if you really want to know how to fly this aircraft.

Simple guide:

Take off

cancel reheat but leave throttles full power

engae A/P in pitch mode

adjust pitch to accelerate to 400 kias

at 400 kias engage IAS HLD (A/P mode)

at 28000 feet engage MAX CLB and engage reheat

at M1.7 cancel reheat

Archived